prestashop isn't good for downloadable goods. (can't modify or remove address)

KiaAzad

remove address option  

163 members have voted

1. 1. do you want the option to change or remove address fields?

• Yes!
    • No!!
    • I'm a prestashop developer and I don't care!!!

for selling virtual and downloadable goods there's no need for any address but prestashop has some bug that forces buyer to fill the address. there is no way to change or remove the address fields and to make things worse developers don't answer any question related to this matter.

I saw many people posting in this forum without getting any answer ever since I switched to prestashop. let's bump this thread until somebody solve this problem.
Edit reason: Groot

Edited by KiaAzad (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I thought you could do that in Localization > Country ?

But even so, from a legal point of view, if you are taking credit card data on-line do you not need to collect address details? I don;t know that for certain though

Working properly in PS v1.5.6.2, not sure about other versions.

But even so, from a legal point of view, if you are taking credit card data on-line do you not need to collect address details? I don;t know that for certain though

The topic is about shipping address, an invoice/billing address may still be required depending on payment method.

every country has some different methods of payment and many of them don't need much information. in my case I send the costumer and his bill to his bank's website > he pays > bank sends the money to my bank account and and the paid bill to my website and his email. I don't even need to know his name.

these methods are so common I wonder why developers didn't consider them in the first place.

I don't even need to know his name. these methods are so common I wonder why developers didn't consider them in the first place.

because the majority of businesses and ecommerce stores want to know their customers, and I am sure Prestashop was designed for the majority

• Like 1

Working properly in PS v1.5.6.2, not sure about other versions.

The topic is about shipping address, an invoice/billing address may still be required depending on payment method.

True, but as there is a tick box which is enabled by default that means you do not need to enter a shipping address as a separate event. So I (wrongly?) assumed OP was talking about any address

• 2 weeks later...

True, but as there is a tick box which is enabled by default that means you do not need to enter a shipping address as a separate event. So I (wrongly?) assumed OP was talking about any address

he states shipping address numerous times in his first post, no need to assume

• 1 month later...

Customers can always change/update their address before finishing the checkout process.

For virtual products, PrestaShop doesn't force customer to fill shipping address, but customer should inform their billing address.

Why an online shop should ask for customer billing address ?

• It's an important information as a legitimate document for online transaction
  • When sending the transaction to the payment gateway (e.g PayPal, MoneyBooker, etc), integrated banking payment system, or pay with Credit Card, it's frequently used to ensure that the transactions are carried out is not fraud.
    Even a non integrated bank wire system via ATM, iBanking or mBanking still have a possibility for a fraud >> Ref. : Address Verification System
  • If there is a problem with the order or the payment, then the merchant have more then just an email address which can be use to contact the customers
  • For demographic or statistic purposes, its useful to know more information about your customer.
  • In certain case or on certain online shop, sometimes it can be use as an alternative way to recover customer account.

PrestaShop and others e-commerce software are really care about the reason described above.

Don't you care about all the reason described above ?
You are free to modify and customize the default shopping cart system as you wish and at your own risk.

Don't know how to do it ?
Feel free to ask the community on this forum.

The easy way is to create "dummy billing address" during customer registration and of course the customers doesn't have to know about it.
But then, you should modify the confirmation mail, order details page, pdf invoice and all related, so there is no address shown.

It's an important information as a legitimate document for online transaction

for some countries but not for all...

When sending the transaction to the payment gateway (e.g PayPal, MoneyBooker, etc), integrated banking payment system, or pay with Credit Card, it's frequently used to ensure that the transactions are carried out is not fraud.

I'm not using any of them

If there is a problem with the order or the payment, then the merchant have more then just an email address which can be use to contact the customers

a phone number is more than enough. sending mails is too much these days, I don't want to waste paper and time on a customers who didn't care to put their correct email and phone numbers.

For demographic or statistic purposes, its useful to know more information about your customer.

maybe the city of residence but who cares about the street and alley they are in as long as they paid for the merchandise.

