Feedback on my store

HansN

Thank you guys for your input!! much appreciated :)

@Whiley any suggestions how to make it faster? I have caching enabled and i have already SSD hosting (however it is shared hosting but i can not afford a dedicated server).

:wacko:

@Whiley any suggestions how to make it faster? I have caching enabled and i have already SSD hosting (however it is shared hosting but i can not afford a dedicated server).

Think, you should analyse your shop with tools like

https://gtmetrix.com/

and

http://www.webpagetest.org/

and follow the instructions to solve the "problems".

Have you activated CCC?

If your php-Version is < 5.5 you can try to activate an additional cache like apc-cache or memcache.

"Time to First Byte" is extremly long, try to delete all modules you don't need (but be careful - make a database-backup before).

You can also try to install a mediaserver for the static content (subdomain pointing to the img-folder)

And....

... VPS-Server with a unique ID are not so much expensive ( 5 to 8 euro/month, in Germany for example 1blu, united hoster, hetzner...) :)

Regards

Whiley

• Like 1

Hallo Hans,

I'm in germany and it is extremely slow. No matter which page I load, it requires several seconds before it shows anything for a page. This is very bad for ecommerce and it should be less than a second, better is below 500ms even.

If you have set already all you can to improve performance within Prestashop, you need to consider if the host is maybe too slow. You can enable the developer mode with profiling in Prestashop to receive more information what needs so much time. 

• Like 1

Think, you should analyse your shop with tools like

https://gtmetrix.com/

and

http://www.webpagetest.org/

and follow the instructions to solve the "problems".

Have you activated CCC?

If your php-Version is < 5.5 you can try to activate an additional cache like apc-cache or memcache.

"Time to First Byte" is extremly long, try to delete all modules you don't need (but be careful - make a database-backup before).

You can also try to install a mediaserver for the static content (subdomain pointing to the img-folder)

And....

... VPS-Server with a unique ID are not so much expensive ( 5 to 8 euro/month, in Germany for example 1blu, united hoster, hetzner...) :)

Regards

Whiley

I have used the tools you suggested and i have deleted all the modules that i dont need...

Also i am going to ask my host for their advice (but they claim already to be fast with SSD drives), definitely looking into that VPS server thing...

Thank you so much for the useful advice!!

I hope to get my site faster...

Hallo Hans,

I'm in germany and it is extremely slow. No matter which page I load, it requires several seconds before it shows anything for a page. This is very bad for ecommerce and it should be less than a second, better is below 500ms even.

If you have set already all you can to improve performance within Prestashop, you need to consider if the host is maybe too slow. You can enable the developer mode with profiling in Prestashop to receive more information what needs so much time. 

I am not so good in programming, not sure what to do with the developer mode and where to switch it on?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the welcome msg and payment msg at top myself. Looks good, like the colors.

Anyway, yep as others have said there is a problem in loading the site. Is there a script doing some sort of ip check for language? Not sure what it it is but it takes a few seconds to initially load.

• Like 1

I like the welcome msg and payment msg at top myself. Looks good, like the colors.

Anyway, yep as others have said there is a problem in loading the site. Is there a script doing some sort of ip check for language? Not sure what it it is but it takes a few seconds to initially load.

Hi Jetx, I have checked the prestashop settings and there was a browser language check, i have unselected that option.... i hope its faster now. Website speedtest was lot better now... Thanks for the tip!!!

I don't like the row with welcome message and payment method icons on the top.

Hi, MarcoBiz, the payment options are important for the Dutch clients, i will see if i can get it on a more elegant way. Thanks for your review, it's always good to hear someones opinion! Greets, Hans

• 2 weeks later...

A better English version of the wording at the bottom of the home page.

At the moment you have:

Our shop is build from the experience we have with epilepsy patients, their family and caregivers. n-connection wants to listen to you to! Do you have a suggestion or a question, dont hesitate to get in touch. At n-shop we believe in social responsibility, a part of our profits is invested in projects regarding epilepsy.

This is better:

Our shop is built from the experience we have with epilepsy patients, their families and carers. n-connection wants to listen to you too! Do you have a suggestion or a question? Please don't ("do not" I think is better) hesitate to get in touch. At n-shop we believe in social responsibility; a part of our profits is re-invested in epilepsy projects.

