Catagory Banners problem - Little Help Please

Hi
I am just playing with prestashop 1250 and I rather like it.
I have run into a little problem though - when I upload a banner for a catagory it shows up squashed in the middle of where it should appear in the front end. I have set the max size to 600px x 200px, then uploaded a jpg banner of approx 587px x192px which looks ok in the admin backend after saving - the size looks right. But - in the front end there seems to be some white borders added to the banner at each end which squash the actual pic.
I did a screen grab after highlighting everything on the page (the only way you can actually see these white borders) - please see attached.

I tried setting the max size to 400px - no effect.
Also you can see in the pic that this border runs out to the right and under the cart block - this causes the whole right colum to appear underneath the middle colum in ie6 (didn't test other ie flavours), though it stays in it's correct place in firefox.

I could do with a pointer in the right direction if anyone can help - thanks :)

19742_OcGA6UqysGMPRcHM5iXw_t

Global css was the first place I went, but I can't find anything in there that would be doing this.
I think after a little more digging that these 'borders' are actually the 2 ends of a place holder, but that hasn't helped me so far.

Oh well ...

Hi
Thanks for that - I was using the web developer firefox plugin, but I much prefer firebug :)

Ok - well although the placeholder does have an 11px border that is not even close to enough to cause this. Having looked a bit more into this 'brun' theme I see it's all over the place - if you get it looking ok in firefox it breaks in ie6 and vise-versa. Lol - life's too short so it's time to move on I think.

Actually I must say this seems to be a problem with prestashop - I have yet to find a theme (other than the unmodded default) thats 100% cross browser compatible (inc ie6). It's a shame that ps doesn't come with half a dozen well developed and tested themes (tested on the version they are released with) as I really think it would help it's popularity.

Part of the problem (or perhaps a second problem) seem to be that everytime you want to try a new theme you end up transplanting modules all over the place and hacking so many files just to get it working, then if you want to try another you have to reverse everything you did first, then do it all again for the new theme. Inevitably over time mistakes creep in and pretty soon no theme works properly and it's time for as total re-install.

I have been used to cs-cart where everything just works as you'd think it should (in all browsers), and modding the templates it really very easy as they are so logical. I guess I've been spoiled lol, though of course cs-cart is a paid for solution.

Anyway - thanks for the help, although I didn't solve the problem I did aquire a new tool which I very much like :)

Cloe