[Solved] Ajax Server Error When Updating

I am seeing the below error when trying to update my store.

[Ajax / Server Error for action backupFiles] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"temporarily overloaded " jqXHR: "

I am trying to update from v1.5.6.1 to 1.6.1.2, however I have also tried to go to the next minor release, v1.5.6.3 but I am getting the same error.

I am trying to update through the 1-Click Upgrade module and I have tried a few different options, *Major release, Local archive & Local directory, all result in the same error.

I have spoken with my web host and they said the site was hitting the 2MB/sec limit to the disk. To test they increased it from 2MB/sec to 10MB/sec, but this did not help, it still fails with the same error.

Anyone any ideas what the issue might be here?

Many thanks in advance...

Edited by glennlawre (see edit history)

Some addational info:

I tried setting all files/folders to write permissions on the upgrade folder and ran the upgrade again, but it failed again with the same message. It seems to be failing on the "backup" step, see below.

------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzing the situation...Shop deactivated. Removing sample files...All sample files removed. Now backing up files.[Ajax / Server Error for action backupFiles] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"temporarily overloaded " jqXHR: "

------------------------------------------------------------

So I tried disabling the backup option in the upgrade process and it moved further this time, but failed again I'm afraid! This time though with a different error, see below.

-------------------------------------------------------------
688 files left to upgrade.88 files left to upgrade.All files upgraded. Now upgrading database...[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeDb] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:"temporarily overloaded " jqXHR: "
-------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this is an issue  when it is trying to do something with the database. Does anyone have any idea what I should check?

Cheers...

I get the same error when updating my live store, yet the test store worked fine.

Analyzing the situation...Shop deactivated. Now downloading... (this can take a while)Download complete. Now extracting...File extraction complete. Removing sample files...All sample files removed. Now backing up files.File backup skipped.Database backup skipped. Now upgrading files...[Ajax / Server Error for action upgradeFiles] textStatus: "error " errorThrown:" " jqXHR: " "

Thats what I got and luckily the upgrade stopped before it started

Hi glenn, both the live and test store are online. both on the same v.p.s

The live store has been upgraded and upgraded since 1.4x

The test store is now on 1.6.1.3, but the live store is stuck on 1.6.1.2

Im considering starting a fresh install of 1.6.1.3 and copying all product/user data via the "triple edit" script that someone on here has created.

That way I would have a fresh store with all the needed data.

Im just not sure if things like Loyalty points copy across.

Cheers

Thanks for the info Ray,

I am currently trying to update the store via a local test environment then will try to replace my live store with this. If that doesn't work I might give that "triple edit" script a whirl.

Will post back with progress.

Cheers...

• Like 1

Hmmm, update for you.

I just tried again out of curiosity, and it upgraded fine ?

Cant think of anything I have done which could have removed the issue :/

But.. I still need to do a fresh install because some things still dont seem right.

For instance, my "Modules" menu on the live shop says "Modules", yet on a fresh install it says "Modules and Services"

Edited by MerseyRay (see edit history)

Ray,

Do you think that your "max_execution_time" or "max_input_time" were exceeding, thus causing the update to fail? The reason I ask is, when trying to update my store locally on a wamp server, I was getting the same ajax errors. When I increased the values for these two the update completed with no errors reported.

Could it be that when you tried to update your live store previously your server could have been busy with other processing going on, thus making the update take longer. Then when you got the update to complete, maybe the server was less busy, allowing the update to complete in time, before these times exceeded? Maybe this is how your test site updated, if the server was less busy then too.

This might also explain why your modules are acting funny after the update, mabe they didn't update properly.

Anyway, I have asked my webhost to up the limits for these values, if they can I will test then and post my results.

On my local update (wamp server), the update completes with no issues, however after the update there is some issue with css/styles not applying to the site, see my post here on this issue - update issues.

Cheers...

Im not too sure.

Thinking about it I may have changed the max execution from -1 to 1000 as I was trying to improve performance on my vps

Im no expert on this, just trying recommendations from google.

This is my setup now

Server software version Apache/2.4.16 (Unix) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4

PHP version 5.5.30

Memory limit 64M

Max execution time 1000

Database information

MySQL version 5.6.27

I have finally managed to get this store updated. The solution for me was to update the store locally on a WAMP server and replace my live store with this updated version. I think the issue on my live server was definitely down to the max_execution_time, but I cannot confirm this as I was not able to get this changed on my live site. However I did have similar ajax errors on my local WAMP server when I first tried the update, but once I increased the max_execution_time and max_input_time in my php.ini file, the update completed with no errors.

I would recommend anyone who is having the same issues to use a local WAMP environment to update their store then replace the live site with this updated version.

Thanks for your input Ray...

• Like 1