Want to know more about 1.7?

Xavier Borderie

Hi Xavier,

I don't understand the idea of using Symfony framework?

I know that now even Drupal 8 is using  Symfony , but that makes it even more heavier that the previous versions.

I hope  it will not  be the case for PrestaShop 1.7 ?

Prestashop 1.6.1.5 20Mo

Prestashop 1.7 42.7Mo

Edited by Eolia (see edit history)

Now, to answer questions since my last post here:

• Like 1

• What would be nice is if Prestashop could not only include the minimum configuration to run, but also a recommended configuration, which would have been tested by the PS team.

We do have a page for server requirements: https://www.prestashop.com/en/system-requirements

Those requirements are outdated. You cannot use PHP 5.2 since Prestashop version 1.6.1.3. You will get the T_Paamayim_Nekudotayim error when logging in.

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/495376-error-unexpected-t-paamayim-nekudotayim-login-user-v-1613/

It raises the question how much of of this info is outdated.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a few articles were missing from the first post in this thread! Here they are:

Now, to answer to latest comments:

• Those requirements are outdated. You cannot use PHP 5.2 since Prestashop version 1.6.1.3. You will get the T_Paamayim_Nekudotayim error when logging in.
    That's really weird. Have you opened a detailed Forge ticket about this? What is the context? Thank you!
  • any idea when a final version will be released?
    There is no definitive date at the moment, other than "in 2016". We are aiming for a Beta 2 release soon, and we hope the community will give us feedback about it!

Now, to answer to latest comments:

• Those requirements are outdated. You cannot use PHP 5.2 since Prestashop version 1.6.1.3. You will get the T_Paamayim_Nekudotayim error when logging in.

That's really weird. Have you opened a detailed Forge ticket about this? What is the context? Thank you

Nope, I haven't submitted a Forge ticket. Sometimes you have to assume that the Prestashop team knows what they are doing. When they use an object constant ($module_newsletter::GUEST_REGISTERED) they use a feature that was only introduced in PHP 5.3. In the link I provided in my previous post (#106) all details are explained. I could complain but who guarantees that the same construct isn't used elsewhere in the code too?

Edit: I checked versions. It was a problem in 1.6.1.3 and 1.6.1.4 and was fixed in 1.6.1.5.

Edited by musicmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could you please teach me how to build css and javascript in Prestashop 1.7 (to theme.js and theme.css) by webpack ?

Thank you so much.

I have install webpack.

I have try to access to themes/classic/_dev and type:

$ webpack

But the theme.js is not built successfully.

The browser show error:

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token import

Please help me, thank you very much.

It would be interesting to change the stock and the price directly in the catalog without having to access the product.

It would be interesting to change the stock and the price directly in the catalog without having to access the product.

• 2 weeks later...

We released RC0 this week!

http://build.prestashop.com/news/prestashop-1-7-RC0/

• Does the "1 click upgrade" module work for upgrading from beta 2 to 3?
    I don't think it does. Better to start testing from scratch, really.
  • Could you please teach me how to build css and javascript
    The dev doc is being written here. Please let us know if something is missing!
  • When will Prestashop restore the indexation of the forum?
    It's in the hand of the .com team. Can't give you an ETA, sadly.
  • It would be interesting to change the stock and the price directly in the catalog without having to access the product.
    I think that's part of our plans for the evolution of the Catalog page :) Can't promise it will be in 1.7.0.0, though.

Please fix the bug with Advanced Stock Management

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-8284

In short words, when product is located in more than single warehouse and customer places an order which covers both stock quantities, product is removed from stock incorrectly.

And please remove combination ID from product URL. Every combination page will be a double of main page with same text, pictures, etc. That would be a SEO disaster for shop ranking.

• Like 1

PrestaShop 1.7 is a regression.

- End of free modules included

- No theme improvement

... ....

For me it is a commercial version

I hope I'm wrong !

You are wrong...lol....I like 1.7 and the ideas behind it.  I think it will make PS competitive and we will see an entire new eco system of cool modules.  Happy day...el

Hi, I would build store using latest 1.6 stable, 1.6.1.7.  This is a super release and will give you many years of good service.  

Thanks for your reply. But I rather put my effort in new development instead on being on a dead track (as long as 1.6 is supported). New developments will be made for 1.7.

