[Suggestion] It's Almost 2016 When Is Prestashop Going To Ship With A Blog?

Dh42

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as an author of very popular blog module... I'm not satisfied with this proposition, why blog? PrestaShop needs more advanced shipping managament, more advanced search and more other feature which are now provided by third party modules, why blog is more important? :)

We can also write:

It's 2016, when is PrestaShop going to support Google Merchant? Or Google Remarketing? Or other super popular topic. I'm sure you see the point.

• Like 1

Because ia blog is standard in all of the other platforms that are taking market share away from PrestaShop. PrestaShop is losing market share to both Shopify and Woo-Commerce and they both have blogs. Neither have merchant center built in. It is about plugging the holes, not keeping features out of the core because you want to make money on them.

• Like 2

I think that there are more important things to improve for USA such as easier theme creation, more quality themes, better default theme and much more.

I don't think that blog feature is something what every people needs badly to run shop, I see many PrestaShop merchants with external blog on WordPress only because build-in PrestaShop blog will never be that good as external WordPress installation with possibility to install many useful plugins etc.

But of course... maybe, better content managament is something what people would like, I remember that back in time there was something like "features voting" on external site, anyone has results from it? Did someone even check this? :D I remember that on the top position was better shipping management and advanced search (not filter).

We have over 300 active clients, 90% of them have a blog. A blog needs to be a core part of PrestaShop. It is essential to e-commerce these days. A blog in the core can get around all of the issues that a plugin type blog can have. It will also make shop's easier to upgrade as well, since they will not have to worry about the compatibility of another module. 

As for the voting, it was like we talked about in the build blog the other day. PrestaShop has a roadmap, they do not actively seek out merchants to ask what they would like fixed. They do whatever the project manager they hired for this month wants to do. 

• Like 4

A blog is a good thing, BUT if you are permenent user of it, the best results in SEO are to keep it separately from Prestashop. WordPress is better indexed for ex. as Prestashop, BTW I'm on the side of high traffic users. By integrating a blog into Preestashop this will blow up the database, which is already big for bigger shops....

If blog integration, than please only with a separate database and the same pretty indexation on SERP's like WordPress. Otherwise not really a MUST HAVE. I'm in tis case with Krystian Podemski (there are other necessary MUST HAVES as priority - better payment and shipping solutions as free options and two or three native themes)

I disagree. The best results are having a blog that works and is designed with SEO in mind. Since this would be a from scratch core feature it could be designed that way. PrestaShop's core could offer the benefits and speed of wordpress but add the security of PrestaShop. I think a blog in the core is essential. 

As far as using the different database I have no clue what you would even suggest that. Using the normal database is fine, just store the information in a different format. 

I cannot say I have ever had a client leave PrestaShop for lack of a payment gateway that they have wanted, that is not available in PrestaShop. Look at shopify, they have only about 10 gateways that work with them. But they are taking a lot of the market share. They don't have sub categories, they have less of a shipping system, so what is it? It is easier to use and it has a blog. 

• Like 1

I think you misunderstood my suggestion. I'm not against a blog. I'm using blog as well and also all my customers, but what I don't want to see, is that Prestshop blows-up the database unnecessarily.

A blog is a really good thing to speed-up your SEO, but not necessarily as a build-in feature on Prestashop. As separate feature o a separate database it will be ok. This I'm saying, cause I'm having great troubles with exact this "minor detail". Several providers will not host databases over than 250MB without additional charges. Moreover the limit of a database is about 2GB. For big shops this limit could be reached very soon. Therefore, if blog should be an integrated part, so than only with the option as a second database.

Here I, of course can observe that potential customers leave Prestashop because of the payment options. The great part of my customers have several abandonned carts. Perhaps the gateways are proper for USA, but seems to be a lack for other countries. Brasil is one of them.... No one of the major payment solutions are available for free on Prestashop (nor at the addons as paid solutions). The same for the shipping possibilities. Prestashop is poor in shipping by postal code. Perhaps possible for USA as paid solution, but not available in Portugal, Brasil, Germany or Austria for ex. Nor as a paid solution....

I am of the opinion that it should be a core feature, but at the same time I think it should be programmed correctly too. If it is programmed correctly then it would not be a strain on the database. 

