Reinstalling Prestashop

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, I couldn't find it in the forum.

I accidentally moved some files to folders i am not aware of, this led to a semi corrupt install. everything works 90% of the time. But every now and then while working in the back office, I get a 500 error about a misconfiguration.

So I am wondering, do I reinstall prestahop in a sub folder, and move it to the root? is there any other way I could potentially correct the error i made.

If I do a reinstall is it possible to still link the new one with my current database? I know I'd probably have to do all the configurations again. Does anyone have any suggestions? it will be highly appreciated!

Hi, it would be good idea to first try and resolve the 500 issue. 

If you have access to php error log (from hosting control panel) look to see if the underlying php error is revealed.  If it is not then enable PrestaShop debug mode:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/224525-how-to-turn-on-error-reporting-for-debug-information-blank-page-500-internal-server-error/

It is possible with error code to find out, for example if a file you might have moved caused issue, the php error will tell you exactly what failed to be fetched.

Hi, it would be good idea to first try and resolve the 500 issue. 

If you have access to php error log (from hosting control panel) look to see if the underlying php error is revealed.  If it is not then enable PrestaShop debug mode:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/224525-how-to-turn-on-error-reporting-for-debug-information-blank-page-500-internal-server-error/

It is possible with error code to find out, for example if a file you might have moved caused issue, the php error will tell you exactly what failed to be fetched.

Thank you!

Will try that and let you know!

I would suggest contacting your hosting company and/or find local webmaster than can give you can learn from on basic hosting maintenance (location of error log etc.).  Knowing the underlying error (recreate with debug mode on) you should be able to resolve in short order.  It takes many hats to run online presence. :)

Hello Thank you for responding.

I just uploaded the error message recieved

this typically but not always related to hosting throttle, if you run entry(s) against db then hosting will throttle.  Maybe this is a starter hosting account, if you were to post the hosting company link, and your hosting package link, then maybe community can review/search hosting and provide advice.  You may need to consider upgrading your existing hosting account or move to more compatible PS hosting.

• Like 1

this typically but not always related to hosting throttle, if you run entry(s) against db then hosting will throttle.  Maybe this is a starter hosting account, if you were to post the hosting company link, and your hosting package link, then maybe community can review/search hosting and provide advice.  You may need to consider upgrading your existing hosting account or move to more compatible PS hosting.

I use godaddy, I have had this hosting account since 2013, it is their Economy Web Hosting Linux. is there a know problem with Hosting with Godaddy?

I will call them to find out if there is a better option. 

I use godaddy, I have had this hosting account since 2013, it is their Economy Web Hosting Linux. is there a know problem with Hosting with Godaddy?

I will call them to find out if there is a better option. 

well some will come out of the wood work screaming about godaddy...lol (fabio where are you?)...jajajajaja

At the end of the day, the world needs to thank godaddy as hosting used to charge xx.xx per domain hosting....godaddy then released shared that supported basically unlimited domains on a simple shared....world your  welcome...

ok, my advice, and I ran godaddy vps starting out in ps...is to upgrade to goaddy vps with cpanel.  also they may be very kind and move your shop for you, but if not then there are many guides and advices on how to do this.

as our business grows...then our need for better hosting grows with it.

my advice would be to get new hosting, then copy (learn) how to create on new hosting without move to ensure server compatiblity....but in all honesty you could get a tech from job forums to do for 50 euros/dollars...

• Like 1

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, I couldn't find it in the forum.

I accidentally moved some files to folders i am not aware of, this led to a semi corrupt install. everything works 90% of the time. But every now and then while working in the back office, I get a 500 error about a misconfiguration.

This is what I read he moved some files to folders and now the issue so I figured re-upload files to regain original file structure.

well some will come out of the wood work screaming about godaddy...lol (fabio where are you?)...jajajajaja

At the end of the day, the world needs to thank godaddy as hosting used to charge xx.xx per domain hosting....godaddy then released shared that supported basically unlimited domains on a simple shared....world your  welcome...

ok, my advice, and I ran godaddy vps starting out in ps...is to upgrade to goaddy vps with cpanel.  also they may be very kind and move your shop for you, but if not then there are many guides and advices on how to do this.

as our business grows...then our need for better hosting grows with it.

my advice would be to get new hosting, then copy (learn) how to create on new hosting without move to ensure server compatiblity....but in all honesty you could get a tech from job forums to do for 50 euros/dollars...

Thank you so much for all your responses. if you have any hosting or web dev suggestions, I'd be happy to look into that!

At this point uploading files is the only solution if he moved files there should be no issues as it is the same files used to install in the first place, I would bet money that this would fix the issue.

If the database has an issue most host have an automatic backup that could be used to restore the database to before the issue evolved.

I have fixed many issues during testing of various versions just ny uploading files that I had modified and had less then desirable results.

In any case uploading the original files will certainly not hurt a thing as it will not over wright files that did not exist before installation such as setiings.inc.php.