So if have to wait for a couple of weeks for 1.7 I will wait. If the development will take another 6 months another platform will perhaps be better for me.

In my opinion 1.6 is the way to go 1.7 is a ways off from being a viable e commerce platform.

At this time there are NO shipping modules, No credit card and no PayPal modules, only Check and bankwire for Payment.

Anyone who thinks this will be available and viable in the short term is kidding themselves, while I am sure Prestashop will release a stable version it will hardly be usable,

at least to those of us who use PayPal, UPS, USPS and FedEx modules.

I am not a big fan of 1.7 for these reasons, however its like a new car release every new version will have better options and more power to make sure you trade up.

In this regard however I was also not a big fan of Windows 95 it was such a different animal then 3.1 Now I have Windows 10 and love it so who is to say.

But anyway use 1.6 it will be fine for years and give 1.7 time to catch up.

That's my 2 cents for what its worth.

every couple of years we have this same discussion... "when will x.x be ready so I can use it"...  everyone rushes to use the very first version of it, then complains when its defective and that there are no modules and themes available..

what exactly is your hurry for this...  install 1.6.1.7 and be happy with it.  wait for 1.7 to become stable and for the market place to catch up, and then upgrade

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

As far as I can see, it's fine to use the former database. It goes like this:

• Make a copy (to outside the installation folder) of all custom image files:
    • img/p
    • modules/ps_imageslider/images
    • modules/ps_banner/img
  • Make a copy of app/config/parameters.php
  • Note the name of your admin folder (adminXXX/).
  • Then do a fresh installation as usual, using another folder and a new database.
  • On the last installation page (installation already completed), click on the 'Back Office' / 'Manage your store' button. This (kind of) fails as usual, but also renames the admin folder.
  • Remove the install/ folder.
  • Rename the admin folder to the name used in your previous installation (which you noted in 3.).
  • Restore all image files.
  • Restore app/config/parameters.php. This restores passwords as well as the database used.
  • Delete the database used for the installation.

Now the shop should work as before. Well, hopefully better, due to the newer code.

P.S.: I just see one can skip steps 1. to 3. if one installs into a new folder and keeps the old installation :-)

Edited by Traumflug (see edit history)

Wow doing more RC1 testing and have reported in previous versions that the Standard (account creation & address) was not working and only showed account creation (no address), so I just happened to think about this again and realized that even though I was told they are working on it the whole option has been removed giving us no option.

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/BOOM-610

I always use Standard as it is what I prefer for my sites and when I create an account at others.

There is also no one page checkout only the 5 step and from experience this just looses customers, both of these processes should be as simple as possible not multi page processes or customers will just move on where it is simple.

There is no Theme import or export this will most likely loose new users as customization and the ease of it is why many come to Prestashop in the first place.

We live in a world of instant gratification and people will not take the time if it is two complicated or have to jump through two many hoops.

Any Ideas why this version is so plane and loosing all the options we had in previous versions.

Edited by tdr170 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wow doing more RC1 testing and have reported in previous versions that the Standard (account creation & address) was not working and only showed account creation (no address), so I just happened to think about this again and realized that even though I was told they are working on it the whole option has been removed giving us no option.

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/BOOM-610

I always use Standard as it is what I prefer for my sites and when I create an account at others.

There is also no one page checkout only the 5 step and from experience this just looses customers, both of these processes should be as simple as possible not multi page processes or customers will just move on where it is simple.

There is no Theme import or export this will most likely loose new users as customization and the ease of it is why many come to Prestashop in the first place.

We live in a world of instant gratification and people will not take the time if it is two complicated or have to jump through two many hoops.

Any Ideas why this version is so plane and loosing all the options we had in previous versions.

I agree with you and I think PS 1.7 will be a big fail and disappointment.

You could have concentrated on the PS 1.6 branch, make it perfectly stable, try to get 100% code coverage, UI tests for a lot of test scenarios including upgrade combinations.

You could have tried to pull frequently paid addons into the default version or improve the import functionality (what about importing accessories) or provide FULL tested PHP 7 compatibility, not some try-and-error approach. What is this? There are even tools for checking PHP 7 compatibility.

There would have been a lot more open tasks for you instead of making a useless rewrite and redesign without any new stunning features. OPC seems to be missing, advanced stock management not to be working. People/Merchants like stable tested products, no experiments.

