Credit Card/Paypal Processing

Our payment provider is Paypal, both for credit card processing through Paypal Pro and direct Paypal Express payments.

We've had some issues with our payment modules in general.  We were unable to get the native PS Paypal module to display on our checkout page, where the Paypal express module worked. We bought the Presto Changeo Paypal module to solve this problem, but now the Paypal express button gives us an error.  Still working that out.

Prestashop version is 1.6.1.2

So you are using Paypal to process credit cards directly?  You want to have a credit card payment form in the back office order detail page where you could manually enter the credit card information and then submit to Paypal?  And you want the Presto Changeo Paypal module to be customized to handle this?  Have you already received their permission to do that?

On the Paypal, yes, they are our merchant credit card processor as well as the platform to process direct (express) traditional paypal payments.

I'm envisioning a replication of the credit card entry form that appears to the customer during checkout, but just on the order entry page in the back office. If we continue use the PC module, I would absolutely obtain permission to do so if required.  Alternatively, if we can get the native module working properly on the front office, that can be used in the BO also.

On the Paypal, yes, they are our merchant credit card processor as well as the platform to process direct (express) traditional paypal payments.

I'm envisioning a replication of the credit card entry form that appears to the customer during checkout, but just on the order entry page in the back office. If we continue use the PC module, I would absolutely obtain permission to do so if required.  Alternatively, if we can get the native module working properly on the front office, that can be used in the BO also.

Will you not have a problem with authentication? When you enter your customers credit card details you could be directed to a 3D secure page? Like verified by Visa? Your customer will not want to divulge their password for that

We do it by logging into Paypal virtual terminal which only requires the 3 digits from the back of the card

We don't have the 3D functionality here in the US and Canada.  I'm not sure how entering the credit card info in the backoffice of the same domain differs from entering it in the front office from a security point of view, i just need a place to do so.  Our customers do give us their full information including [spam-filter] by phone now and we're PCI compliant because we don't store any of the information.

I thought about using the Virtual terminal option, but we would have to enter all of the customer's contact information again (name, address, etc.) to process the transaction, which isn't workable in a call centre model.

The other workaround would be to enter the order in BO, then flip to the FO, login as the customer, call up the order and enter the CC info.  Still pretty messy and time consuming.

I'm certainly not a developer, but I'm unclear how displaying any data entry form on more than one page is an issue.   Maybe payment forms are dffierent.  Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks.

PS:  Maybe there's an opportunity for an enterprising developer to do a module for "call centers".  We have the traditional customer web order entry and there are some fine POS add-ons available, but we're sort of in between.  I researched POS modules to use but none had built-in payment processing and some had no shipping address entry availability, so no good for us.

I believe an easier approach would be to manually create the order, and place it in a temporary "pending" status, but skip making the payment.   Then on the order details page in the back office, it would be much easier for a module to place a card payment form, allowing you to enter the card number, expiration date and [spam-filter].

Creating a payment form is the easy part... the hard part is dealing with the Paypal API, dealing with card failures etc...

Have you looked to see if a module already exists that does something like the above?

Yes, I've pretty much looked everywhere. Is the issue that these modules as they exist can only be hooked to a front office page?  I was hopeful that we could place the form for an existing payment module onto the BO page so that we'd still have the benefit of the built-in security and be PCI compliant.

It's looking like my only workaround is to enter the order, then flip over to the Paypal Virtual Terminal to process the payment.  That leaves me having to re-enter the name and address information (to benefit from the safety of address verification) or skip that and increase my fraud risk.

There are no hooks in the 'create order' page in the back office.  There are hooks in the order detail page.  So the method I suggested above would still be better than using the Paypal virtual terminal.  Getting someone to implement that solution however could be the challenge.

We don't have the 3D functionality here in the US and Canada.  

We actually do have something that is very similar where online purchasers are required to enter a password. It was starting to become really popular years back and then just died. I don't shop online much but I haven't seen it in forever.

The way we handle your situation is with a physical keypad for the payment processor for the B&M store. If we didn't have that option we would just use the PayPal virtual terminal -- I understand the desire to have it as part of PrestaShop but I think you're adding a lot of complication for something that can be accomplished with a little inconvenience. There would have to be a very high volume of orders being processed outside of the normal method to justify the solution you're looking for.

Another option that you might consider is one of the POS modules for PrestaShop. Other than that they exist I can't tell you much about them but they might be a middle-ground that solves your problem. 

I agree with you.  With the research and input, it doesn't seem worth the cost. I think I'll probably use Virtual terminal and just get a couple of card swipers for in-store entry. We don't have that much walk-in traffic anyway. 

I looked at a number of PS POS solutions as well, none have integrated payment,  which I found strange, but understandable.  I actually use Prestashop Store Manager, which is an excellent overall platform with a built-in POS, but again no payments and no custom line entry capabilities.

So I'm down, I think, to Back Office with a custom order line module and Virtual Terminal.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I actually use Prestashop Store Manager, which is an excellent overall platform with a built-in POS, but again no payments and no custom line entry capabilities.

@RVPSRichard

Hi! 

As you have mentioned, POS, built in Store Manager application, does not allow to charge credit cards. The matter is Store Manager has been developed in full compliance with PCI (Payment Card Industry) Security Standards Council and is tend to avoid credit card fraud, and this is explained in this post http://blog.emagicone.com/2015/12/why-credit-cards-can-not-be-charged.html

It is advised to use payment processor module that ensures encrypted storage and retrieval of multiple credit cards.