ZEN option, Premium support and pricing model

Tung at RockPOS.com

If you're a contributor, you must be similar to this new ZEN option when selling an addon on PrestaShop Addons marketplace.

But it's quite new for customers who purchase addons and premium support here.

I'll be summarizing what it is and how it works.

ZEN option includes 12 months of technical supports, and it's valid for minor releases as well as major release.

Only Captain and Superhero contributors can provide this option.

What if a contributor is not Captain or Superhero?

Or what if I, as a customer, don't purchase ZEN option?

Yes, in both of cases, it falls down to basic support which includes: 3 months of technical support and only minor releases.

What about pricing model?

As a customer, you can subscribe to ZEN option at 3 different times:

- (1) At the time and along with your purchase of the main addon, for example, our RockPOS Point of Sale (POS) Pro.

- (2) Within 3 months after purchase.

- (3) Since 4th months after purchase but not after 12 months

In which, (1) is the best option - you can benefit from the best price. (2) is a bit higher in price. And (3) is provided with full price and usually costs up to 80% of the main addon.

019eb31c-392e-11e6-81e9-e9108b943cca.png

What's else?

These notices are important and worthy to read it carefully:

1. Currently, you can't renew ZEN option. I guess, it would be possible in future.

2. ZEN option, currently only takes effect during 12 monhts after purchase regardless of when you subscribe to ZEN option.

Let's say:

You purchase addon A in January.

Then, in September, you decide to subscribe to ZEN option. It does not mean, you benefit from ZEN option until next September. Instead, it will expire in next January, 12 months after the purchase

I do hope this will help customers decide which to go with. 

In my opinion, the first option is always the best one: best price and longest time-frame support.

Like it?

Leave your comments or share your thoughts below.

Tung

• Like 1

Good question, Simonas! That's the same problem after 12 months of ZEN option as well as after 3 months of basic support.

This is clearly indicated by PrestaShop:

Indeed, after 90 days you no longer offer free support. However, in certain cases, you will need to extend your support after 90 days:
- The customer contacts you after a minor update for your module: when updating it, an error occurred, you should help them.Indeed, this type of error is covered free-of-charge as part of basic support included in all modules and themes,
- The customer contacts you within the 90 days of support but solving their problem takes longer than expected.

Actually, we don't care too much about that. 
To be more simple, if there is a bug, we always give our best support to solve it, regardless of how long after purchase.

But the fact is that, at that time of support, you might release several versions (especially major ones) and the latest version already fixes the problem. Will you have to send them the updates? The answer is obviously NO. But you sill have to fix it! In this case, we usually provide 2 options:
- (1) Manually fix it for them
- (2) Simply send them the latest version
And most likely, we prefer (2), because it takes less time. And more importantly, we provide our customers more values.
Finally, we (seller) and customers (buyers) are in a win-win solution.

Makes sense?

Thank you for sharing this information.

I have one question to add: What happens after 12 months? Is developer free to no longer provide any support? If so can a customer still write a 1 star review for bad support?

But if you agree to the terms that support will lapse after 90 days, or after 12 months if you purchase the Zen option, then the contributor only has to provide support for 90 days or 12 months.

Why would you provide a 1 star rating if they have done what they are obligated to do?

Why would you provide a 1 star rating if they have done what they are obligated to do?

Because people are emotional and illogical.

Last week I got a message asking for support of module which client bought in 2012. That module is no longer in addons marketplace, but the client still found a way to write to me... 

What if you get so many bad reviews (after 3/12 period is over) that you can no longer apply for the Captain? 

What if you fall out of Captain one month and comeback next, do you need to resubmit all your marketing?

I hope PrestaShop thought out all the worst case scenario. 

Zen option is very cool way to earn more money, but there are so many things that can go wrong.

• Like 1

What if you fall out of Captain one month and comeback next, do you need to resubmit all your marketing?

I don't think we have to resubmit your products in terms of marketing.

What if you get so many bad reviews (after 3/12 period is over) that you can no longer apply for the Captain? 

No idea :(

In my opinion, it's a true fact but not a big deal. We accept this as a risk. And we accept (and have to accept) that risk.

Let's say, your module works flawlessly. Your support is super great. But a customer, in a certain day, can give you a bad rating. He has his own right to do so. 

Anyway, don't worry, if you get 99 good ratings and 1 bad rating, it's not a matter, right?

In the other words, deliver good modules, great support and that's it. Don't care about the bad rating unless you want to take it into account to improve your addons.

Just my thoughts. I'm not a PrestaShop crew :)

Let's say, your module works flawlessly. Your support is super great. But a customer, in a certain day, can give you a bad rating. He has his own right to do so.

I don't agree.  Look at how ebay has changed their feedback policy over the years.  As a buyer, I used to be able to provide negative feedback based on shipping delays.  However with tracking as good as it is, ebay knows when that package was sent and received.  If it falls into the terms of shipping, I cannot provide a bad rating.  And that makes sense, the seller shipping that package as they were obligated to, and should not be able to be rated poorly

That same concept applies here.  If the seller has provided support as obligated, then PS should not allow support to be rated poorly.

Look at how ebay has changed their feedback policy over the years.  As a buyer, I used to be able to provide negative feedback based on shipping delays.  However with tracking as good as it is, ebay knows when that package was sent and received.  If it falls into the terms of shipping, I cannot provide a bad rating.  And that makes sense, the seller shipping that package as they were obligated to, and should not be able to be rated poorly

That same concept applies here.  If the seller has provided support as obligated, then PS should not allow support to be rated poorly.

I totally agree with you.

Yes, PrestaShop should care about that, to make the market runs smoothly.

Anyone from PrestaShop team here???

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello

When I bought a new module, and i take zen support. Is the support also for a old module or just for the new one?

Zen support: when you buy a module you will have 12 months free support. After these 12 months there is only a support, if developer offers one, of offers support extension package you can buy for another 12 months. It's like garantee inherit of these 12 months after purchase. The zen period is clear stipulated: 12 months AFTER purchase only.

So if the addon bought on Prestashop official addons site is older than 12 months you will not have any right on upgrades, updates or free support after these 12 months.