See http://nemops.com/prestashop-1-7-will-be-a-catastrophe-here-is-why/

Here are some other examples of what you could have done instead:

* What about working on forge tickets?

They seem to be useless. You seem not capable of fixing all the newly arising issues.

Why opening it to the community when problems are open for months or years.

There are so many more things the Devs could have focused on instead of wasting time with a rewrite/redesign.

* What about a security audit on Prestashop? It is an ECOMMERCE system and not some blog where security does not matter! Look for example what arastta ecommerce did.

* What about initiating a Bug Bounty program like many other companies (also ones with open source software)?

* What about not using http connections in the backoffice (when all other connections are over tls) and loading javascript files, e.g. when accessing the themes page?

Especially this is ridiculous and dangerous to an MITM attack (https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/security/prevent-mixed-content/what-is-mixed-content) even if modern browsers block these mixed contents. But it only shows how less the Developers care or are aware of security issues.

Not only the themes page is affected, I have seen the browser warnings also on some other pages (modules page).

* What about not using broken hash algorithms (or is this already fixed)?

For me there are many examples of failures.

Like the poor communicating with the future of PS Cloud. Suddenly it is only available for US and France.

What is this? What signal do you send? What kind of capable management would sign such decisions?

The worst point is, I think you are not able or not interested in taking feedback.

Edited by dpat (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There are even tools for checking PHP 7 compatibility.

You ask for community participation, so why don't you simply run these tools and report the issues found?

They seem to be useless.

Well, I reported a couple of bugs and all of them were fixed or found already fixed when being looked at (after some 2-3 weeks).

Attaching patches to bug reports appears to be pretty useless, though. They apparently insist on these super complicated "pull requests". Pull requests are simply too much work for my taste as they require to work with and synchonize no less than four Git repositories (PrestaShop Github repo, my Github fork of that, my local clone of that and another one for the production shop). Also no idea how Github could become popular with this mechanism, but that's another story.

Thumbs up for the mechanism the Git inventor favors: accepting patches sent by email or a dropbox.

The worst point is, I think you are not able or not interested in taking feedback.

To be honest, I can well understand that. Whatever gets commented here on the state of PrestaShop, it couldn't be less charming or less constructive. Remaining comments are  wishlists. Wishlists usually boil down to "hey, you, do you my work, so I have a favor". And these flame- and wishlist-fests usually receive the most likes.

Thumbs up for the mechanism the Git inventor favors: accepting patches sent by email or a dropbox.

What is the point of this? Why you can't just make a pull request where everyone can take a look and review changes?

Well, i see a lot of work done in recent weeks in terms of fixing bugs from a Forge

You ask for community participation, so why don't you simply run these tools and report the issues found?

There was a ticket opened about this including a report. It was ignored.

What is the point of this? Why you can't just make a pull request where everyone can take a look and review changes?

Well, i see a lot of work done in recent weeks in terms of fixing bugs from a Forge

I agree, Pull Requests are a great feature. With regard to Forge, I used it and reported issues but quitted 6 months ago due to the poor performance.

Edited by dpat (see edit history)

Why you can't just make a pull request where everyone can take a look and review changes?

Did you ever try to craft such a pull request? Apparently not.

First of all, pull requests do not allow reviews with any meaning beyond looking at the patch. If a PrestaShop developer sees a typo, he has either to ask the sender to fix it (see 13. below) or to accept the faulty request to allow editing it.

Here's how a pull request is done (to the best of my knowledge). What you describe as "just" is about two hours of pretty confusing work:

1. Find and fix the bug while setting up the production shop. That's the expected part.

2. Go to the PrestaShop Github repo and make a fork on Github.

3. Clone that fork to the local platter.

4. Add the official PrestaShop repo as a second remote to this local clone.

5. Go to the production shop repo and make a patch (git format-patch --keep-subject HEAD^).

6. Create a branch on the PrestaShop clone.

7. Apply that patch to the PrestaShop clone.

8. In the clone, fetch from the official repo.

9. Rebase the clone to what got fetched.

10. Rebase the branch with the fix, too.

Edit:

10a. Set up a shop to test that commit on the official repo! One hour for that alone.

