What is Fluid Width themes?

Fluid Width themes automatically resize based on the width of the browser window. Non-fluid themes, like the default Prestashop theme, are of a fixed width that stays the same no matter what the width of the browser window.

Fluid Width themes automatically resize based on the width of the browser window. Non-fluid themes, like the default Prestashop theme, are of a fixed width that stays the same no matter what the width of the browser window.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I see almost all of the themes are 980px wide. If the customer has a 14 inches screen, or a 24 inches screen, how will the screens look? What are the base for the browser? Is the 980px = to the whole screen? So no matter what size of the screen the customers have, the ]Fluid Width themes will take out the whole screen?

Thank you again for the help.

Prestashop's theme is optimised for 1024 x 768 resolution screens, which are common. The user will have to scroll horizontally on 800 x 600 or 640 x 480 resolution screens, but those are uncommon now. A fluid theme would adjust the width of the website to completely fill the width of all of these resolutions. The only problem with fluid themes is that you can't predict how text and images will wrap. On larger resolutions, a non-fluid theme will always be 980px wide and empty space will be added on the left and right side of the website. In a fluid theme, the text will fill the full width of the browser, meaning all the websites text could be displayed on only a couple of lines, leaving lots of space at the bottom of the website.

• 5 months later...

Here's the code in the default theme that controls the width of the website:

#page {
   width: 980px;
   margin: 0 auto 2px auto;
   text-align: left
}

And here's the code that controls the widths of the left column, center column and right column:

#left_column {
   clear: left;
   width: 191px;
   margin-right: 21px;
   overflow: hidden
}
#center_column {
   width: 556px;
   margin: 0 0 30px 0;
}
#right_column {
   margin-left: 21px;
}

As you can see, by default, the left and right columns are 191px and the center column is 556px. The width of the entire website is 980px. If you delete the #page block, the width of the website will be fluid instead of fixed, but the center column will still be 556px. You must delete the width from the #center_column block to make the center column fluid. The left and right columns will remain at 191px.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Here's the code in the default theme that controls the width of the website:

#page {
   width: 980px;
   margin: 0 auto 2px auto;
   text-align: left
}

And here's the code that controls the widths of the left column, center column and right column:

#left_column {
   clear: left;
   margin-right: 21px;
}
#center_column {
   width: 556px;
   margin: 0 0 30px 0;
}
#right_column {
   margin-left: 21px;
}

As you can see, by default, the left and right columns are 191px and the center column is 556px. The width of the entire website is 980px. If you delete the #page block, the width of the website will be fluid instead of fixed, but the center column will still be 556px. You must delete the width from the #center_column block to make the center column fluid. The left and right columns will remain at 191px.

thanks for helping, but it does not work for me, also i tried many other way i could but ...
I think it's harder than these
Hope a day we could see a fluid-width theme for prestashop

• 1 year later...

Has anyone successfully made a 100% fluid width template for presta shop with right and left columns constant and only the center part fluid.

I can't seem to make a fluid 100% width shop. I have made 100% fluid width templates for joomla by keeping the right and left columns constant and only making the center part fluid. I attained that by giving a fixed width for the columns and a 100% width to the center part but the way the divs were loaded was in the order of, Left, Right and middle. the left div column div was set to float on the left and the right div was made to float on the right. Then the center part would have the a left margin equal or equal to the left column's width and the same for the right column. This was the logic behind making a fluid 100% module for me.

So what im trying to find out now is, where do all the divs get called. Which code calls the the left_column div first then the center_column div second and right_column div third. I expected to find a blocks.php file (Thats what most templates use in Joomla).

If you know how the divs are loaded or if you know any Prestashop templates with 100% width, please tell me.

Thank you.

• Like 1