[Solved] Multishop - Smarty Cache Throws Error 500

We successfully tested the multishop feature locally.

Now on the real hosting platform only the main shop can write to the smarty cache.

Secondary shops throw an error 

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught  --> Smarty: unable to write file /home/www/web85/html/ps16de/cache/smarty/compile/wrt567587d18cb7c9_97930862 <-- \n  thrown in /home/www/web85/html/ps16de/tools/smarty/sysplugins/smarty_internal_write_file.php on line 46

1) chmod 777 to the compile folder works until the main shop compiles a new template

2)  disabling smarty cache works

3) changing smarty cache from disk to MySql throws other errors

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'UnexpectedValueException' with message 'RecursiveDirectoryIterator::__construct(/home/www/web85/html/ps16de/cache/smarty/cache/homefeatured_tab) [<a href='recursivedirectoryiterator.--construct'>recursivedirectoryiterator.--construct</a>]: failed to open dir: Permission denied' 

---

We asked the hoster if the secondary domain can run with the same privileges as the main shop, but no luck.

Is there anything we can do in Prestashop, other than disabling the smarty cache, is it a bug?

Is disabling the smarty cache a big performance penalty?

Edited by Urs Meier (see edit history)

from you hosting control panel how did you 'point' the 2nd domain to the main domain?  i.e cpanel = park plesk = alias.

note: you do not want to run without smarty except when debugging.

I suspect the 2nd domain is running as different 'user', typically you can view 'user' from ftp or hosting file manager. and 'user' is yourdomain.com (main domain name without www)).  This typically handled when we park/alias so additional domains will execute against files properly.  hope that helps...

Thanks, I appreciate your fast reply.

The 2nd domain is pointed "directly" to the main domain (the see the same html-root). Don't know if it is plesk or cpanel, the have their own interface.

There are 2 different users/groups in the cache/smarty folder and this must be the issue. Since I cannot configure the second domain privileges I will check again with my hoster.

I understand from your reply that Smarty cache is a must. So I will check on a multishop solution with subfolders. This should solve the problem. If I get a usable domain solution, I will post it here.