PrestaShop 1.6.1.0: a new level of performances

Xavier Borderie

A lot of things have been improved in the forthcoming PrestaShop 1.6.1.0:

• Design.
  • Invoices.
  • Search.
  • Performance.

We have done a lot of work to improve the overall performances of PrestaShop, and reached in some cases a whooping 10x improvement.

Let’s now dig into the optimizations we have put in place, and do some benchmarks.

Read the entire article on the Build PrestaShop devblog!

• Like 5

Do you know when 1.6.1.0 will be available to use?

I am preparing my shop for 1.6.0.14 but I'd rather go to this version :)

It should be there in July. We can't give a date for sure, because we're still receiving feedback from the community and fixing issues. We'd rather have all the major issues fixed before we release, instead of releasing a version with too many notable issues. Of course, 1.6.1.0 will have its set of issues (resulting in further feedback from the community), but we're trying to limit those, and not have to release 1.6.1.1 only a few days after 1.6.1.0 :)

• Like 1

Hi Xavier, I'm testing on live clone of 10.000 product shop at these moments. Will add resumée here or at forge.

If you are making your own benchmark, don't hesitate to put them in the comment of the article!

But if you find weird things in your benchmarks, or even loss of performance, then a Forge ticket is more appropriate.

Thank you!

I cannot see how the caching will actually work across machines without causing an issue.

You're right but this caching mechanisms are needed, to have possibility to make bigger and better shops, if you are making a bigger and better shop you need to take time and configure your webserver... it's obvious, that's why this article is very interesting and changes in PrestaShop are very excited.

Right, but from everything I have set up, with PrestaShop across multiple front end instances, you will need to use sticky cookies. So it would seem the caches would get out of sync just for that reason. Unless there is a check in the init somewhere. Also, are you just mapping theme and image directories now and not cache ones? Because you have to keep several directories in sync for PrestaShop to run correctly across multiple frontend instances. 

If you are making your own benchmark, don't hesitate to put them in the comment of the article!

But if you find weird things in your benchmarks, or even loss of performance, then a Forge ticket is more appropriate.

Thank you!

On front-office there is no noticeable speed with PS 1.6.1.0 compared to PS 1.6.0.11/14. But well I'm on ngninx.

Still having database query problem on categories and product pages on front office for PS 1.6.1.0.

Category page - mainly blocklayered module is having several bottle necks.

Product page - some bottle necks on smartycustom.php and also blockcategories (which I'm in fact not using, but due to an bug it is not possible to set exceptions for product page on the hooks - already added to forge the bug).

SEARCH - several bottle necks (one of 43 seconds!)

I have some screens taken, but I'm unable to add images to this topic On extended features I have only add reply and preview post, but no "attach image".

Should I add them to forge ?

Edited by selectshop.at (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On front-office there is no noticeable speed with PS 1.6.1.0 compared to PS 1.6.0.11/14. But well I'm on ngninx.

Still having database query problem on categories and product pages on front office for PS 1.6.1.0.

Yeah, the blockkayered module has long been thorn in our side... It's getting to the point where we're thinking of rewriting it from scratch -- but that's not for 1.6.1.0, sadly.

If you see performance bottlenecks, to not hesitate to create individual tickets for each context -- for instance, smartycustom, blockcategories, search, etc., with step by step guide to reproduce it, and your server configuration. Thanks!

The did not use APC in their report, they used APCu, which is different from APC. 

Well APC has not maintained since PHP 5.5 (June 2013). It's been superseded by the combination of OPcache (for PHP bytecode caching) and APCu (an object caching API for PHP applications).

Well APC has not maintained since PHP 5.5 (June 2013). It's been superseded by the combination of OPcache (for PHP bytecode caching) and APCu (an object caching API for PHP applications).

Yes this error I noticed when I want to upgrade the shop with 1-click module. Only by disabling cache I was able to upgrade. BTW on debug it is saying:

PrestaShop Version 1.6.1.0, PHP Version 5.6.10 (OK), MySQL Version 5.5.43-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 (Consider upgrading), Memory Limit 512M, Max Execution Time 900s, Smarty Cache enabled, Smarty Compilation auto

Sorry, but this is stupid. I cannot upgrade. Have a Plesk package installed (12.0.18). Cannot upgrade mySQL without Plesk.

Yes this error I noticed when I want to upgrade the shop with 1-click module. Only by disabling cache I was able to upgrade. BTW on debug it is saying:

PrestaShop Version 1.6.1.0, PHP Version 5.6.10 (OK), MySQL Version 5.5.43-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 (Consider upgrading), Memory Limit 512M, Max Execution Time 900s, Smarty Cache enabled, Smarty Compilation auto

This is stupid. I cannot upgrade. Have a Plesk package installed. Cannot upgrade mySQL without Plesk.

