Installing Prestashop on a Home PC and Home DSL, will it work?

Hi everyone, I have a rather unusual question ...

I had so many problems with Prestashop on my server these weeks, always import all files via FTP again and now i am really tired of always waiting years for the FTP.

Does it make sense, and it is perhaps even fast enough to let the Prestashop with about 500 articles running on a PC at home?

I have a laptop with i5 processor, 8GB RAM and enough hard drive, this is joined by a 6MB DSL, not "up to", but "real" 6MB.

How would the load times and access times be?

Does it make sense or is security too much effort?

My current Hoster is One.com and the load times are not very fast, about 1-3 seconds per page.

best regards

Felix

Edited by backamblock (see edit history)

If I am understanding this correctly he wants to run the shop from a server he sets up on his residential internet connection.

I see a few issues

1) This would violate the TOS for most residential ISPs (at least this is true in my country) so I would look into this. Odds of your ISP finding out and taking action varies depending on the ISP. 

2) The second is speed. You said 6Mb but that is almost certainly your down speed. What you care about here is the upstream and typically 6Mb service has 800k upstream which is really slow. I don't know where you live but 6Mb connection is pretty much the entry level / slowest DSL available -- I have 50/10 and there are at least 3 or 4 offerings that are faster.

3) The other issue is data limits. My ISP does not count upstream towards data but I'm not really sure how common this is. Depending on how busy your store is data charges for going over your limit can greatly exceed the cost of hosting.

4) While pretty much any computer with the correct software installed can run PrestaShop quite fast I would not suggest running it on your personal computer. It is just not a realistic option to run a reliable store so if you wanted to run it from home you'd need to get a second machine that you'd use to run the shop. The machine doesn't need to be anything fancy, but you should do this with a separate server that is independent from the computer you use for personal stuff.

5) Have you ever set up a server? I setup and run a site to site VPN and have a local test server and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of moving my stores to an unmanaged VPS mostly because I don't actually know how much I don't know. I'm getting the impression you likely have little experience with this but I could be wrong -- have you ever set up a server that was open to the public?

The obvious question is why would you want to do this. Good shared hosting is cheap.  An unmanaged VPS is more but still pretty negligible. I don't really see how it would make sense to take on this when hosting is so economical.

• Like 1

Hi,

If we have shared hosting or VPS hosting then many things are setup already on server using WHM and cPanel.Hosting provider provide technical support as well.

When we setup server at home or office then all required software setup need to be done manually.

This process has learning curve and takes time.

PrestaShop Tutorials Videos [How to do Tasks]

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/907438-prestashop-tutorials-videos-how-to-do-tasks/

Edited by Zohaib-fk
Post Updated (see edit history)