Seo Image File Name Question

Aart95

• 2 weeks later...

1/ Image file name as normally nothing to do with SEO since you MUST have a title attribute and a alt on all of then, and this title is sort of used by the indexation.

2/ Prestashop rename all product/category image on the fly

3/ CMS image are used as-is but rule #1 apply

Hi,

If we have custom image like for slider on home page or any other location not part of product and default images used by prestashop then need to check alt text for the image, In case empty then we can use keywords in alt text of the image.

PrestaShop Tutorials Videos [How to do Tasks]

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/907438-prestashop-tutorials-videos-how-to-do-tasks/

Edited by Zohaib-fk
Post Updated (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

i have good google image ranking positions , thats why i campared image names with seo name in the image name and in the image alt / title.

the image name is much better ranking.

So i don t want to change a good system brings money.

is there any mod or possibility to use individually image names. ( for example automatic generable like image-number-seo-name.jpg  ,   22343-productname.jpg )

thanks and best regards

manne

EDIT---> I just saw that using SEO URL s   change the image name links so it is possible that google accept the names maybe. If google don t try out other letters behind the image nr in the url.

It could work. Let s try .

regards

manfred

Edited by mannefred (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

you'd better rename the pic on your PC, i had test if you do so the image rank in google will higher than you don't

Do you mean I need to naming the image file before uploading to a product? I look at the image on a product page. The title and the alt are the product's name itself. Prestashop doesn't use the name in the image filename. At least this is what I understand...

My question is that... should I spend time and effort to naming image filename before uploading? Because if Prestashop doesn't use this filename then there is no point of doing this.

Thanks.

Do you mean I need to naming the image file before uploading to a product? I look at the image on a product page. The title and the alt are the product's name itself. Prestashop doesn't use the name in the image filename. At least this is what I understand...

My question is that... should I spend time and effort to naming image filename before uploading? Because if Prestashop doesn't use this filename then there is no point of doing this.

Thanks.

Indeed, renaming image files before uploading them to server is useless. When you upload image it will be assigned unique id and prestashop stores it to server under this id. Path on server looks something like this: <prestashop-root>/img/p/3/2/7/327.jpg

​From seo perspective, It's important if you have Friendly URL enabled or not. 

• If enabled, product's Friendly URL field will be used for as an image name - url looks like www.domain.com/327/printed-summer-dress.jpg
  • if disabled, direct url will be used - url looks like www.domain.com/img/p/3/2/7/327.jpg
  • Like 2

As written previously, renaming filenames using absolutely useless in PrestaShop, as file are renamed by PrestaShop.
Keep also in mind that changing already uploaded images will causes 404 errors, which is not a good idea !

As I told during my SEO training session, filenames are not so important for images. What is important is the alt attribute and the context. I often use this very explicite demo :

https://www.google.fr/search?q=pizza+aux+anchois&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1066&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBltPzjNvRAhWBXRoKHZMNDs0Q_AUIBigB

As I told during my SEO training session, filenames are not so important for images. ..

Hello,

My experience is different. Online shop since 1998. Filename is important.

What i would change is the file system in PS.

my way:

files stored in folders from products ID

1000 to 1999   in folder  1

2000 to 2999   in folder  2

etc

10000 to 10999 in folder 10

11000 to  11999 in folder 11

and filenames like  1562_1_seoname.jpg

So you have the chance to use he images for other things also.

And i save the pictures with realnames also.

The original ps way   like

www.domain.com/img/p/3/2/7/327.jpg

is a funny idea to make small the foldersize but makes not really sense if you work with images if the foldersize is so small...

regards

manfred

Edited by mannefred (see edit history)