There must be a mistake in the MySQL check. Again, please create a Forge ticket about.

No, no. It is correct that  I have installed MySQL 5.5.43 for Ubuntu version with Plesk package. If you install Plesk package you cannot only upgrade mySQL - yes you can, but manually and than I have no Plesk support on it -. Only in a roundabout way via ssh.

But I think mySQL version 5.5. is not one of the oldest. Some customers are using 5.0 without any troubles (but with speed loss).

Right, is there better Opcode support in PrestaShop now? In the last versions APC, Memcache, and Filesystem are the only options. But the there needs to be an option to use multiples, I routinely use Opcache and Memcache together since APC does not work on 5.5. 

And can we talk about HHVM support. Is there a timeline?

• Like 3

No, no. It is correct that  I have installed MySQL 5.5.43 for Ubuntu version with Plesk package. If you install Plesk package you cannot only upgrade mySQL - yes you can, but manually and than I have no Plesk support on it -. Only in a roundabout way via ssh.

But I think mySQL version 5.5. is not one of the oldest. Some customers are using 5.0 without any troubles (but with speed loss).

Yep, I understood that :) Your server is fine, it's the module version-check which probably has a regex issue. I'm passing it on to devs.

Right, is there better Opcode support in PrestaShop now? In the last versions APC, Memcache, and Filesystem are the only options. But the there needs to be an option to use multiples, I routinely use Opcache and Memcache together since APC does not work on 5.5. 

And can we talk about HHVM support. Is there a timeline?

The APC setting works fine with APCu, as far as I know. You have to switch APC for APCu on the server.

No timeline yeat for HHMV. We're very much into 1.6.1.0 right now. Other plans will happen once it is shipped.

• Like 1

The APC setting works fine with APCu, as far as I know. You have to switch APC for APCu on the server.

No timeline yeat for HHMV. We're very much into 1.6.1.0 right now. Other plans will happen once it is shipped.

I have. Do you find that using the APC setting vs the Memcache setting in the back office provides better caching? Our main issue with our clients is mysql usage, it is normally the killer on our client sites. 

This doesn't stop Prestashop from using other outdated software (swiftmailer comes to mind), or having PHP 5.2 as the minimum requirements.

Well for to test ps 1.6.1. I upgraded the php version to 5.6.10. Stupid thing I did. Now my live shop was down for one day due to APC.

Only by disabling cache option on settings.inc.php I was able to get access to front and back-office again.

define('_PS_CACHE_ENABLED_', '0');

There should be something done with APC,. Working without problems on PS 1.6.11 till php version 5.5. and after switch to php 5.6. error (live shop blank site) and upgraded test to ps 16.1.0 saying it is not installed, but sure it is installed - was working before...
It is not possible to make changes on server only for Prestashop, if there are also other pages hosted on it  (joomla, WP). - http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-5997

and

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-5998

Xavier, need a hint what I should enable. APC and APCU are installed and have the error that it is not installed. Where is the error in my configuration, or it's simply not working with Prestashop ?

http://1atiershop.at/media/apc.jpg

Thank you!

Added performance problems (bottle necks) for category page, product page and search page to forge as follows:

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-6001

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-6000

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-5999

14 other bug tickets added and not yet assigned.

Well for to test ps 1.6.1. I upgraded the php version to 5.6.10. Stupid thing I did. Now my live shop was down for one day due to APC.

Only by disabling cache option on settings.inc.php I was able to get access to front and back-office again.

define('_PS_CACHE_ENABLED_', '0');

There should be something done with APC,. Working without problems on PS 1.6.11 till php version 5.5. and after switch to php 5.6. error (live shop blank site) and upgraded test to ps 16.1.0 saying it is not installed, but sure it is installed - was working before...

It is not possible to make changes on server only for Prestashop, if there are also other pages hosted on it  (joomla, WP). - http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-5997

and

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-5998

Got answer of developers: APC should be disabled for the moment.

Hi,

There has been many changes on cache classes from 1.6.0.11 to 1.6.1.0.

Please wait til next version to use this cache system. Just to remind this cache is only required and usefull if your mysql server has no query cache system which is very rare now. Please do not use it if not required.

Regards

Hi Xavier, specially this report will refrain me from to upgrade my shops to PS 1.6.1.0. Sorry, but we are on the steps of magento on this way = dedicated power server .  ;) Two upgrades on same cloned shop with same problems... No way to put the back-office into work without having tons of 503 errors.

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-6019

This is definetely something wrong with your machine, sorry but I have few shops updated to 1.6.1.0 for tests, one with over 6k products with really complicated categories tree structure and 30k+ orders/customers and it works perfectly fine, both on front-office and back-office.

I saw your ticket with enabled profiler and I was shocked, simple sql queries on your server are extremely slow when on my managed VPS everything works few times faster...

