i'm trying to get my shipping costs to update from the price in the cart. for example i want my price range to be 0-50 shipping would be $10 51-100 it would be $15.

when i go to the shipping tab and set these price ranges, go back to my store and add products my price only goes to first range set for the $10 and doesnt update when it goes over the $51... how do i fix this??

Probably because there have been many threads discussing how to get the shipping tab to work how you'd like it to.

Have you set up the price ranges in the shipping tab?

Have you selected "billing by total price" and clicked save?

Have you confirmed your pricing in "Fees by carrier, geographical zone, and ranges" and clicked save?

i have done all the above and it doesnt change when i add things to the cart. it just picks the first range i had set then thats all... when you get to the final page of the cart it will show say the 3 carrier options...but they shipping is all the same method just a different price. so basically the person could spend the $1000 and just chose the cheapest shipping but thats not what i want.

You have to set up different carriers for each price range...

IE...

FedEx will have a carrier and pricing for $0-$10
FedEx will have a carrier and price range for $10.01-$20
FedEx will have a carrier and price range for $20.01 - $50

UPS will have a carrier and pricing for $0-$10
UPS will have a carrier and price range for $10.01-$20
UPS will have a carrier and price range for $20.01 - $50

USPS will have a carrier and pricing for $0-$10
USPS will have a carrier and price range for $10.01-$20
USPS will have a carrier and price range for $20.01 - $50

And so on throughout your carriers.

i did this, all i want is USPS for priority mail. with prices like you said but when i add products to my cart say the first $10 it shows freee shipping, then when i hit $20 in my cart it doesnt change to $5 for shipping...

I'm sorry, without being able to see the actual shipping area it's hard to say where the issue is coming in.

If you have a USPS carrier set up for however many price breaks you want, have the correct pricing in there and have clicked save in all the area's above, I'm not sure where else to look.