Multidomain Without Multistore

Hello my friends from Prestashop,

​I want to create a webshop with prestashop, I want to have multiple languages available, and multiple curencies.

​When I add a language, the link of my translated page is changed to:

www.domain.com/nl/

I want the dutch content to be shown on www.domain.nl,

I tried this with MultiStore, which kinda worked, but now the users could not change between languages, and people from Firefox still got english text on the .nl while chrome users where getting dutch text, then all tax setting for USA customers got shown differently as well, and this is not what we wanted.

Without multistore, I get all the translations on the .com website.

Is there an easy way, to just rewrite domain.com/nl/ to domain.nl ? Without using multistore?

I want that users can change their language normally, but when they are on the english product page and they click on the dutch flag, They should be going to domain.nl/productpagina instead of domain.com/nl/productpage

Can someone please explain me how I can change this?

Thanks up front for your time!

Kind regards,
Joery

• Like 1

You can rewrite your site to a top-level domain only if you are the owner of the domain. So if you want to have the page www.domain.com/nl/ rewritten to www.domain.nl you should be the owner of this domain.nl. Otherwise there is no possibility.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I am the owner of the domain.nl

How can I accomplish the rewrite ?  Should I do it at the back end of my hosting provider where i also registered the domain? 

Or do i need to make changes in the .htaccess?

Thanks so much!

You have to change your .htaccess in root of your shop by adding a a rewirte before Prestashop rules there. Try this code:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?domain/nl\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Please let me know if it worked for you, cause it depends on the php-Version you are using and it could be different.

• Like 1

You have to change your .htaccess in root of your shop by adding a a rewirte before Prestashop rules there. Try this code:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?domain/nl\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Please let me know if it worked for you, cause it depends on the php-Version you are using and it could be different.

It's not working for me, 

I tried to add this: 

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?dutchfem/nl\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.dutchfem.nl/$1 [R=301,L]

Since my main domain is dutchfem.com and i want to rewrite dutchfem.com/nl/ to dutchfem.nl 

Did i do it wrong?

Server curently uses PHP 5.5 

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I released multishop for  1.4.  When 1.5 was released I did not see point to upgrade the module.

https://etiendas.co/en/prestashop-module/27-multishop-multidomain-pro-14.html

But after using multishop myself and after upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6 I never received one sale from my other domains except for a few bots that would add to cart from the other domains.  Baffles me still.

The other significant issue is that for example, themes do not state  if ms compliant, well guess what, they are not.  Many issues like updating a menu item on one shop that  shares themes module did not update on others shops...and so on and so forth.  This is because themes do not state if they are ms  compliant even on official addon's...take my word for it, they are not, maybe the odd rare one.

We will soon be releasing a new module for 1.5/1.6 based on my work in 1.4  that allows one to multiplex and retain multiple urls with single content and will update this post when it's ready.  This was prompted by client who runs many domains on single content and who wanted upgrade keeping all domains but without ps multishop.

I will update this post when we ready to release.

happy  day, el

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I released multishop for  1.4.  When 1.5 was released I did not see point to upgrade the module.

https://etiendas.co/en/prestashop-module/27-multishop-multidomain-pro-14.html

But after using multishop myself and after upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6 I never received one sale from my other domains except for a few bots that would add to cart from the other domains.  Baffles me still.

The other significant issue is that for example, themes do not state  if ms compliant, well guess what, they are not.  Many issues like updating a menu item on one shop that  shares themes module did not update on others shops...and so on and so forth.  This is because themes do not state if they are ms  compliant even on official addon's...take my word for it, they are not, maybe the odd rare one.

We will soon be releasing a new module for 1.5/1.6 based on my work in 1.4  that allows one to multiplex and retain multiple urls with single content and will update this post when it's ready.  This was prompted by client who runs many domains on single content and who wanted upgrade keeping all domains but without ps multishop.

I will update this post when we ready to release.

happy  day, el

Dear sir, 

Thank you for your answer, I really look forward on that new module! Sounds like I need the same as your client :) 

When do you think the new module will be aprox ready ? 

Can I start launching my website? What is the SEO harm I do, when launching while all content and urls are still on the main .com site?

Dear sir, 

Thank you for your answer, I really look forward on that new module! Sounds like I need the same as your client :) 

When do you think the new module will be aprox ready ? 

Can I start launching my website? What is the SEO harm I do, when launching while all content and urls are still on the main .com site?

I'm the first client...as  mentioned above will re-post when ready.  I would for now until a release use multishop with one additional to see if any non core issues, i.e. theme.  Note: ps multishop rocks...I make no slight to the ps team and great effort they put into this cool feature...

• Like 1