Problems In The Translation Of Words

Yari

Hello everyone!

I have PrestaShop 1.6.1.4 and I have problems every time I try to translate some word with the localization / translation function.

When I put my new word in the blank field and then I press "Save" or "Save & Stay" I always obtain the same error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have tried to change access permissions on the public_html/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/index.php, but even with 777 permission I continue to get the same error.

Could someone help me please?

My PrestaShop installation is quite new and I haven't modified any important file of the engine of PrestaShop, so I really can't understand :-(

Thank you in advance!

Yari

'403' status means that files are not accessible though your browser. This is related to your server configuration.

'Do not have permission' means that every and I mean EVERY: directory has to gave 777 right and file has to have 666 right in that folder or subfolder or subsubfolder...

(Note in some cases it is enough to have 775 or even 755 but it depends on your server configuration)

• Like 1

Thank you tuk66 and Simonas Invertus!

Tuk66, I'm reading all that threads and I tried also to make some modification on the .htaccess file, but for now without solving the problem.

Simonas Invertus, I can try to change all the permissions on all my files, but I wonder why by default permissions are 644 and they work well for a lot of other functions that involve also .php files modification... it seems that only this translation function has problems...

755 permission won't led me to some security problems? With payments and so on it could be a problem for me.

In the worst case I'll find the string inside the .php file and I'll modify that but it seems strange to me that problem since it should work just with PrestaShop out-of-the-box.

Edited by Yari (see edit history)

This link explains permissions in detail:

http://linuxcommand.org/lts0070.php

Basically what you need to know is:

755 -> you can read&write.

777-> everyone can read&write. 

When you make a translation it is written not in the database but in the file and PrestaShop is not you, so it needs to have permissions to write translation. 

I hope this gives you a better understanding.  

• Like 1

Sure, thank you. I'll modify my permission settings.

It surprises me that in the installation videos and guides this passage is not suggested (I know that there could be a difference between different providers, but at least a suggestion it could be useful I think).

I have installed PrestaShop with my provider's Installatron application and I thought this kind of setting was already OK.

Thank you!

Yari

• 2 years later...
On 20.01.2016 at 11:47 AM, Yari said:

Sure, thank you. I'll modify my permission settings.

It surprises me that in the installation videos and guides this passage is not suggested (I know that there could be a difference between different providers, but at least a suggestion it could be useful I think).

I have installed PrestaShop with my provider's Installatron application and I thought this kind of setting was already OK.

Thank you!

Yari

Unfortunately I can't use it here