License Policy When a critical add-on turns into Abandonware ?

nortonlgn

I purchased a module several years back (chase paymentech module).  The module is no-longer supported by the developer, and Prestashop no longer has the module listed.  In the past few years I have modified the module to work, as Chase Paymentech has changed it security protocols.

I have tried to contact the original developer by phone and email without success.

I am now moving multiple stores to Prestashop, and I now need to use this module for my other stores. No other add-on providers are providing this functionality, or else I would go that route.

So I am left with no option but to use this module for my new stores.  

Will this work, or do I need to get some sort of waiver from Prestashop to get the license to work on multiple stores (prestashop websites) ?  

As module is no longer listed on the PrestaShop it should work. 

Every module sold on PrestaShop market has special key. If module is made custom it does not have that key.

The only difference is in the installation process (shows warning), but it does not affect how module works in any way.

As you modified the module yourself and developer is no longer supporting it, I think we can say that you custom developed that module and all the license should belong to you.

Just to clarify.  When the module was listed with Prestashop market , it did have a key which I have to specify a website to validate it's use.  Now that it is no longer available in Prestashop, your message suggests that validation will be ignored, for any future stores that I use this module in.

Note:  I only made functional changes in the module.  I did not modify the module/ or the Prestashop code  to bypass any Prestashop license validations checks, and I have no intention in doing so.

So I this case, my understanding is that Prestashop will simply ignore license compliance with regard to abandonware.

Unfortunately the terms and conditions do not cover this use case, so it really is not enforceable by either side.  In addition, the community cannot answer this question for you, and the addons team does not routinely monitor or respond to forums topics.

When the module was listed with Prestashop market , it did have a key which I have to specify a website to validate it's use.

This is surprising and not a practice that would pass today's PS validation standards.

The legal answer is no. Your need of the module and the creator's abandonment doesn't change IP law and the licencing wouldn't allow for multiple installs. That said IP law only matters if someone makes a fuss and given he has abandoned the module I doubt he will. 

The technical answer I don't know but if there is some validation system in place it would be ridiculously easy to bypass.   

Modules are cheap enough that I feel people should have no issues paying for additional copies given that stores are revenue generating additions to their businesses but if there is no one to pay you can't really do much about that -- donate what you would have paid to some good cause or something.

Well I guess I will just keep track of it as an accrued liability in my accounting software, for  every copy I use.  If the developer ever comes forward with proof that he/she was the developer and and an invoice; it will be paid.

PS: If you are a PrestaShop developer, and you abandon your product; it's a good idea to leave a contact number or email with Prestashop Marketplace, so you can get paid for future use of your software or any derivative works.

it's a good idea to leave a contact number or email with Prestashop Marketplace

We would love to do that but it's against PrestaShop rules. 

We can not provide any identification what so ever if we want to sell in marketplace because PrestaShop is afraid that we will lure they customers.