In certain case or on certain online shop, sometimes it can be use as an alternative way to recover customer account.

how much is the chance of that happen? once a year? once each 10 years? no... more like once in my lifetime.

PrestaShop and others e-commerce software are really care about the reason described above.

How about caring about what the one who actually is using your product?

Don't you care about all the reason described above ?

A simple answer is: no

You are free to modify and customize the default shopping cart system as you wish and at your own risk.

How? at least give us a hint... is it inside the theme folder? is it a tpl file? am I getting closer?

Don't know how to do it ?

Feel free to ask the community on this forum.

We did and nobody gave us a useful answer. that's why we are still hanging around here asking for help.

The easy way is to create "dummy billing address" during customer registration and of course the customers doesn't have to know about it.

Would you care to tell us how?

... the rest of my last post (looks like it exceeded the maximum blocks by few)

But then, you should modify the confirmation mail, order details page, pdf invoice and all related, so there is no address shown. 

We will do that as soon as you tell show us where to start.

and please answer a little faster it's been half a year my website is on hold for this.

... the rest of my last post (looks like it exceeded the maximum blocks by few)

We will do that as soon as you tell show us where to start.

and please answer a little faster it's been half a year my website is on hold for this.

Well I guess now you already know why billing address is required, and why common e-commerce software ask for it within the order checkout process, also realized that PrestaShop doesn't force customer to fill shipping address and customers always have a chance to update/edit their address during checkout.

Next, please Posting a new thread to discuss your need about how to disregard or modify customer billing address step for virtual product order.

And please read PrestaShop documentation to find out more about :

1. How to configure customer address fields
  2. How to override PrestaShop core files ( it might required depend to your needs)

Explain your requirement and your question cleary on the new thread, including your Prestashop version. Maybe a statement like ...

"I don't need common billing address format.
I just need customer email address and phone number, no need to know their home/office address 
or any other else as required for billing address.
How to modify order-address step to achieve such purpose ?"

thank you for the fast answer

Well I guess now you already know why billing address is required

I knew it all along but in my case (and some other people I saw on the forum) it's not important at all since online payments here are handled by the banks website and they handle such problems.

Next, please Posting a new thread to discuss your need about how to disregard or modify customer billing address step for virtual product order

searching the documentation, forum and posting a topic regarding my problem was the first thing I've done but it didn't help at all. you can see them below.
https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/396343-removing-or-making-address-fields-optional/
https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/397577-adding-default-values-for-the-address-fields/

anyway I asked the question again would you see to it doesn't end up like the ones before?
https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/458023-how-to-configure-customer-billing-address-to-remove-fields/

and how about making it optional in the next versions? where we can suggest that?

thank you for the fast answer

I knew it all along but in my case (and some other people I saw on the forum) it's not important at all since online payments here are handled by the banks website and they handle such problems.

searching the documentation, forum and posting a topic regarding my problem was the first thing I've done but it didn't help at all. you can see them below.

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/396343-removing-or-making-address-fields-optional/

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/397577-adding-default-values-for-the-address-fields/

anyway I asked the question again would you see to it doesn't end up like the ones before?

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/458023-how-to-configure-customer-billing-address-to-remove-fields/

and how about making it optional in the next versions? where we can suggest that?

Okay then let's discuss on the new thread >> https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/458023-how-to-configure-customer-billing-address-to-remove-fields/

• 2 weeks later...

Downloadable goods is not easy to make

This Site is made with Prestashop 1.6 www.naturisonline.uk 

any tips on how to?

seems we are back to this topic since "gonebdg" guy didn't  help at all. looks like he just wanted to add to his post count

• 2 months later...

It amazes me that people are voting for a feature that already exists.

Shipping address is not required or requested if the cart only contains virtual products.  It works this way already in Prestashop.

