Addon Developer Support Period

jetx

I have a huge issue with the way each developer supports their products.

At the moment it is not displayed and the buyer will not know the product they purchased is no longer being supported until it stops working.

Some developers provide updates for the entire version, eg 1.5, 1.6, etc, and others for minor versions only, and still others are 6 months and 12 months.

It is a damned mess. It is urgent that prestashop address this serious issue. Do you know the only way right now is to go through every single mod in the downloads area of modules section and compare the version available against the version being promoted in the modules for sale pages.

A ridiculous situation.

Prestashop should dictate that every single developer that sells products on its site specify exactly how long they support their products for.

This (period of support) needs to be displayed to the customer prior to purchase.

I'm curious if you have read the contributor terms and conditions, perhaps it is stated in there?

Not in any of the 19 modules I've purchased through presta modules, although I only checked the first 8 I expect that to be a reasonable check. 

The modules download page actually should have a field which indicates the date support for that module ends, or the period it is good for.

Prestashop modules are an easy cash cow for the company, so the company can keep putting out new versions and maintain this revenue stream. I'd really like to see the company do a little more for the customer as currently it is a one way ripoff, ie.

• Support periods not displayed in either dev T&C, nor downloads section
  • Voting system for modules is a pathetic device geared to prevent the potential purchaser to view what a previous customer really thought of the module, problems encountered, etc. This I believe is to extract as much money as possible.

So my advice: You see a module you like? Don't buy it until you email the developer and find out what their support for that module is. And don't buy it unless the developer maintains a thread in the forums and you can see what support, problems affect the module.

The contributor terms and conditions is what the contributor accepts when they agree to upload a new module to the addons store.  To my knowledge, a contributor cannot maintain their own support model. 

You should read the contributor terms and conditions, as it may already define the support model that a contributor is required to adhere to.

https://addons.prestashop.com/pdf/terms/160118_CG_CONTRIBUTEUR_ADDONS_EN.pdf

A wasted exercise. It states: The Contributor is free to offer Clients Update Services for their Addons, either for free or in exchange for payment.

So, please, I rather you refrain from commenting in my threads as I honestly see nothing beneficial in what you have to say, ever. 

Really, so section 5.6 doesn't speak to the contributors support service?

The Contributor  guarantees  to  provide an available support service for his/her Addons for ninety (90) days after the sale. After this period,   the   Contributor   will   not   have   to provide   support   aiming   at   adapting   the Addon to the Client’s store evolutions

It specifically states that ALL contributors are required to support their product for 90 days after the sale. 

Prestashop should dictate that every single developer that sells products on its site specify exactly how long they support their products for.

So in short, Prestashop DOES DICTATE how long they need to support their products for.  If you find a contributor does not adhere to this, then you should contact Prestashop support directly.