I was just wondering if there's some sort of tool that can be used to scan and check free prestashop themes for malicious code? 

With wordpress, there's TAC. It's useful because many people give free themes installed with malware or scripts that can display spam ads, reroute your site, or even take over your site. I understand prestashop is very reputable, but I am a little leery about using free themes that are not from the prestashop themestore. Is there any way to check that they are safe other than looking at each file in the theme one by one?

Hello

Well, I have no idea if a tool exists to do what you require but, of course, Wordpress, because it is so big and popular their will always be people trying to scam you by whatever means.

Prestashop is a lot smaller so these problems should not occur.

With that said, it is always better to buy a theme or module from someone who has a presence on the forum and their are many fantastic developers here.

Anyway, just my thoughts

Paul

Hello,

I must say that I cannot even fully trust on paid themes. I just bought two of them (one from Prestashop at €100 and another from ThemeForest at $70), both with issues and then I discovered malware included at my just installed Prestashop.

I'm kinda dissapointed to get this installed. I'd love to have the time to code a custom shop, simpler but without security issues.

Kind regards,

Pablo.

Edited by pablo.aguirre (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yep. Story of my life. And it really ticks me off. I did the exact same. Bought one from the prestashop theme store and another from themeforest... same price. Neither functioned properly. One looked like total crap on mobile and the other was not compatible with my prestashop version even though the theme description mislead people into thinking it was. And the support on both were horrible and virtually non-existent. It's the reason I'm looking for free themes because I refuse to pay more money and take another risk. But I can't trust free themes either. This is so hard, and I wish presta took more responsibility for their marketplace or at least provided better customer service. I understand it's open source software but still.. smh. At this rate, I'm starting to feel I'm better off paying a high monthly fee for a hosted cart with limited features. It may not be able to do much, but at least it works. 

Hello,

I must say that I cannot even fully trust on paid themes. I just bought two of them (one from Prestashop at €100 and another from ThemeForest at $70), both with issues and then I discovered malware included at my just installed Prestashop.

I'm kinda dissapointed to get this installed. I'd love to have the time to code a custom shop, simpler but without security issues.

Kind regards,

Pablo.

• Like 1

Yep. Story of my life. And it really ticks me off. I did the exact same. Bought one from the prestashop theme store and another from themeforest... same price. Neither functioned properly. One looked like total crap on mobile and the other was not compatible with my prestashop version even though the theme description mislead people into thinking it was. And the support on both were horrible and virtually non-existent. It's the reason I'm looking for free themes because I refuse to pay more money and take another risk. But I can't trust free themes either. This is so hard, and I wish presta took more responsibility for their marketplace or at least provided better customer service. I understand it's open source software but still.. smh. At this rate, I'm starting to feel I'm better off paying a high monthly fee for a hosted cart with limited features. It may not be able to do much, but at least it works. 

I hear your pain and thought I would add my experience.  Themes look great on sellers demo but actually configuring that theme on our shop is much more difficult.  In fact it is the most difficult thing we will do.  This is not unique to PrestaShop but pretty much across all cms's.  The easiest way is if theme comes with 'demo' zip, i.e. includes PrestaShop and demo data that after we  install it looks like the theme demo.  Then we build products on that.  But seldom is that the case for most of us as we already have shops built.  For existing shops the instllation/configuration is much like doing a full upgrade because we cannot install/configure theme is 'draft' mode and then release it when we are satisfied.  What to do?  What do I do for my clients and myself?  I have it done by someone with experience in installing/configuring themes.  This just saves loads of time, money and frustration.

• 7 months later...

Just reading all the posts as I'm stuck in a dilemma. I'm new to prestashop but not CMS.

I purchased a theme from theme forest and it installed OK but looked nothing like the demo despite following all instructions.

Without going into the detail it has broke the way back to the default theme and I cant get rid of it. Support is polite but useless.

Given I have committed to supply a large online shop using prestashop Im really in a spot now. I don't normally do ecommerce sites, I stick to concrete5 corporate design.

I'm hoping you guys are still monitoring this thread as need advice on re-installing prestashop defaults keeping all data as have done a fair bit of work on the back end products, cat etc.

Just reading all the posts as I'm stuck in a dilemma. I'm new to prestashop but not CMS.

I purchased a theme from theme forest and it installed OK but looked nothing like the demo despite following all instructions.

Without going into the detail it has broke the way back to the default theme and I cant get rid of it. Support is polite but useless.

Given I have committed to supply a large online shop using prestashop Im really in a spot now. I don't normally do ecommerce sites, I stick to concrete5 corporate design.

I'm hoping you guys are still monitoring this thread as need advice on re-installing prestashop defaults keeping all data as have done a fair bit of work on the back end products, cat etc.

I'd subcontract it out because you are going to pull more hair out.  You are already posting off-topic which with 10usd will get you a t-shirt.  Hire a good fast company to build the shop and you can straw boss it.

here is link of Certified Agencies (I own/operate PrestaHeroes but we are off until September 1st)

https://www.prestashop.com/en/web-agency-partners

• 3 months later...

a good anti-virus program can be run against the file, bot zipped and then unzipped.  this will give you a little more confidence.

and as mentioned by Paluito, make sure that you are getting the module/theme from reputable developer..

Anti virus will not protect you against hard codes backdoor in the code.

I'm also new to Prestashop for few month and very disappointed by the theme business model. Don't get me wrong prestashop is great but we have ZERO guaranty on any themes we install.  I saw the same theme at 40$ then other sites at 75$.

I don't even talk about the fact that we can't even find any decent basic/simple free theme when installing the CMS.

Unfortunately I may have a look at another system to open a small shop. At least not a system where I am hostage of a theme developper.

My 2 sens.