Combinations with large volumns

Hello.  

Our client just added a new line from a new manufacturer.   Each product ( about 70 ) has 25 color attributes and 88 upholstery attributes.    First of all I had to increase the server time out significantly to allow the combination generator to work.  Then it only did created the 25 colors and 52 of the upholstery colors for one product.  i went out the the data base and discovered that Prestashop tried to create an individual record for each ( 88 + 30 ) attributes for that product. For 70 products that will be 8260 records in the attribute table just for this manufacturer.    That iseems very inefficient.   The overhead of having a table like this boggles my mind.   Is there any thought to have one set of attributes linked to multiple products.  

I imagine the most products have just a couple of colors but still to create those identical couple of colors for every product Ie 30 different shoe products that come in brown black and cordovan, will still give you a bunch of duplicate records. Each product could all link to the same three attributes instead of linking the attribute to the products.

I am wondering if I am thinking straight here or perhaps there is some other way to put a selection field for the product colors and upholstery colors.

let me know because of the limitations in the combination generator it looks like I will have to hand enter at least 36 upholstery colors for every product.

any suggestions?

Thanks So much.  

David

Edited by dclark (see edit history)

Prestashop maintains for each combination of attributes a stock quantity and some other data. So if one product has 25 colors and 88 upholstery attributes it has 25*88=2200 combinations. That times 70 products is 154,000 combinations. 

There is some module around that claims to have a solution for it but I don't have experience with it.

Hi Fanatic.   Well actually the stock quantity and other data are stored in the same record so the original math 88+30 * 70 does come up to 8,260 records containing fields for the information you mentioned.   No Matter the problem exists so I will take a look around for the module you mention.  I thank you for giving me some hope of solving this issue.

David