Is it possible to use GNUv2 software in a commercial module

stratboy

Hi, I want to build a commercial module to sell from your addons marketplace. It will feature a slideshow such as flexslider and the like. Also it will use jquery, probably backbone/underscore and other pieces of utility software both for frontend and backend. There are really no reasons for reinventing the wheel. But many of them are under GNUv2 licence: is there any problem in using them on the module?

Thank you, regards

Edited by stratboy (see edit history)

Yes I know jquery is already there, but what about things like flexslider and the like (all GNU2)?

About backbone: yes you're right but I'm going to use it only for backoffice since my module has a quite articulated ajax UI. Don't worry, I'm a developer- ;) And anyway: it is known to be the lightest one of its category. I can assure that the module's backoffice page will be lightning fast.

Thank you, regards!

Hello stratboy,

first, I assume you mean the GPL v2 license (there is no GNU v2). The license allows commercial usage if not restricted by additional licensing rules of the creator. 

However, if you use specific software with a specific license like it you have to consider, that some oppose restrictions that your software must be of the same license too then. That is why the LGPL license was made, so that restriction is lifted for the software using it. 

You should really check the GNU website before deciding what software to use, especially the FAQ, which btw answers also your questions about commercial usage.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Have also a look at this article:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/47032/can-i-use-gpl-software-in-a-commercial-application