503/500 error - using up php-processes

midana

I have had re-occuring 503/500 errors at a Prestashop store. I have noticed these errors at other PS stores on the same host, but I'm not sure why. In this case I need the website to be up more than it currently is. It happens several times a month where the website slows down and then goes down with an error. This "server unavailable" can last for a few minutes up to an hour or so.

I have tried checking the website for issues and none found in this case. Also contacted the host about it. Some times it's been the host having issues temporarily and other times they have said it could be my website.

Today they checked the error log and said it was that the website uses up all of the php-processes. Not sure what that means or if the translation of the word into English is correct but I hope it makes sense for someone. They also said that the cause for that happening could either be that the website has something that runs for too long and/or don't "close" correctly. Or that the website isn't fitted for shared hosting but should upgrade to VPS.

I only have 100-300 visitors a day, do I really need VPS? They are a bit expensive for me currently. I'm really sad about this issue so if anyone could help I would be greatful. Thank you. <3

Important! Your site is very fast. Congratulations! It is really tuned.

Anyway, www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/ says - Found over 1000 domains hosted on the same web server as www.c....

You are on a shared host, together with many domains and this server is perhaps occasionally overloaded. So you get HTTP 500 errors. Ask your admin to increase PHP timeout and memory for your scripts. Of course, it is not guaranteed on a shared host.