Moving shop data from a 1.6.1.0 server to a fresh 1.6.1.x server: how?

Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a PS 1.6.1.0 webshop (hosted). PS was initially installed with Dutch as its interface language.

We have discovered several annoying issues with this installation such as the inability to edit email templates using the backoffice (the templates are simply not found) and important strings not being translated to Dutch on the front end. Installation of additional languages and pulling in a new version of the Dutch language file have failed to fix the problems unfortunately

My hoster suggested to set up a new PS server with English as its first installed language (1.6.1.0 or 1.6.1.1) and then to merge my shop's data (settings, products, categories, pictures,...) with the new PS server code.

I'm willing to try this but is this really a good idea? Would a migration of the existing server to 1.6.1.1 not solve these issues?

Most importantly: if this is a good idea what is the procedure to do this i.e. to merge ALL the existing shop data with the new 1.6.1.1 PS server code?

Currently i have the impression PS mixes code and data files throughout it's directory tree and this does not make the management of the data very simple, does it? I might be wrong since I'm a PS beginner so please be gentle ;)

Thanks for your input!