Billing address is a different story, and most customer still need to provide a billing address in order to make a payment and receive an invoice.

for selling virtual and downloadable goods there's no need for any shipping address but prestashop has some bug that forces buyer to fill the shipping address.

This is the first sentence in your first post.  It specifically says SHIPPING ADDRESS and never mentions billing address.

As for enhancing PS to make billing address optional, did you ever open a forge ticket for the enhancement request?  PS doesn't look at forum polls to decide what features to add

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)

This is the first sentence in your first post.  It specifically says SHIPPING ADDRESS and never mentions billing address.

As for enhancing PS to make billing address optional, did you ever open a forge ticket for the enhancement request?  PS doesn't look at forum polls to decide what features to add

Even though people say it's billing address, it says shipping address with a checkbox  underneath for adding different billing addres. iyou can test it yourself by installing one and adding some virtual product... or maybe it's only my installation, it's anoying the same no matter what it's title says.

I'll try this forge ticket and I hope it's not as usless as the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically Prestashop isn't convenient on order creation at all.

No for real products, neither for virtual ones.

Example:

You have delivery method that is only for Point Of Sale and besides you can have many of them. Why should customer fill any addresses, if order is placed for point of sale. It would be much more convenient, if customer can choose the point of sale or store where to pick up the order.

Another example is only for delivery method which ships only to it's own warehouses, but not to customer's door. Again, there is no need to provide customers address. But a desperate need to have an option to choose the desired warehouse where to pickup the order.

You can imagine how conversion rate drops on filling that dummy fields.

<_< <_< <_<

• Like 1

In my opinion it would be much better and user-friendly to define each address field set for every separate delivery method. And let user choose the desired method and fill only those fields, that are related to chosen delivery.

I have an online shop running Prestashop and it is awesome except ordering process. I'm completely mad about one page checkout system.

The order page should be completely reworked:

1. On user info part you fill your user info: name and surname, email. If not needed, let user skip this. As for me, I don't need user email, let it be non-mandatory.

2. On delivery part let me choose a set of related fields for every delivery method that user should fill. If delivery is not needed, as for virtual products, let user skip this. This works for payment part too.

3. On payment part let me choose fields for every single payment method. Why should user fill any field if he chooses Cash on Delivery? Nonsense!

But you have a very unique scenario.  I understand not needing a shipping address for virtual products (which is already supported.)

But 90% of merchants are going to need to capture payment, and those merchants need a billing address.  I suspect you are in the minority here, and you will need to develop a custom solution.

Okay. 

Bad news everyone.

That will be a big pile of work if someone is going to code this.

In first approach I think that Address class Address controller and Validate class should be put completely upside down.

I don't see other option but to look for another e-commerce solution and migrate in future if nothing changes.

again, the majority of merchants selling online using an ecommerce platform are going to want to obtain a billing/invoice address from their customers.  Most payment providers would require it.

Its not unreasonable that Prestashop would not develop this solution when there are many other issues and features to address that the majority of people want.

Alternatively, create the solution your self and then contribute it using their github

In other words you want to say: Nobody cares about those 92% who voted yes! and alternatively we should go modify the source files without knowing what we are doing and if we accidentally fixed our problem, had it to the developers so they don't forget mess it up in the next version again.
believe me if I had that much PHP coding skill I wouldn't bother installing any CMS. I would start developing a CMS for my own need. how long could it take? a year? still beats a year asking for a simple feature and hearing "NO" all the time

and all of those who dropped prestashop and moved to another platform plus those who don't want the hassle of creating an account when they see nobody cares. I learned for each person who speaks there are hundreds of others who agree but stay silent.

• 1 month later...

Do you think, that when someone releases some sw for free, his obligation is to implement your requirements for free? Just hire a developer.

Hire a developer to fix a free software? why do you think people use free software?

of curse I knew prestashop is not free from the start, nothing is. the idea is to make a semi functional software and distribute it for free to sell plugins that add the functions people need or make money from individual users who request some fix.