11. Push that to Github. Not to the official repo, but to the fork of that.

12. Go to the Github site and create the pull request, duplicating the description already in the commit comment.

13. If the pull request needs a review, start over at 6.. PrestaShop developers can't review ( = test!) or modify a pull request.

While I consider myself to be pretty skilled in terms of Git, imagine how some less skilled person would do this. "fetch"? huh, isn't that 'pull'? "Adding a remote?" Huh, what is a remote? And how can a clone be a clone of two other repos at the same time? And how does one decide to which remote a push gets sent? And so on.

Compare that to a patch send, which includes just 1., 5. and something similar to 12. And which allows reviews and edits by the PrestaShop developers before hitting the public repo. In short: which allows proper development.

• Like 1

Did you ever try to craft such a pull request? Apparently not.

Yeah... https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+author%3Akpodemski

Sorry but this is complaining at something completely normal in webdev world, open source software in GitHub = pull requests. 

I do not agree that it takes a lot of time to make a PR, you need to setup environment locally only once, you don't need to rebase every time, reinstallation on localhost takes 10 minutes max... 

While I consider myself to be pretty skilled in terms of Git, imagine how some less skilled person would do this. "fetch"? huh, isn't that 'pull'? "Adding a remote?" Huh, what is a remote? And how can a clone be a clone of two other repos at the same time? And how does one decide to which remote a push gets sent? And so on. 

Someone less skilled can just create a ticket on the Forge.

open source software in GitHub = pull requests.

I see this, too, and consider it to be a very unfortunate development. Since Github got popular, contributions became very rare. Instead, the number of people wrestling with outdated software versions grows. Many people even host their clone fork on Github, still without sending their enhancements back. Procedures got more complicated than what people want to afford.

I do not agree that it takes a lot of time to make a PR, you need to setup environment locally only once, you don't need to rebase every time, reinstallation on localhost takes 10 minutes max...

So you submit pull requests based on outdated software versions. U-oh.

So you don't run a production shop. Double U-oh.

Agreed, if one doesn't care about code quality and one wants to keep out occasional developers, pull requests are a great thing. I am an occasional developer, so I'm out :-)

About better strategies, next to accepting patches:

One strategy is to use Gitolite. This adds privileges management to a Git repo. People with lower privileges can commit to their own branches, but not touch the official ones. Accordingly one can hand out low privileged write access liberally. Moving a commit from one branch to another is way easier than moving a commit from one repo via another repo to a third repo.

On Github one can hand out write access liberally, too. No privileges management[1], but people very rarely harm intentionally and everybody else has a backup, after all. Simple rule: "Create as many branches as you feel need for, but keep fingers off of 'master' and other developers branches". Suddenly, branches with enhancements appear and collaboration becomes vivid. Example: Teacup Firmware, a very specialised project, still no less than 19 collaborators.

About large collaborator counts: look at KiCAD: 626 active developers and counting :-)

[1] I've heard about Github having intorduced some kind of privilege management recently, but didn't have a closer look, yet.

So you submit pull requests based on outdated software versions. U-oh.

I'm not sure if you have no idea of how git works or what? Switch to develop, pull new changes, create new branch based on that, and that's it, of course you can do a rebase if your changes are not up to date or have conflicts - but not always.

So you don't run a production shop. Double U-oh.

I have no idea how you can come up to such a conclusions after my post but ok

Agreed, if one doesn't care about code quality and one wants to keep out occasional developers, pull requests are a great thing. I am an occasional developer, so I'm out :-)

Really? Every pull request trigger tests, checking for conflicts, add possibility to label it etc.

I'm signing off from this discussion. No one will accept .patch from e-mail/dropbox/whatever. Want to contribute? Forge, GitHub pull request, forum. 

Switch to develop, pull new changes, create new branch based on that, and that's it, of course you can do a rebase if your changes are not up to date or have conflicts - but not always.

Perhaps we have a different idea of what quality code means. There's a wide gap between a bare "has no conflicts" and a well crafted commit.

I have no idea how you can come up to such a conclusions after my post but ok

Well, there is no production shop in your descriptions. Either you do additional tasks without describing them here or a production shop isn't part of your development process.

Want to contribute? Forge, GitHub pull request, forum.

