[Tutorial] Google Pagespeed Tricks For Prestashop

NemoPS

Nice tip, however...

You emphased not to abuse it but I think it may not be as clear as it should.

If we prune content when Gooble bot is browsing the site, sure it can gives a better page speed ranking but at the cost that this content will not be indexed at all.

I recommend to use page speed ranking not as a goal on its own, but as an indicator of what could be potentially done or where to look at.

Please read the various result with referencing/indexing in mind.

I reckon you did mentioned it, but just to be sure, this repetition ...

Happy new year to you all.

• Like 1

Nice tip, however...

You emphased not to abuse it but I think it may not be as clear as it should.

If we prune content when Gooble bot is browsing the site, sure it can gives a better page speed ranking but at the cost that this content will not be indexed at all.

I recommend to use page speed ranking not as a goal on its own, but as an indicator of what could be potentially done or where to look at.

Please read the various result with referencing/indexing in mind.

I reckon you did mentioned it, but just to be sure, this repetition ...

Happy new year to you all.

But suppose you have a slider (like revolutionslider or similar that maybe have some big images, javascript..even video). This trick comes in handy because you don't need the slider to be indexed. Why would you a slider to be indexed?

I actually came up with this technique several months back and tossed it around several SEO forums, its not cloaking if done correctly and for SEO purposes. 

See Google only cares about certain things, but they will penalize you in the pagespeed index for other things. From our tests they actually change your page when it comes through the Googlebot, so you are just latching on to their changes. A great example is the Font Awesome CDN. Many, many sites use this CDN in their design / development. Do you think Google requests this resource each time they crawl a site that uses it? Of course not, they modify your page to load it locally, but at the same time they penalize you for it. But if you do not call the file with an include, but use it anyways, the page will still render correctly and you will not be pinged for it. The same goes with a lot of resources such as fonts, and other js files that google does not need to see. I never advocated hiding parts of your page with this method, I advocated hiding resources so that Google does not ping you for them. Some of the major ones that I advocated hiding are the GA.js, all of your google font files, and facebook. They provide no value to your page on an seo level.

• Like 1

The simple fact is it will never be punished. We have written a lot of modifications like this and they are the basis of a smarter web. A web that is more of what Google wants. In the coming years you will be able to check if a font is installed before downloading it to a user's computer, you will be able to see if their device natively supports certain functions before calling them, and a host of other things. This is just building on that technology. 

Async does very little, if not anything. 

I give this a really low score of every being an issue with Google. Cloaking only works with content, the content is not changed so cloaking has not happened. If you were say serving a page about cars to Google and then a page about health supplements to the user, that would be cloaking. This is no more harmful that lazy loading a category page, or even using the google recommended way of adding resources after the page has fully loaded. 

As a note, the time is calculated after the last element that is included in the original dom is loaded. That is why Google's append method works. https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/filter-js-defer

Your font example, what is the difference doing it client side versus server side? I am just advocating doing it server side and you client side. Google will not deem either as cloaking. Also none of the examples I gave for the using the methods fall under the cloaking guidelines, not even close, https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66355?hl=en  I would take that as proof that it is not cloaking. 

Actually it is pretty simple and you are over complicating it. You can split hairs with people and talk all you want, but Google has been definitive on it. DOM rendered is the point. It says it here, https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/about It calculates off of that as well, that is why defering works. 

Do you have any links from any Google owned domains or resources to back up that what I am suggesting is against their search TOS?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...