Product and Combination Update using CSV Files

We have over 500 products listed on our prestashop website and we have been updating each of these manually...such a time consuming task that it is never ending. We have an inventory database that contains most of the fields in prestashop but not all of them. Eg: our database contains the product reference code and name but does not contain the short description, meta tags etc. We already have this information in prestashop so what I want to do is use the CSV file import to only update specific information while keeping other data such as short description, tags and features, as it is currently. Right now, we only want to update the combinations and quantities from our inventory database and keep all other data unchanged in our website. We will use the ID field to map data between our inventory database and prestashop.

I have watched many tutorias on CSV imports and they all show the mapping tool but none of them explain whether you can choose to update only certain fields and not others without impacting existing data and I could not find this information in the prestashop documentation for 1.6.  I have seen how you can skip the first row but not how you can skip a column.

Does anyone know the answer to this question.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

You can update only certain fields and skip others in CSV import.

First you have to make sure that the ID's or References from your CSV match the ones in your store. If you're using Reference instead of ID's check the option "Use product reference as key".

Than in your CSV include only the columns that you need updated and remove the ones that you don't want.

If you don't remove the columns that you don't want to update from CSV you can still skip them when mapping the columns into import. From the drop down of the column choose "Ignore this column".

• 11 months later...

Hello Gabdara,

yes but some fields like attribute and value are required. So if i try to update only some products with already available attribute values , prestashop (1.5.4.1 in my case) does create new attribute/s and new values for the new attributes and does not uses the already available attributes, as i want. So is it possible to update a product with new or attributes at all without creating new attributes and values, but with using thees already made in the database. 

As far as ia have tried till now it is not possible even if i put the exact position of the available attribute.

Do you know what the solution is?

• 6 months later...

Hello Gabdara,

yes but some fields like attribute and value are required. So if i try to update only some products with already available attribute values , prestashop (1.5.4.1 in my case) does create new attribute/s and new values for the new attributes and does not uses the already available attributes, as i want. So is it possible to update a product with new or attributes at all without creating new attributes and values, but with using thees already made in the database. 

As far as ia have tried till now it is not possible even if i put the exact position of the available attribute.

Do you know what the solution is?

Hi, did you find a solution for this problem?