VAT question

Using prestashop 1.6.0.14

I seem to remember in earlier versions where was somewhere to specify if VAT / TAX should be charged on the delivery address or the billing address

Can;t find that now. Has it been removed?

Following on from this begs the question: is VAT / TAX (We are UK Based) charged on the billing or shipping address. I am getting conflicting advice on Google

So for example billing and shipping address in the Channel Island > No VAT as they are not part of the VAT scheme

But if the billing address is Channel islands and they want it shipped to the UK should we charge VAT?

And the otherway around, billing address in the UK and shipped to Channel Islands

Anyone here work for the tax man?

Hi Ron, 

Once you go into the shipping carrier you want to tax, you can add the tax on the second step. Please note that this will only reflect on NEW orders placed using the carrier. 

Wtih regards to tax questions, we partner with Avalara, who are tax experts. They'd be my best recommendation! https://www.prestashop.com/en/industry-partners/management/avalara 

Hi Julie

I know about VAT on carrier costs. This is about whether VAT should be charged on the WHOLE order based on the shipping address OR the invoice address

Avalara looks a very expensive option - but thanks for taking time to reply

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

OK, I have found the setting in localisation > taxes then scroll to the bottom

Prestashop says it defaults to "Delivery"

I suppose there is no perfect answer. All we can do is say an online ecommerce website can never get export tax perfect and hope that customers  (and more importantly) the tax man, agrees that if we state tax is based on the "delivery" address then it is up to customers then to declare / reclaim any taxes due on their side