Prestashop Migration Issue

russellmorgan

Good day everyone. 

I have just recently moved my prstashop LOCAL installation to my LIVE server. 

After configuration different php files in the config directory and making changes to the appropriate tables in the database, I eventually got the site to load on the live server. 

However, no product images were being loaded, and everytime I clicked a category I would get a 404 error. 

After trying SEVERAL different things with no changes, I decided to try to log into the Back Office. I successfully did that. 

I then went to PREFERENCES -> SEO and URL

Then I changed the SHOP DOMAIN value to something incorrect.

Eg :  

FROM -> domain.com

TO -> domain.com/directory

The base URL was also changed to something incorrect. 

Eg : 

FROM -> /directory/presta

TO -> /presta

I saved it. 

Then I reloaded the FRONT OFFICE, and the page did not load properly. I did a second refresh, and got a 404 error. 

I then went back to the tab with the BACK OFFICE open, and changed the SHOP DOMAIN and BASE URLs back to the correct values

EG

FROM -> domain.com/directory

TO -> domain.com

and

FROM -> /presta

TO -> /directory/presta

Then I saved it. 

When I reloaded the FRONT OFFICE, everything was fixed. 

I have been debugging this issue for 2 hours and I would desperately like to know WHY that worked and WHY there was an issue in the first place. 

I have the latest version of Prestashop I believe, 1.6.1.5

EDIT:
I also regenerated the images BEFORE I had changed the URLs in the BACK OFFICE. THat did not fix the issue.

Also to note, I had deleted the .htaccess file from the root folder as one of the first steps, that did not remedy the issue. 

I cleared the browser cache SEVERAL times, that did not remedy the issue. 

I also changed the permissions of the folder recursively, I cant say whether or not that helped, because as of 11:21 PM the process is still running.

Edited by russellmorgan (see edit history)

@selectshop.at

Thanks for responding. Please note the edits I made in my original post. 

The shop is now working as stated in my original post, I would like a more detailed response as to why the issue even occurred in the first place; so that I have a better understanding.