Also:

Looking for something specific or having a question, we like to help you [email protected] or +32 (0)468/12.71.19.

Should be:

Looking for something specific or have a question? We can help you (or "we would like to help you").

And I would change Payement to Payment and replace the U with You.

Sorry, I like to see good spelling and grammar; it looks more professional.

Otherwise, great site!

Paul, UK

• Like 1

A better English version of the wording at the bottom of the home page.

At the moment you have:

Our shop is build from the experience we have with epilepsy patients, their family and caregivers. n-connection wants to listen to you to! Do you have a suggestion or a question, dont hesitate to get in touch. At n-shop we believe in social responsibility, a part of our profits is invested in projects regarding epilepsy.

This is better:

Our shop is built from the experience we have with epilepsy patients, their families and carers. n-connection wants to listen to you too! Do you have a suggestion or a question? Please don't ("do not" I think is better) hesitate to get in touch. At n-shop we believe in social responsibility; a part of our profits is re-invested in epilepsy projects.

Also:

Looking for something specific or having a question, we like to help you [email protected] or +32 (0)468/12.71.19.

Should be:

Looking for something specific or have a question? We can help you (or "we would like to help you").

And I would change Payement to Payment and replace the U with You.

Sorry, I like to see good spelling and grammar; it looks more professional.

Otherwise, great site!

Paul, UK

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the valuable help, English is not my language, therefore i do appreciate this very much!

I have corrected the spelling and grammar.

Have a great week!

Hans

• 1 month later...

Maybe an idea: PHP 5.6 + fastCGI and opcache improved my performance drastically. I had similar performance issues, tried many things.

All my cache is on EXCEPT for the server cache the bottom one in performance) since Opcache does this now. Does Opcache work better with php 5.6 then 5.5? I'm under the impression that it does. I messed with xcache, apc, ect but nothing comes close to Opcache.

@Akhenaten +1

In addition, you should NOT! use the "File System" Cache option, it only creates more and more cache files that make your server even slower.. 

My hosting (A2 Hosting shared, too) just shut down my account once because the File System cache option created 350.000 files! the limit at A2 is 300.000. with this cache off i have only 53.000

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Maybe an idea: PHP 5.6 + fastCGI and opcache improved my performance drastically. I had similar performance issues, tried many things.

All my cache is on EXCEPT for the server cache the bottom one in performance) since Opcache does this now. Does Opcache work better with php 5.6 then 5.5? I'm under the impression that it does. I messed with xcache, apc, ect but nothing comes close to Opcache.

Sorry for my late reply, somehow i missed this tip :(   I will check my PHP version and go to 5.6. I had many problems with Cache as it did not allow me to change things to my website so they are all tuned off...    Is Opcache activated in php 5.6 or do i need to install that?

Thanks!

Hans

I'm on cpanel and WHM so I used the easyapache 3 setup. Opcache is not enabled by default. the php.ini file also needs adjustment.

I'm also using the PrestaShop Opcache Manager from dh42 (free)

When you enable opcache you can set the file update delay

my current settings in php.ini:

opcache.memory_consumption=128
opcache.interned_strings_buffer=8
opcache.max_accelerated_files=10000
opcache.max_wasted_percentage=25
opcache.validate_timestamps=1
opcache.revalidate_freq=0
opcache.fast_shutdown=1
opcache.enable_cli=1

default: opcache.revalidate_freq = 2

http://php.net/manual/en/opcache.configuration.php#ini.opcache.revalidate-freq

opcache.memory_consumption=128 might be overkill but in my case 64 wasn't enough. Now I always have plenty of free memory. So the settings depend a bit on how heavy the shop is.

• 1 month later...

Hi people,

I would appreciate some advice on my web shop http://www.n-shop.be  its in dutch, french, english and german (but only dutch version is without translation errors).   Im hosting it on A2 hosting servers with SSD but in my opinion its pretty slow.

All suggestions are more then welcome!

Hans

http://www.n-shop.be

The overall design of your website is fine