Brainstorming: navigation on the community forum

Sylvain CM

Question

Oh hello,

If you’ve come to this section of the forum, congratulations are in order: you’ve managed to go to the bottom without getting hurt (I hope).

I’m opening this thread because I feel there is some confusion for new and regular users about posting in the correct section. To be honest with you, I’m new here and part of the confused ones: why the e-commerce section in General Forum is filled with topics about configuring PrestaShop? (I have my little idea: I think it’s because it is the first forum users can see and post topic in it).

So, let me ask in your opinion:

- What forums should be merged together?

- What forums need to be split or created?

- What titles are misleading?

- What forums need more exposition than the others?

I'm not planning on a big paradigm shift like your previous community manager Xavier did at the start of the year: what I would like to do is to improve the work he has done and take it one step further.

For example: is it a bad idea to put the Technical Forum section first, as most of the users go straight for it (best case scenario) or post a cry for help in the e-commerce section?

Please note: this topic is not about past polemics (like, say, I don’t know, paid modules). Its aim is to improve the navigation and the readability of the community forum. All ideas are welcome, you should also post about the international communities!

8 answers to this question

Yes! For the beta version of the forum I've been thinking on this organisation:

# PrestaShop Beta

## 1.6.x : current version

## 1.7.x : next version

Meaning whereas having to open every 2 weeks or so a new forum, having one per big revision. When the new current version is official, the old current version goes to the archive, and a new next version is created.

• Like 1

Hello

I think, to be honest, your on a loser, as you rightly say most new forum members go to the first forum link they see.

Once you have spent some time on the forum then you understand where your topic should be placed.

Perhaps, the easiest way to solve this would be to have a "First Question" forum at the top and then moderators could move it to the relevant forum, which, of course, happens.

So, change the "ecommerce" name to "First Question" and then the OP can be helped and told where to place future posts.

Unfortunately, this will not always work because most people do not read the rules & regulations.

Their is also the problem that their are a lot of non English posts on the English forum simply because this is the first forum that is visible.

Paul

Hello Bonjour Guten Tag

Perhaps, the easiest way to solve this would be to have a "First Question" forum at the top and then moderators could move it to the relevant forum, which, of course, happens.

Then I say right away either,  already as there are a lot of messages to move. At least on the French forum.

When I see a topic that not seem out of place, I first read only after I move it. And some days there are many and at night or in the day.

(google translate)

• Like 1

at the end of the day as  we saw with heroic efforts by past community manager, posting by version sorta kinda worked.  I have no real opinion on how navigation could better improved but the beta section could go bye bye or be resurrected.  That is beyond my pay grade.  

The forum is really easy to work with, the people are great out there trying to make their mark in the world, stay relevant, put shoes on the kids shoes, that is what makes it more motivating for them to post kindly in the forum...there is more at stake then a blog nobody will ever see.

I'm trying to figure out how to write in English for non-native English speakers and still sound kind.  That is hard to do. lol

And we don't have enough fun videos or appropriate place to post them.  Here is good brainstorming music.  Happy day...

Thanks a lot for the input so far.

I don't think a "First Questions" forum is a good idea: it promotes lazyness and frustration because "Where did my topic go?????" or "THIS IS A FIRST PRIORITY QUESTION?" or simply having one forum with big maintenance needed.

However, we could add a "First Responses" forum (semi-closed : no topic creation but responses are ok) with community selected topics : what do you think?

As for the community, I'm not saying everyone is posting wrong, I just want to be easier to find the correct sections.