Template Monster Theme

Hello all. First time post.

I am launching a small online (only) coffee business. I am struggling with which ecommerce platform to choose. There are so many opinions on the internet that frankly do more to confuse than they do help. In additioin to Prestashop, I have tried installing the other popular open source platforms as well (Magento, Wordpress/WooCommerce)

To be honest, I have not spent monthe trying to learn any one of them to any large degree. I just don't have the time to test all of the features / differences.

So far, Prestashop appears to be user-friendly and the learning curve doesn't seem to be that steep. I ahe a question or two:

1) I have come across a template that might just fit the bill. How difficult is it going to be to apply this template and how difficult is it going to be to modify the theme to my liking.

2) What happens if / when there is a Prestashop version update. How will that affect the installed template.

3) Is there anything that I should be aware of before undertaking this project

Here is the template that I am referring to:

http://www.templatemonster.com/demo/48663.html

Thank you all in advance. Your assistance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For newcomers to ecommerce, PrestaShop makes it easy to get started with.

1) Most of PrestaShop templates follow basic steps of adding a theme, but you have to look into it's documentation because some might need additional steps. Some themes come with their own theme configuration module that allows you to make changes like color, fonts, sizes, etc. without touching any code. How easy it will be to adjust to your liking depends on how close it's already from the start and what changes you will need. Some modifications might require to handle code, which, depending on the complexity, you might apply with some indications or you'll need to hire a developer.

2) PrestaShop is known to make it hard to upgrade from one major version to another. So pay attention at what kind of support is the developer offering for the template. On small version upgrades there shouldn't be any issues.

3) PrestaShop 1.7 will be released probably in a few months (currently beta) and the theme system has been completely changed. Take into consideration if you want to start your project with version 1.6 or wait until 1.7, because some of the themes that work now with 1.6 might not get rewritten again for 1.7.

Also take a look at our themes, they come with an advanced theme options module from which you can adjust many aspects of design. Fortress is our latest theme and will be the first to be ported for PrestaShop 1.7.

Edited by premiumpresta (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1) if you are not developer and want to have another design, than you should choose one proved by Prestashop at paid addons site. http://addons.prestashop.com . Do you and us a favour, and don't by outside. On template Monster, evanto, etc. you will find designer not really knowing Prestashop. There is no guarantee the addon or theme will work. And of course no guarantee for upgrade either. Some of approved designers selling in Prestashop addons page, also are selling there, but only a few one. So it is a risk.

2) No one theme in use with PS 1.5/1.6. will work with PS1.7. Don't trust in statements given that it will. It will not. Technically not possible cause Prestashop 1.7 is not built on smarty anymore. It is using Symfony framework now. Complete other technique. Most of theme developer will adapt their themes, but let us say, this is not done with simply adaptation. It should be redesigned completely. So a lot oft work.

If you can't wait, you can begin with Prestashop 1.6, by building-up your shop with native theme, so don,t care in design for now. Make it technically 100% working. After PS 1.7 is released you can than upgrade and look for a proper design. This is the way I will manage it personally.

• Like 1

For newcomers to ecommerce, PrestaShop makes it easy to get started with.

1) Most of PrestaShop templates follow basic steps of adding a theme, but you have to look into it's documentation because some might need additional steps. Some themes come with their own theme configuration module that allows you to make changes like color, fonts, sizes, etc. without touching any code. How easy it will be to adjust to your liking depends on how close it's already from the start and what changes you will need. Some modifications might require to handle code, which, depending on the complexity, you might apply with some indications or you'll need to hire a developer.

2) PrestaShop is known to make it hard to upgrade from one major version to another. So pay attention at what kind of support is the developer offering for the template. On small version upgrades there shouldn't be any issues.

3) PrestaShop 1.7 will be released probably in a few months (currently beta) and the theme system has been completely changed. Take into consideration if you want to start your project with version 1.6 or wait until 1.7, because some of the themes that work now with 1.6 might not get rewritten again for 1.7.

Also take a look at - link removed - , they come with an advanced theme options module from which you can adjust many aspects of design. thortress us our latest theme and will be the first to be ported for PrestaShop 1.7.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I reall appreciate it. The link that you provided was removed so I am not sure where it was going to lead me. And, what is "thortress"

The link is the same as in my signature and "thortress" is actually Fortress. I guess the moderator didn't liked the name.  :)

Repaired, perhaps it was deleted together with link and than changed wrongly.

I see, you already repaired it by yourself.... Thank you.

1) if you are not developer and want to have another design, than you should choose one proved by Prestashop at paid addons site. http://addons.prestashop.com . Do you and us a favour, and don't by outside. On template Monster, evanto, etc. you will find designer not really knowing Prestashop. There is no guarantee the addon or theme will work. And of course no guarantee for upgrade either. Some of approved designers selling in Prestashop addons page, also are selling there, but only a few one. So it is a risk.

2) No one theme in use with PS 1.5/1.6. will work with PS1.7. Don't trust in statements given that it will. It will not. Technically not possible cause Prestashop 1.7 is not built on smarty anymore. It is using Symfony framework now. Complete other technique. Most of theme developer will adapt their themes, but let us say, this is not done with simply adaptation. It should be redesigned completely. So a lot oft work.

If you can't wait, you can begin with Prestashop 1.6, by building-up your shop with native theme, so don,t care in design for now. Make it technically 100% working. After PS 1.7 is released you can than upgrade and look for a proper design. This is the way I will manage it personally.

Thank you. I really value your input. Have a wonderful day.

I did have a question. When you say "you can begin with Prestashop 1.6, by building-up your shop with native theme, so don,t care in design for now. Make it technically 100% working. After PS 1.7 is released you can than upgrade and look for a proper design. This is the way I will manage it personally." I agree. My question is: If my current version of PS is 1.6.1.5 at my hosting provider, can I keep PS from automatically updating to version 1.7.x if and when it is released? Basically I would like to lock in the version until I decide otherwise. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?