Shared SSL Issue

maestroh

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I tell everyone using a shared SSL to get rid of it. Dedicated SSL's are cheap enough now that a shared SSL doesn't even make sense for all the problems it causes. I got my dedicated SSL from here http://www.namecheap.com

You know for new startups who haven't made any profits yet, the shared SSL is necessary before they get businesses going and afford to the dedicated SSL. And the situation is applied to majority of new startups.

I tell everyone using a shared SSL to get rid of it. Dedicated SSL's are cheap enough now that a shared SSL doesn't even make sense for all the problems it causes. I got my dedicated SSL from here http://www.namecheap.com

You know for new startups who haven't made any profits yet, the shared SSL is necessary before they get businesses going and afford to the dedicated SSL. And the situation is applied to majority of new startups.

I don't buy that. The price of a dedicated can be had for $10. There is no excuse for going with a shared certificate anymore. My dedicated certificate was $12.95 for a year and my hosting is $9.95 per month. I'm running my store on a budget as well.

So that's not a valid excuse at all. If you aren't serious enough to spend a minimum of $12.95 on your business... why should anyone feel safe making purchases at your store?

Come on, seriously.

I don't buy that. The price of a dedicated can be had for $10. There is no excuse for going with a shared certificate anymore. My dedicated certificate was $12.95 for a year and my hosting is $9.95 per month. I'm running my store on a budget as well.

So that's not a valid excuse at all. If you aren't serious enough to spend a minimum of $12.95 on your business... why should anyone feel safe making purchases at your store?

Come on, seriously.

Alrite, my hosting is $1/month at http://www.3ix.com and still need some time and profits to afford the dedicated SSL. And that's one of the reasons that open-source e-commerce platform such as PrestaShop is popular because it's free. :)

Alrite, my hosting is $1/month at http://www.3ix.com and still need some time and profits to afford the dedicated SSL. And that's one of the reasons that open-source e-commerce platform such as PrestaShop is popular because it's free. :)

I'm not sure what part of the world you're in so I can't speak on what the cost of living or average wage is like where you are located. But if you lived in the US and you couldn't spend $12 on a dedicated certificate... I'd harshly state that you don't need to be in business.

Prestashop is not just popular because it's free... there's a ton of free carts out there... it's popular because it's GOOD.

Yeah well my host 1and1 who are not the best-loved in Prestashop circles doesn't allow me to install any old ssl cert I bought elsewhere and charges 10 euros per month for their Geotrust cert. So it would have been quite nice if Presta was coded a bit more compatible to shared ssl. I had an OsCommerce version running there before and it was just a question of changing one parameter for the ssl url and it worked a treat. I was impressed. but prestashop has a bit of tidying up to do on the ssl front anyway. Even now that I've given up and my client is paying for her ssl cert. there are loads of pages with mixed up secure and unsecure elements.

Switch hosts!!! In this day in age it's that damn simple! If you're host is having problems with Prestashop chances are they would probably have problems with the needs of any "modern" ecommerce software (ie: Magento).

My host company is optimized for such software. Actually it specializes in Magento hosting which is why I initially went with them. After deciding not to go with Magento for my store and installing Prestashop.... everything "just worked".

Some of the people on this forum are having sooooo many problems mostly due to inadequate hosting solutions. Sure you're paying $1 a month.. but the time that you're losing trying to get everything to work correctly just doesn't balance out.

Any host that doesn't allow you to have something as simple as a dedicated ssl cert is a shitty host. Let's just be honest about it.