Edit: Maybe you should contact directly to Jocelyn who works on performance issues with PrestaShop, he was extremely helpfull with our problems on shopping cart with 75+ unique products and help us to reduce page load time from 5 to 1.3s

Edited by Krystian Podemski (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is definetely something wrong with your machine, sorry but I have few shops updated to 1.6.1.0 for tests, one with over 6k products with really complicated categories tree structure and 30k+ orders/customers and it works perfectly fine, both on front-office and back-office.

I saw your ticket with enabled profiler and I was shocked, simple sql queries on your server are extremely slow when on my managed VPS everything works few times faster...

Edit: Maybe you should contact directly to Jocelyn who works on performance issues with PrestaShop, he was extremely helpfull with our problems on shopping cart with 75+ unique products and help us to reduce page load time from 5 to 1.3s

Managed VPS ?On which provider ? Well I'm on VPS Cloud and cannot say that something is wrong with my machine. Something is wrong with Prestashop's upgrade. All other shops are fine  tuned running PS 1.6.0 or 1.5x. You are running besides Prestashop also other software ? Which one ? Which are your main server settings  (ph-version, mySQL-version, max_execution_time, max_input_time, memory_limit)  ? - only these settings are really relevant !! Other fine tuning on the server should be really fine tuning and not decisive for if the server is usable for Prestashop or not.

Today I will give a new try, with other upgrade settings. The one on which you switch directly to default-bootstrap after upgrade is a mess. you loose all pictures, have problems on modules. Perhaps at least the settings I made for upgrade are making troubles.

And sorry, but run Prestashop without APC or other caching system due to php-version. is of course a Prestashop problem and not a server one. APC, APCu is installed and I guess right configured. Prestashop simply ignores it. Not a server problem. Other software is recognising the use of APC on the server and is using the benefits on it.

And: each shop is an unique shop. If you are running yours well, it's ok, but surely you have totally other modules in use, themes installed, settings done (multishop, block layered with more than 1 mio combinations, extended stock, other localization pack), etc. I'm running this test shop since PS 1.3.1.1.

Your shops surely have totally other requirements. As from what I can read you prefer to use more master products  I have master and combos and also a complex filtering system. Cart of thousands of products is not my problem, this works well for me. So you see, each shop is a different one.

Mainly my problem is the blocklayered, which is hooked on all pages, and as Xavier told before: The module is a great problem. 

Yeah, the blockkayered module has long been thorn in our side... It's getting to the point where we're thinking of rewriting it from scratch -- but that's not for 1.6.1.0, sadly.

So for this my server is working  quite fine !

This also confirmed by the profiling protocol:

Load Time  1108 ms - OK... for a shared hosting

Load Time 1590 ms - OK... for a shared hosting

Load Time 1133 ms - OK... for a shared hosting

Load Time 785 ms - Unicorn powered webserver!

Load Time 711 ms - Unicorn powered webserver!

etc, etc, etc.....

three one results are for category pages on where blocklayered is loaded. The last two are also categories, but with only 3 filters and in total 30 filter options. So you can see the difference between big categories and not so big one.

To test on a fresh install it is also not my target.

Edited: added the problem on performance and block layered because this module is active on main pages of Prestashop as a sole bug: http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-6019

• Like 1

Hi Xavier!

Live Editor works, unfortunately not quite as it should now either! Although it reported that it would be fixed!

I can now see the page but it is three times (3) of the product images, and there is no button to save the changes. No big deal but for those who use this feature, it can surely be nice if it also worked.

Translation for Invoice lack of lines to be translated. (invoice) and (Invoice # b2b) 
It shall be Faktura och Faktura # b2b On each tab.

This will also appear on the invoice sent to the client, so this is important to get it with this case, "Swedish" Faktura and Faktura # b2b

Has made a new report to the Forge.

Hoping for a quick fix for this!

Best regards
MacRoy
Edited by MacRoy (see edit history)

Hi Xavier!

Live Editor works, unfortunately not quite as it should now either! Although it reported that it would be fixed!

I can now see the page but it is three times (3) of the product images, and there is no button to save the changes. No big deal but for those who use this feature, it can surely be nice if it also worked.

Translation for Invoice lack of lines to be translated. (invoice) and (Invoice # b2b) 
It shall be Faktura och Faktura # b2b On each tab.

This will also appear on the invoice sent to the client, so this is important to get it with this case, "Swedish" Faktura and Faktura # b2b

Has made a new report to the Forge.

Hoping for a quick fix for this!

Best regards
MacRoy

Thank you for those tickets!

Interesting that the title says New level of performance but in my testing the issue with product save in BO posted many times here on the forum still exist.

I made a report on the forge while testing 1.6.0.14 and it was closed saying that this has already been reported.

I just installed 1.6.1.0 for testing and the first thing I find is the same issue BO save when adding products is very slow (compared to my actual 1.6.0.6).