Gets ignored (see above) / way too much work (see above) / conflicts with forum software. Three excellent choices, indeed :-)

• Like 1

I will agree with others, that current state of www tools, git etc.  is barbaric, sure we can defend them and many actually contribute to better process.  When we work in 'open source' some are in or come from 'private sector' software where software models are processed from concept to completion.  Could you imagine using git for rolling out the Optima card at American Express?  So the embracing of existing tools is 'relative' to the environments we are in or  came from.  But end of day, we do what they say do if we want to contribute to the process. 

Opening forge reports compared to complaining about finding an issue in a beta or release candidate is like a bird flying through the air, it leaves no trace.

I've returned to pre 1.7 dev, not because I wanted to, the future is 1.7...1.6 is not 'save able', mainline 1st class features cannot be  'moduralized', this leaves each shop manager with task of custom to do things,  well already invented.  So rc1 funky...community input will make next and each subsequent 1.7's better.  I personally for time had to skip a lot of rc1 review, but I saw actions in beta an rc0 forge reports, the ps team is waiting for your  input.  Happy  day, el

Well, there is no production shop in your descriptions. Either you do additional tasks without describing them here or a production shop isn't part of your development process.

Wow, really, i don't know if i'm living in entirely different world than you or what is going on there! 

We have forge report "Feature X doesn't work on version Y". Why do you need from me production shop to handle such a bugfix? I can create pull request, Core Team can cherry pick these changes into their testing environment, and look if problem is solved. Please stop complaining about this process if you don't really understand how it works, ok? People will be nothing but confused, after all your posts.

Perhaps we have a different idea of what quality code means. There's a wide gap between a bare "has no conflicts" and a well crafted commit.

Maybe you should give me some example where you can find lack of quality in my commits or my work, because for now i'm the one who is contributing for a years to PrestaShop, and you're the one complaining about basic stuff.

I will agree with others, that current state of www tools, git etc.  is barbaric, sure we can defend them and many actually contribute to better process.  When we work in 'open source' some are in or come from 'private sector' software where software models are processed from concept to completion.  Could you imagine using git for rolling out the Optima card at American Express?  So the embracing of existing tools is 'relative' to the environments we are in or  came from.  But end of day, we do what they say do if we want to contribute to the process.

I don't know many teams these days which are working on a software without versioning control like GIT, SVN or HG (Mercurial).

GIT, continuous integration, these are all tools which helps a lot with software development. If someone thinks differently, maybe not really understands how these tools are working.

@krystian, I appreciate you are comfortable with git usage, you prove this in your contributions everyday, but because you are happy with it others are also free to find it lacking,  maybe we do understand it better than we are given credit.  It does not take a big leap to understand the idea behind it when things before it were worse.  I'm not going to butt heads with anyone here, this post is about learning more about 1.7, not that effort should be given up for 1.6 focus or that some like or do not like git.  While I try best to respect others views and experience I do also have same expectation.  And this post is not about git or people defending by our lack of understanding....

Ok guys relax have a beer this is an open discussion not an argument forum.

I have many forge report that have gone unanswered for months or in some cases over a year.

This one is no longer relevant but was never issued or commented on by devs.

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PNM-3299?filter=-2

This one I reported in Jan not assigned or commented on.

Not assigned or commented on since April

This one I reported in Sept still nt response.

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-8428?filter=-2

I do have may that were answered and resolved or closed do to a Github fix but for a new user making their first report imagine their frustration on not getting any response.

So this is why Forge reports get a bad rap by some I still report because I want to do my part even though sometimes it feels futile.

As for creating commits and pull request it can seem very complicated and is, although once you get it it is not to hard.

Yes create account fork the Prestashop repo now you have a repo of your own.

Install Git and TortoisesGit then Node with npm.

OK got that now I need a clone of my repo um how what OK got it.

All not that difficult but now you have to install npm in the package.json location and this is where I got stumped at first whats that and where is it.

OK so now got that figured but now I have to run npm in that location to watch for changes but whats that oh OK npm run watch.

But now is that really complicated part you can not change the css you have to change the scss and for mere mortals this is odd because the formatting is not the same as css.

So figured all this out have your first commit dome figured out how to push it to Github only to be scolded for having one thing not following guidelines for a pull request.

So these gods of php want you to amend the pull and re-submit um uh how what.

