[SOLVED] How to configure canonical URL

wzhao6898

Hi there,

I've configure the Canonical URL module to set thehovercam.com to be the canonical URL. From what I understand, now all the traffic directed to www.thehovercam.com is now redirected to thehovercam.com, but it doesn't seem it's doing that.
Is there anything else I need to set before this will work?
Thanks,

David

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of the canonical URL module. It doesn't automatically redirect pages. The only thing it does is add the following to the header of your website:

<link rel="canonical" href="{$canonical_url}" />

where {$canonical_url} is what you entered on the configuration page. To automatically redirect pages, you'll need to manually modify your .htaccess file. See my post here for how to do that.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/29/2010 at 6:07 AM, rocky said:

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of the canonical URL module. It doesn't automatically redirect pages. The only thing it does is add the following to the header of your website:

<link rel="canonical" href="{$canonical_url}" />

where {$canonical_url} is what you entered on the configuration page. To automatically redirect pages, you'll need to manually modify your .htaccess file. See my post here for how to do that.

Good morning, I have one question for you. I can?

<link rel = "canonical" href = "{$ canonical_url}" />

Does this code indicate that the given subpage is a canonical link? My point is, I am looking for a solution to apply self-canonical to prestahop 1.6. So that each subpage points canonical to itself. Could I count on help?