Solved: How To Override Product_Reference Setting In Orderdetail.php?

Using Prestashop 1.6.1.2

In classes/order/OrderDetail.php we have function create(...) which sets product reference seen on invoice:

class OrderDetailCore extends ObjectModel
{

/** @var string */
    public $product_reference;

protected function create(Order $order, Cart $cart, $product, $id_order_state, $id_order_invoice, $use_taxes = true, $id_warehouse = 0)
    {

$this->product_reference = empty($product['reference']) ? null : pSQL($product['reference']);

}

}

I want to customize the behavior of the reference field on the invoice in override/classes/order/OrderDetail.php:

class OrderDetail extends OrderDetailCore
{
    protected function create(Order $order, Cart $cart, $product, $id_order_state, $id_order_invoice, $use_taxes = true, $id_warehouse = 0)
    {
        parent::create($order, $cart, $product, $id_order_state, $id_order_invoice, $use_taxes, $id_warehouse) ;

...some code which generates $my_custom_product_reference...

// next line of code has no effect, the product_reference field doesn't actually get changed

$this->product_reference = $my_custom_product_reference ;

}

}

I'm a little unclear on OOP in php, but I can kind of see why this doesn't work.  So I'm considering some options...

• Modify classes/order/OrderDetail.php (PS core mod, upgrade will break)
  • Try to figure out how to get the instance of OrderDetailCore and set $product_reference directly (it's public).
  • Develop a module and hook actionValidateOrder, then modify ps_order_detail.product_reference directly in the database.  I'm not sure how the module can find out the order id or reference when the hook function is called.
  • Override classes/order/OrderHistory.php and directly modify the database when an order's OrderState is set to FLAG_PAID

Any insights or ideas will be much appreciated!

Edited by JuanTomas (see edit history)

did you try adding save or update?

class OrderDetail extends OrderDetailCore
{
    {
        parent::create($order, $cart, $product, $id_order_state, $id_order_invoice, $use_taxes, $id_warehouse) ;
        ...some code which generates $my_custom_product_reference...
        // next line of code has no effect, the product_reference field doesn't actually get changed
        $this->product_reference = $my_custom_product_reference;
        $this->save();
    }
}