The process of setting this up does need better documentation and step by step instructions and not just on creating your fist pull request.

Remember Discussion !!!

• Like 1

I don't know many teams these days which are working on a software without versioning control like GIT, SVN or HG (Mercurial).

GIT, continuous integration, these are all tools which helps a lot with software development. If someone thinks differently, maybe not really understands how these tools are working.

Right. Declaring everybody else as stupid is always the easiest thing.

Looking at some of the most successful Open Source projects: Linux kernel, Ubuntu, Debian, gcc, wine, etc., they all work with a versioning system, many of them use Git, none of them uses a fork & pull request mechanism. Git is a great tool, Githubs interpretation of it is bonkers.

Yes create account fork the Prestashop repo now you have a repo of your own.

Don't forget that one has to synchronize this own repo with the official one regularly.

Install Git and TortoisesGit then Node with npm.

Personally I don't use TortoiseGit. Most important tool here is, next to command line Git, Gitk. It comes with the Windows Git distribution, so you likely have it already. Run it with 'gitk --all' from inside the repository and suddenly one has an overview on what's inside that repo. Shift-F5 to update after Git commands being done.

oh OK npm run watch.

No 'watch' either. With watch, a build gets triggered on every single file save and takes some 15 seconds, so the CPU gets loaded for nothing and one never knows when it's done. 'npm run build' when one thinks all changes are done. Then one can see what happens and when the build is finished.

But now is that really complicated part you can not change the css you have to change the scss and for mere mortals this is odd because the formatting is not the same as css.

I'd simply forget about editing CSS directly. Never needed and the next npm build will overwrite it anyways.

Good thing is, SCSS is a true superset of CSS, so one can simply write plain CSS into these SCSS files. Getting used to nesting feels natural to me, then the '&' operator. Everything else, like @mixins, are expert stuff and/or dessert topping; one can live well without that.

Uhm, not to forget variables. A very powerful mechanism. _dev/node_modules/bootstrap/_variables.scss shows which ones are available, overrides of them go into _dev/css/partials/_variables.scss. For example, change $brand-color to something else, rebuild, and suddenly all the colors on all the pages have changed. PrestaShop makes pretty good use of these variables.

Yes I do sync was giving a synopsis of why it is or can be confusing, once you figure it out it does get easier.

Another issue I found was most documentaion I found said to run npm install npm or npm install npm -g this actually caused issues and just using npm install at package.json location works every time and works on Windows 10.

Npm run watch was all the info I found when leaning this so it is naturally what I used and once had it working and changes were being made properly (scss changes were reflected in css) it is just what I used and never looked for more info.

But good info I will try just npm run and npm run build with my next commit.

Well my experience with commit and pull request you can not change the css but must change the scss and then push both files with you pull request otherwise it will be rejected, so I never change css directly for pulls.

Still learning this and the command line Git was more confusing not that it is but could not find any good documentation.

Prestashop's own page on contributing to Prestashop is written for Tortoise and is what is recommended along with the Git extension.

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Contributing+code+to+PrestaShop

It also has a more natural feel as it is a gui rather then command line and lets face it most new users today never worked with Dos as I suspect you and I have.

But thanks for the info maybe it is time to find some more documentation and further my understanding of Git and working with it.

what have we learned?  template inheritance...which allowed for proof of concept of 'hide price add cart' which we could not accomplish pre 1.7 template system.

https://1700beta3.prestaheroes.com/blouses/2-7-blouse.html#/1-size-s/11-color-black  is an exmple of work using partials...we did two months ago, that long already?  Looking to get back to 1.7 after current work...which will be even better in a 1.7 environment...we can fix so much that is broken....

Now we can pretty much create many features that we see in mainline best in class shops, and bring them to ps....

Edited by El Patron (see edit history)

Still learning this and the command line Git was more confusing not that it is but could not find any good documentation.

Prestashop's own page on contributing to Prestashop is written for Tortoise and is what is recommended along with the Git extension.

Git is fairly well documented: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Getting-a-Git-Repository

GUI tools like Tortoise typically lead to simple commit/push cycles, which pretty much degrades a repository to a backup system. Looking at the diff to be committed should be a minimum, one doesn't want to commit noise, right? :-) More advanced tasks like fixing older commits ('git rebase -i'), partial commits ('git add -p'), partial resets ('git reset -p'), splitting commits (also 'git reset -p'), reordering commits, well, not sure how to do that with Tortoise.