As for your database limit, 250mb might be something they are putting in place in Europe to get people to pay more for hosting, I do not know. 2gb is no where near the size of a database that you can use with PrestaShop. I have production databases using the on server database over 5 -10 gb. 

You are wrong about the postal code shipping not having a module. Germany, Portugal, Austria, and Brazil use number format postal codes. There is a very popular module that works with them that will handle ranges eg from 10001-10031 and will let you charge per range or per postal code. It even works with the postal codes that use letters, but the ranges do not work with the letters, they all have to be entered. http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/shipping-modules/83-localized-shipping.html  We have this module installed and working on maybe 75 shops across the countries you listed. It has been on the market since 2012. 

What cart are people in Europe leaving PrestaShop for?

Sorry, but you are wrong on the postal codes. Format in Portugal and Brazil is for ex. 04648-270. No one module I know is working with this format for ex. And no other with the Formats in Germany and Austria. The module you added I know, and it's a paid one. I was speaking about native one and for free. There are no free native options and these are missing...

Sorry, but you will not find any provider hosting a database of more than 2GB here in Europe. The only way is to have a dedicated server in this case.

The 2gb limit sounds like a limit on shared hosting, shared hosting will always have limits, there is nothing PRestaShop can do about that. 

As for your postal code issue, I would suggest checking the module out, it works with those types of postal codes with no modifications. I even made you a demo using the Portugal postal code you entered, http://screencast.com/t/SGuuMzCLcS  See how it charge $100 in that postal code, but when it goes out of that postal code it only charges $50 something dollars. Then when I enter the the other postal code it charges $110 again. The problem looks not to be with the module, but rather the person using it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Having a blog built-in is super great. But I also understand that, to master at both, ecommerce and blogging platforms, it requires too much resource, and chances are, we can be the #1 at both fronts.

Just my opinion, I prefer playing with a best ecommerce platform (hopefuly PrestaShop will be) and a best blogging separately. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Blog Functions et al

Dh42, what would you think about bi-directional oEmbeds? Slip a few related blog posts in the product editor to oEmbed query the blog system and create a trackback and oEmbed link in wordpress querying PS and creating a product card into the post much like twitter can on blog posts.

This way, energy is only spent on creating oEmbed services for PS. Which, can be useful on other sites like pinterest. We also need more data about a product to conform to GS1 Product Specs and Schema.org vocab.

Edited by Denver Prophit Jr. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am new to the PS world, even though I have been offering it to  my clients since 1.4.  The number 1 reason not going with it is lack of blog since 1.5 and 1.6 version.  Most are smaller and don't want another backoffice interface (wordpress) to deal with and opt for wordpress woo-commerce or shopify, squarespace.   A basic blog feature would probably help most migrate over after which they could decide to purchase an advanced blog module.  

I think that there are more important things to improve for USA such as easier theme creation, more quality themes, better default theme and much more.

I don't think that blog feature is something what every people needs badly to run shop, I see many PrestaShop merchants with external blog on WordPress only because build-in PrestaShop blog will never be that good as external WordPress installation with possibility to install many useful plugins etc.

But of course... maybe, better content managament is something what people would like, I remember that back in time there was something like "features voting" on external site, anyone has results from it? Did someone even check this? :D I remember that on the top position was better shipping management and advanced search (not filter).

I have a wordpress blog that has over 200 posts and is only 36mb. I have clients that have ps connections and ps guest tables that are over 5gb. That is another problem that needs to be solved though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, I understand some themes come with blogs and there are 3rd party blog modules. The issue is this needs to be moved over to the core. 

I for instance am using the Krystian's blog module - it came as part of the Warehouse theme. Before that, I had bought a different blog module from the Addons marketplace, and before that I used Wordpress. The reason I moved away from Wordpress is simply because I never was able to seamlessly integrate it into my shop. Themes that work both for PS and Wordpress are rare, and I find it to be disruptive of the user experience when it feels like visiting two different websites when you switch between blog and product pages.

As a merchant, I wanted this to be as hassle free as possible. Which the initial blog module I bought did not do well.

Which is why I am happy that Warehouse template came with a blog that integrates nicely. Regarding the comment on Wordpress being better indexed, it is true that my Wordpress blog was indexed faster by Google, but my current blog indexes well too. The only thing missing to make me perfectly happy is the integration of author and update tags, but otherwise, I am perfectly happy. Integrating related products is way easier than with Wordpress too.