Typically takes 30 - 40 sec for the Save & stay and Save buttons to stop spinning, my 1.6.0.6 site takes less then 5 sec.

Its amazing to me that this has been reported yet a new version appears with the same issue.

Any Thoughts. 

Interesting that the title says New level of performance but in my testing the issue with product save in BO posted many times here on the forum still exist.

I made a report on the forge while testing 1.6.0.14 and it was closed saying that this has already been reported.

I just installed 1.6.1.0 for testing and the first thing I find is the same issue BO save when adding products is very slow (compared to my actual 1.6.0.6).

Typically takes 30 - 40 sec for the Save & stay and Save buttons to stop spinning, my 1.6.0.6 site takes less then 5 sec.

Its amazing to me that this has been reported yet a new version appears with the same issue.

Any Thoughts. 

The spinning probelm of button on product page is a bug not related to speed, but an error of the software in combination with slow servers. See same topic about this problem here:  https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/451535-16014-spinning-savebutton/

The spinning probelm of button on product page is a bug not related to speed, but an error of the software in combination with slow servers. See same topic about this problem here:  https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/451535-16014-spinning-savebutton/

Sorry your post contradicts itself, saying its not a bug but a an error of the software (ie: BUG).

I have been testing and using Prestashop since 1.4 and not untill the latest releases was this an issue.

I currently have a 1.6.0.6 online shop and the issue does not exist in this version, when I load the exact same product it only takes about 3-4 seconds for page load.

In the two latest versions I have tested 1.6.0.14 and now 1.6.1.0 it takes 30 seconds or more for page to load so you can continue product input.

These are all on the same server that I have used since I started using Prestashop so saying its a server issue does not make since.

Not trying to be combative here so don't take offence just trying to figure it out.

I am going to load some other versions today 1.6.0.9 and 1.6.0.11 and see if I have this issue and to see where the issue started.

http://team-shepherdusa.com

Ok so loaded 1.6.0.9 and added the same product and the issue of rolling save buttons does not exist page loads within 3-4 seconds so this once again this points to some change made to the software not a server issue.

1.6.0.12 is the next test.

Ok so loaded 1.6.0.9 and added the same product and the issue of rolling save buttons does not exist page loads within 3-4 seconds so this once again this points to some change made to the software not a server issue.

1.6.0.12 is the next test.

If you follow the report I've linke, you will notice that this problem is available since PS 1.6.0.11 - http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-5427

The s pinning probelm of button on product page is a bug not related to speed

Hey sorry I did miss read your post thought it said not a bug but an error in the software.

The problem I have is that this error as you know did not happen until 1.6.0.11 and I have more then 1 version on the same server and the only ones with the issue are versions after 1.6.0.11 so nothing to do with server speed but an error ie:bug in the software.

As i said in my first post why release a new version without finding and fixing the slow save issue.

For me and I am sure many others the latest vrsions are unusable as it would take a lifetime to enter the products.

If you read my bug report, you will see that of course it is aslo related to the server in use. I was able to reduce the spinning time, after move to a new server. Sometimes it is not possible to say that a bug is only provocated by the software. There are several other things you should take into consideration (php-version or other scripts serversided are one of the biggest factors when something is not working). Perhaps when you simply change a php-version, you will not have any problem, which with another php-version is causing a problem ;)Software development is not just black and white but also has a large gray zone of errors not caused by the software X.

A good example from my experiences: Despite that PHP 5.6 works faster than PHP 5.2., I do not recommend to use Prestashop 1.6.1. under PHP 5.6. Php 5.6. have several bugs on which Prestashop 1.6.1. are too indicating errors that don't are available on php-version 5.5. I tried several php versions 5.6. and all of them with problems, so I downgraded to php 5.5.24 for ex. not having any loss of speed in comparison to php 5.6.

While I agree with what you say in the case of the BO save issue I still see this as a software issue based on the testing I have done.

I did change the PHP version on my server from 5.2 - 5.5 all showed the same issue with BO save.

I do agree that you could have issues on one server and not another do to script or server software for me that is not the case with the issue.

Since this issue did not evolve until 1.6.0.11 it is obviously a change made to the software itself based on the fact that on the same server the issue was not present in previous versions.

I do agree that you could have issues on one server and not another do to script or server software for me that is not the case with the issue.

Since this issue did not evolve until 1.6.0.11 it is obviously a change made to the software itself based on the fact that on the same server the issue was not present in previous versions.

Yes that is clear. This error still exists since version 1.6.0.11.

• 1 month later...

Any thing new for HHMV?

I wonder if anyone have tried to make it work?

This shows how to make it work with a failover of PHP-FPM:

https://bjornjohansen.no/hhvm-with-fallback-to-php

https://www.uffizio.ch/blog/does-prestashop-work-with-hhvm.html

What do you think?