Gits advantage over other/older versioning systems is something generally known as 'topic branches'. If one sees a task to be done, open a new branch and work there on that, and only on that. I found this description:

https://blog.mozilla.org/webdev/2011/11/21/git-using-topic-branches-and-interactive-rebasing-effectively/

The public tends to acclimate on such stuff only slowly, because this means to overcome a big rule previously carved in stone: never change history! And merges eventually become pointless. What!?! Well, developers manage to reduce their mess and sky is not falling :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!

Seems I forget to add a few recent links:

Thank you for your comments!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to install today PrestaShop 1.7 RC2 , but I receive this error

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'There is no suitable CSPRNG installed on your system'

I have PHP 5.6.27 in Fedora 23 Linux

any idea?

Normally it's caused by your hosts setup of PHP not allowing you to read from the file /dev/urandom.

Check the value of open_basedir in the PHP settings, most likely it contains one or more files or directories, add /dev/urandom

Or get your hosting partner to fix this if this didn't make any sense to you.

I agree with you and I think PS 1.7 will be a big fail and disappointment.

You could have concentrated on the PS 1.6 branch, make it perfectly stable, try to get 100% code coverage, UI tests for a lot of test scenarios including upgrade combinations.

You could have tried to pull frequently paid addons into the default version or improve the import functionality (what about importing accessories) or provide FULL tested PHP 7 compatibility, not some try-and-error approach. What is this? There are even tools for checking PHP 7 compatibility.

There would have been a lot more open tasks for you instead of making a useless rewrite and redesign without any new stunning features. OPC seems to be missing, advanced stock management not to be working. People/Merchants like stable tested products, no experiments.

See http://nemops.com/prestashop-1-7-will-be-a-catastrophe-here-is-why/

Here are some other examples of what you could have done instead:

They seem to be useless. You seem not capable of fixing all the newly arising issues.

Why opening it to the community when problems are open for months or years.

There are so many more things the Devs could have focused on instead of wasting time with a rewrite/redesign.

* What about a security audit on Prestashop? It is an ECOMMERCE system and not some blog where security does not matter! Look for example what arastta ecommerce did.

* What about initiating a Bug Bounty program like many other companies (also ones with open source software)?

* What about not using http connections in the backoffice (when all other connections are over tls) and loading javascript files, e.g. when accessing the themes page?

Especially this is ridiculous and dangerous to an MITM attack (https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/security/prevent-mixed-content/what-is-mixed-content) even if modern browsers block these mixed contents. But it only shows how less the Developers care or are aware of security issues.

Not only the themes page is affected, I have seen the browser warnings also on some other pages (modules page).

* What about not using broken hash algorithms (or is this already fixed)?

For me there are many examples of failures.

Like the poor communicating with the future of PS Cloud. Suddenly it is only available for US and France.

What is this? What signal do you send? What kind of capable management would sign such decisions?

and your contribution to community is this post? what you invent the internet and ecommerce, what are your credentials?  What have you contributed to forge?  Ever report a bug or feature request?  If you want anyone except other cry babies to take you seriously, then contribute...now you are less than than useless....and a the worse community member I have ever encountered in my years here....I think you are a big fail and disappointment not PS...

It seems with the release of 1.7, they finally "unreleased" PrestaShop Cloud in all countries...it's gone forever

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prestashop 1.7.0.1

NOT WORKING on OVH PERFORMANCE (Shared Server).

- " Set short_open_tag to off in php.ini*. " cannot be changed (no access to php.ini)

- Modules » Error 504 Nginx

- Payment » Error 504 Nginx

- Tutorial Preston » Error 504 Nginx after template step

- 1clic upgrade  » Error 504 after few steps but when i'm log in (1.7.0.1…)

- Same errors with fresh new install of Prestashop 1.7.0.1 :(

Very disappointed to have paid a new web hosting for Prestashop 1.7!

Prestashop 1.7.0.1

NOT WORKING on OVH PERFORMANCE (Shared Server).

