Version upgrade from 1.5.4.1

Hi, 

I would like to upgrade my prestashop current version 1.5.4.1 to the latest version very first time.

I never did upgrade the version because I was afraid of any errors after upgrade done.

But recently my shop got a problem that PayPal doesn't work on my shop. So I finally decided to

upgrade to the latest version.

My question:

Is there anything I should know and do before upgrade? Please let me know anything to avoid any

possible errors or problems caused by version upgrade. 

Thanks

Yasko

Hi, the first step is to create a running copy of your shop to test upgrade and to see what issues will need to be addressed.  Typically you will want to 1) build a test copy 2) do upgrade 3) note what issues there are if any, what modules you will need to upgrade, theme installation/configuration.  

When you follow this basic guide, then you can develop a clear stragetry for your production shop.  Most often it's best to do the build on copy, then replace your production shop with this.

Other tips?  Make your own back ups from hosting, never rely on 3rd party solutions for back up and restore..

Read this:

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Automatic+update

At the end of the day, with 100's of upgrades under our belts the time will be spent configuring your theme for the 1.6 environment, this is the crucial thing, what your visitor will see.

tip: if it's just paypal that does not work and you cannot solve on your own (don't feel badly, happens to many), then you should consider posting in job offers for someone to fix it.