problem with recommended products on checkout page

PS 1.6.1.1

When the customer goes to the one page checkout page just below the shopping cart summary is a section entitled "we recommend" that has products below it. I thought maybe it was tied to the cross sell module but turning off cross sell doesn't seem to make any difference. I've searched far and wide to see where this is enabled and can find nothing anywhere.

The problem I have with it is ALL of our products require customization via the attributes. However, the products displayed here have an "add to cart" button beneath them which simply adds the product to the cart. (The product picture however is a clickable link to the actual product.

I need to either:

1. Be able to turn this off entirely or,

2. (Preferably) either remove the "add to cart" button altogether or make it work like our product button whereby it says "customize" and sends them directly to the product.

No one has an answer to this question? I really need to figure out how to control or remove the products displayed on the cart page either by removing it altogether, changing the link to add it to the cart so it goes directly to the product or removing that link.

Thanks Nemo, of course you are correct. Thought I had turned it off and it was still showing but if I turn off the cross selling module it goes away from the order page. Here is the bigger problem however. I'd like to have cross-selling. But the button for the product puts the product straight into the cart. This doesn't work with our store since everything is a customized product and sold therefore by attributes. If they click the item or the image it does put them into the product page but just the button is an "add to cart' button.

Any idea how I can hack this module so the button actually goes to the product and doesn't simply put the product in the cart?