Develop A Module Compatible For Versions Since 1.4

Hi,

I'm just discovering prestashop and I wanna develop a module for it.

My first question is from what version my module should be compatble with? After my research I've seen that the most used version is the 1.4 so for the moment I decided to use that version.

My second question is that if I start from the version 1.4, will my code be complexe to be compatible with the others versions (1.5 and 1.6) ? I've also done research for that and what I see is big changes for the hooks since v1.5.

And my last question is with the version 1.4 can I use the V3 of bootstrap in my module?

Thanks a lot for answering to these questions.

Sincerly yours

Could you share your research? 

You should not develop module for PS1.4

We had a few customers with PS1.5 but almost all were upgraded. 

If you want to develop module now you should do it only of PS1.6, if you can wait you should wait for PS1.7 release which should happen in a month or maybe two. We are all waiting for it.

Yes, changes are huge and I think it is better to have a module for each version than to try to do everything in one module especially if you want module that does something complex.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. 

Prestashop gave me an answer for version usage and its illustrated in the table below:

< 1.4 : < 4%

1.4 : 11.7 %

1.5 : 24.5 %

1.6 : 60.0 %

So finally I will become with the version 1.5.

And for my new research for the difference between the v1.5 and v1.6 I didn't find bing difference. The only thing I found is that bootstrap is natively integrated until the version 1.6.

So my new question is that for the v1.5 can I integrate bootstrap in my module and for the v1.6 use the native bootstrap given by prestashop ?

Also you said that it's better to have a module for each version. Is not possible to have a single module compatible with the v1.5 and the v1.6?

Thanks

Edited by djibythiaw (see edit history)

We have modules that work both on PS1.5 and PS1.6.

Differences are: module logo images sizes/types, product images tables/catalog structure, PS1.5 has mobile and desktop designs, PS1.6 has responsive design.

Of course there are more differences but these are of the top of my head.

The best way for you should be to get module that works on both versions of PS and analyze the code. Developers share free modules in this forum, maybe you can find something that would help you.