Miple Items Shipping Weight

Getalinks

Hi all,

I searched the forums for an answer for this, but I don't see any topics that are close to what I am asking.

If I am shipping a single item, the weight of the item is 1lb 10oz (item + packaging), but if someone is to purchase two items, the weight would be calculated as 3lbs 4oz (1lb 10oz x 2). But that weight isn't true as the second item doesn't have the additional weight of the packaging, it's only 1lb by itself.

Is there a way to have the shop understand that each item has a weight (1lb) and the shipping material weighs 10oz and calculate the weight at the end like a formula like this (2lbs (2 items) + 10oz (shipping material)) = 2lbs 10 oz.

Is there a setting I need to change or is this something I'm missing.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

So no one has this issue or has clue how to fix it? Is this domething I need to email Prestashop directly to figure out? I'm rather surprised no one has dropped in and told me a reply one way or the other... Anyone?

But a product's weight isn't the weight a package will be when shipped. There will be an extra weight for the packaging materials. That doesn't make any sense that the shop doesn't include packaging weight in calculations anywhere. I'm missing something. How does everyone else get their weight of their packages (including packaging weight) being shipped when there are multiple items contained in the box?

• Like 1

If the packaging cost is always the same, you can use "shipping handling fee" to implement this.

You can set shipping handling fee at back office Shipping - Preferences tab.

And for each carrier, you can choose to include the shipping handling or not.

But that doesn't make sense doing it that way. You're talking adding in cost of shipping. I'm talking about adding in weight of shipping. Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly.

Example: 2 items weigh 1lbs each. That brings the total to 2lbs. Add the shipping weight of .5lbs and you get 2.5lbs.

The price to ship that via USPS will be different than shipping 3lbs or 4lbs. Trying to calculate the weight based on additional items with base shipping weight would make the most sense if you could add a way to add the weight of shipping material to the final package weight.

How do people do this on all their stores? Do they just not calculate the weight of the packaging in the weight of the package? if that's the case, then the price for shipping will always be skewed.

I'm so confused that something like this hasn't been thought of before. Either it hasn't or I'm really missing a step in the setup of shipping somewhere.

Thoughts?

Edited by Getalinks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I searched for this feature for a long time and i don't think that is available anywhere in Prestashop.

The way i fix it, and i assume everybody does, is reducing the weight of the packing materials from the ranges, for each carrier whose rates are based on weight. So if you have a range that goes from 0 grams to 1000 grams and your packing materials are 200 grams, then you change the range to 0-800grams to account for that. You do the same for total weight supported by that carrier.

It works for rates and carrier limitations. I don't show individual weights to visitors i front office. If anyone else knows of a different way, please post! Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 1/13/2018 at 4:48 PM, elisabotonalia said:

Hi, I searched for this feature for a long time and i don't think that is available anywhere in Prestashop.

The way i fix it, and i assume everybody does, is reducing the weight of the packing materials from the ranges, for each carrier whose rates are based on weight. So if you have a range that goes from 0 grams to 1000 grams and your packing materials are 200 grams, then you change the range to 0-800grams to account for that. You do the same for total weight supported by that carrier.

It works for rates and carrier limitations. I don't show individual weights to visitors i front office. If anyone else knows of a different way, please post! Thanks

And there is another approach I have implemented in my old ISC shopping cart, and the same approach can be used for Prestashop or any other shopping cart software.

The total product weight is multiplied by 1.1 (adding 10% for wrapping materials) and the box weight is added.

This way we can estimate the total package weight before shipping.

The formula is very simple: (total product weight before packing) x 1.1 + (box weight).

There are 5 or 7 standard postal boxes, and we should estimate which box will be used for a certain weight range.

I have edited the ISC shopping cart PHP code to insert this simple formula to correct the total product weight.

This method gives me surprisingly good results with minimal error.