Moving From Open Cart To Prestashop

raunhar

I have a e-comm store , currently done on Open Cart.

As Open Cart is giving me Night mares, I am planning to move to either Presta SHop or Virtemart.

Please suggest, which will be good for a long run.

With good I mean:

Working Extentions

Addons

Support

Bug Free

Cost Wise.

Looking for good suggestions.

Hi Raunhar

I have made this move a few times backwards and forwards over the years as Prestashop is good but at times lacks features and was too complicated, the latest version and future devlopments are much better, and I am please to say I have been using Prestashop solidly for the past 2 Years.

In regards to you questions, there is no one set solution that I can reccomend for each bit, it totally depends on your situation and what you are currently using.

Working Extentions - Normally they all have very similar extensions, do you have any specific ones you are wanting?

Addons - There is a fairly large selection for the majority of platforms, again depends on what ones you are lookin for

Support - Is widley avliable for all

Bug Free - They all have thier pain points but they both work find ou of the box

Cost Wise. - Depends on mainly what extensions and addons you want

I know the above information is very generic, the one thing I have found is that it really depends on a number of variables and what you want to get out of the plastform. Testing them out before you commit is probably the best advice, you don't know until you try.

Toby

Unless you got dedicated server with lots of cores. I've mistakenly installed it on my shared hosting and it gave me lots of nightmares. secondly this forum support is totally messed up. you won't even got your replies more than days. In fact prestashop support email will wont reply you even if you losing your audience. Even google search won't gave you proper results on page load issues. All they got is use memcache or their expensive modules related to cache control. I mean seriously? This platform is totally dependent on cache management. You will unable to touch it's mechanism unless you are a pro coder or you have got one.

Thank God I haven't published my shop yet on presta!

Hi Raunhar, can I ask why you're looking to move from Opencart? I ask because I am looking to move away from Zen Cart, I thought I'd found a great solution in OpenCart2. But I am faced with the edit orders bug when using SSL like many others. But no one from OC seems to be taking the bug seriously enough. I am also horrified by the attitude of Daniel Kerr in relation to this bug and others (blank orders and updating OC from previous versions).

Are these the same as your problems? 

The only thing that puts me off from choosing PS, is the back-office is so overwhelmingly complicated, it would take me months to learn. Things which are a simple task in ZC and OC, are not so simple in PS

I'd love your feedback in this... Izzy

Unless you got dedicated server with lots of cores. I've mistakenly installed it on my shared hosting and it gave me lots of nightmares. secondly this forum support is totally messed up. you won't even got your replies more than days. In fact prestashop support email will wont reply you even if you losing your audience. Even google search won't gave you proper results on page load issues. All they got is use memcache or their expensive modules related to cache control. I mean seriously? This platform is totally dependent on cache management. You will unable to touch it's mechanism unless you are a pro coder or you have got one.

Thank God I haven't published my shop yet on presta!

For only having four posts at time of your posting I find your disparaging remark about community help a bit abusive.  In the future remember this is community driven, you are part of the community and get out of it what you yourself put into it.  There are many hats one must wear when building an online presence.  PrestaShop does not require a dedicated server, in fact this cms is hands down the best ecommece with included on features than any on the planet.  Can run on 'shared' but not on 'bad' shared or those configured for wp.  Low costs entry vps easily, but then you really step into webmastering, and not because of ps.  So chin up, know that you are learning new things...giddy up

PrestaShop has guiding mandate, make ecommerce available for anyone...even on lowly shared when shared is not focus on blog sfw only.  I always liked that about them.

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...