Exporting Customers And Passwords From 1.5.4 To 1.6.1.2

I am trying to transfer my entire customer list with password from old prestashop to new site, when I export from 1.5.4 to 1.6.1.2 there is no password field exported and when I import to 1.6 version it will not let me import due to the fact I don't have that password field

Have been unable to find much info on this, any help as always, greatly appreciated

I can't tell you if something works blindly.  If you have a solution, post a reference to it and I can try to review it

However out of the box, Prestashop stores all passwords using a one way algorithm.  So all of the passwords you already have for customers and employees are already encrypted.  The only way to decrypt them is for the customer or employee to actually log in.  If they do not log back into your store, you will NEVER know what those passwords are, no matter what solution you may have found.

So you are not exporting your existing customers passwords, but rather you are merging customers from 2 different stores.

So the issue you have is the encryption key is different between the 2 stores.  So here you have 2 options

1) If your 1.6 store is new with little to no customers, then the best option is to use the encryption key from the old store on the new store.  Send those few customers an email that they should change their password using the forgot password link.

2) However if your new 1.6 store is already established with many new customers, then you could use a similar approach that you have referenced.  However the problem is that solution is for PS v1.4 to v1.5.  That will not work for PS v1.4 to v1.6 as the coding for v1.6 will be different.

So the concept of the solution you found is this...

1) You migrate the customers from the old store to the new store

2) You migrate your encryption key from the old store to the new store.  Your new store will now have 2 encryption keys instead of just 1

3) You change the authentication process on the 1.6 store, so that when a customer tries to log on to the new store it does the following

3a) It attempts to encrypt the password using the NEW encryption key, and compare that to the stored encrypted password.  If they match, then log on is successful

3b) If they did not match, then try to encrypt the password using the OLD encryption key, and compare that to the stored encrypted password.  If they match, then log on is successful.  Re-encrypt the password using the NEW key and update the database.

3c) If they did not match, then it is a password failure, and log on should fail

Note: Eventually all the old passwords will be re-encrypted with the new key and you could remove this work around.  This of course assumes that your customers will visit your store and logon again. 

Now that process in step 3 is what you will need to reprogram to work in PS v1.6

Thanks for the reply bellini, really appreciate the help.

Just to recap so i understand completely, I'm just adding the old cookie key as well as the new and adding all customers from the old DB to new DB?

Is there a way to link the old customers database to the new site to avoid any changes? or is there too much of a difference between structure of 1.5 and 1.6?

Just to recap so i understand completely, I'm just adding the old cookie key as well as the new and adding all customers from the old DB to new DB?

That would be step 1 and 2 that I outlined in my previous post

Is there a way to link the old customers database to the new site to avoid any changes? or is there too much of a difference between structure of 1.5 and 1.6?

Anything is possible, just depends on how much work you want to do.  You also need to be more specific. 

1) Do you want to "link" to the old and new database at the same time?  If so, then you will be completely re-coding core Prestashop functionality and modules so that it is always retrieving and updating data in both databases.  While possible, this would make no sense

2) Or are you saying you want to have the new 1.6 store use the old 1.5 database?  While also technically possible, it won't work because the old database will not be in the correct format (there will be missing tables/columns for example)

Maybe you need to re-think why you are trying to create a new store, as opposed to upgrading your old store...