- " Set short_open_tag to off in php.ini*. " cannot be changed (no access to php.ini)

- Modules » Error 504 Nginx

- Payment » Error 504 Nginx

- Tutorial Preston » Error 504 Nginx after template step

- 1clic upgrade  » Error 504 after few steps but when i'm log in (1.7.0.1…)

- Same errors with fresh new install of Prestashop 1.7.0.1 :(

Very disappointed to have paid a new web hosting for Prestashop 1.7!

well, if you want to be early adopter..then you better have good experience...it's not for the weak minded or novice.  I suggest for help rather than a critique you post new thread to get best community review/feedback.....

I would like to edit the link at the bottom of the footer (© 2016 - Ecommerce software by PrestaShop™).

As much as I like to give credit to PrestaShop, it doesn't look as professional as if I put my own company information in this space. I have edited it in previous versions but can't find the correct file or translation in the back office. Can anyone tell me the correct way to change it? Version 1.7.0.1 doesn't have cms block module. So please advice alternative way. Thank you.

I would like to edit the link at the bottom of the footer (© 2016 - Ecommerce software by PrestaShop™).

As much as I like to give credit to PrestaShop, it doesn't look as professional as if I put my own company information in this space. I have edited it in previous versions but can't find the correct file or translation in the back office. Can anyone tell me the correct way to change it? Version 1.7.0.1 doesn't have cms block module. So please advice alternative way. Thank you.

Go to:

/themes/your_theme/templates/_partials/footer.tpl

and you will find this part:

{l s='%copyright% %year% - Ecommerce software by %prestashop%' sprintf=['%prestashop%' => 'PrestaShop™', '%year%' => 'Y'|date, '%copyright%' => '©'] d='Shop.Theme'}

You can remove this whole part and write anything you wish. Or you can just overwrite certain parts:

{l s='%copyright% %year% - YOUR ESHOP' sprintf=['%year%' => 'Y'|date, '%copyright%' => '©'] d='Shop.Theme'}

post-48475-0-92465300-1480153376_thumb.png

• Like 1

Afternoon everyone.

Need to start working on my eshop and wanna ask you guys if i should go with 1,7 version or continue with 1.6 ? 

I plan on launching in feb-march 2017 ? Asking because my friend recomended to stay with older versions ...cause modules are not developed yet etc.

Thanks a lot 

Prestashop 1.7 has fewer functions (removing advanced stocks for example)
Prestashop 1.7 still has the bugs of the 1.6
Prestashop 1.7 is heavier (+ 30MB)
Prestashop 1.7 has more override
Prestashop 1.7 still does not know how to calculate prices

I tested 1.7.0.1 in same version as 1.6 and run more fast. And support preloading of links

@RomAAnKKo by the time of March most problems should be addressed and module and theme developers should have new products as well. 1.6 has problems, 1.7 has problems, but it is more likely that 1.7 will have these problems addressed quicker.

You are very optimistic.

A new version brings new bugs. It will take at least ten minor releases just to get rid of the most annoying of those new bugs.

As for the 1.6 bugs. I expect that many will never be addressed. They are usually the bugs that require some deeper insight into the source code and as most programmers tend to stay rather short at Prestashop that expertise just isn't there.

Not to mention the deeper problems: Prestashop shows a tendency to grow unstable when it has been running for a longer time. Unfortunately the company shows zero interest to address these problems. Even the login loop that has been around for more than eight years has never been addressed. Unfortunately with each new version that tendency to get unstable is increasing.

How are we supposed to translate Module strings with new way ?

$this->trans (or getTranslator).

or l{s='strings' d=Modules.modulename.Shop'}

The Module installed translation tool disappeared from the select list.

The only strings that I can translate are strings written in old way

So how ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

productcomments is not upgraded and on the front-office are you sure that the stars will be present on product list and on the homepage? so aggregateRating microdata where will be shown? http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/BOOM-2004   I hope they will fix them

loyalty module?

advanced stock management is missing?

media server just one?

if I disable the cache the front-office goes much faster so what's the use?

theme configurator is missing?

sendtoafriend missing?

store icon is missing? I can be useful

many prestashop's module like productcategories, block modules .. are without any css style and they appear vertically

the long description and features are on a little block on the right for what? to show only 4-5 rows of text? and the left blank space is void for what?

Minify HTML is missing?

the loading page speed is ok, Symfony is ok and the checkout then what else?

For today I was grouchy enough :D

bye