I have no problem with them making money, they deserve it. my problem is: they ignore anybody who is not holding money in their hand...

• 6 months later...

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/543701-how-i-can-disable-billing-address-feature-at-all/?do=findComment&comment=2369495

They could do such addresses as an option turning off/on at will. Or they should not spread Prestashop outside Europe border.

Well. Billing or whatever... How I can leave only ONE address? After all, I can rename a billing address in the needed one. For example, the delivery address.

• 2 months later...

I have exactly the same problem. My website ohmyicons.com I sell wallpapers, icons and stuff to customize desktop computers. I have another store running Zen cart and I don't have this issue. Please developers! I don't think is a big deal to add this option for digital products.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem. My website ohmyicons.com I sell wallpapers, icons and stuff to customize desktop computers. I have another store running Zen cart and I don't have this issue. Please developers! I don't think is a big deal to add this option for digital products.

Thanks!

What issue do you have exactly?  And what version of Prestashop are you using?  Prestashop does not require or prompt for a shipping address if the cart only contains virtual products.

What issue do you have exactly?  And what version of Prestashop are you using?  Prestashop does not require or prompt for a shipping address if the cart only contains virtual products.

really? after all this time you want to repeat that for everybody?

I wonder what part of "we don't want to bother our client with any address" you can't understand?

really? after all this time you want to repeat that for everybody?

I wonder what part of "we don't want to bother our client with any address" you can't understand?

I simply asked a question as to what issue they have.  coming to this thread and saying "i have the same exact problem, and need a solution" is pointless. 

And perhaps its time for you to understand that this Poll is not going to get any visibility or attention.  If you want this solution, develop it and submit it.  But I guess you would just rather wait a few years for nothing to occur, and just complain.

I simply asked a question as to what issue they have.

No, you simply repeated the same thing you've been repeating from the first day.

If you want this solution, develop it and submit it.

I moved on a long time ago, if the developers won't bother to fix something they make money from, why should I bother with it? the reason I keep coming back and comment on this post is: I want to see how dense can they be? I mean really? 93% is still too low for them?

Your very first topic specifically says "SHIPPING ADDRESS".  So I am NOT going to assume that everyone that responds to this thread with "I have the same exact issue", is referring to the ability to NOT have an "INVOICE ADDRESS".

for selling virtual and downloadable goods there's no need for any shipping address but prestashop has some bug that forces buyer to fill the shipping address. there is no way to change or remove the address fields and to make things worse developers don't answer any question related to this matter.

As I said, and will continue to say.  Prestashop already works properly in regards of a shipping address with virtual products.  And for the people reacting to your poll, I want them to understand that fact.

I want to see how dense can they be? I mean really? 93% is still too low for them?

93% of 100 people that have voted?  Are you kidding me?  If this was a huge issue, you would have thousands of people voting.

And of the 100 people that have voted, I doubt these people have any clue based on your first topic which says "SHIPPING ADDRESS", have any idea what they are voting for...

Your very first topic specifically says "SHIPPING ADDRESS".

I didn't change it because I know people like you wouldn't stop mentioning the edited first post. and I told you before it shows as shipping address with a checkbox  underneath for adding different billing address. was that too hard to understand?

As I said, and will continue to say.

please don't, your broken record repeating has no value to anyone here.

93% of 100 people that have voted?  Are you kidding me?  If this was a huge issue, you would have thousands of people voting.

you want to tell me that prestashop has more than 100 users left? since when we can count votes of people who don't vote? in that case I have millions of people around who would vote "Yes" if they had accounts... or internet... or computers... or literacy...

I know you think you're pointing out something important but quite frankly it seems childish and it's just annoying to people who try to solve the problem.

I know you think you're pointing out something important but quite frankly it seems childish and it's just annoying to people who try to solve the problem.

thats actually quite funny and ironic.  your solution to solving the problem is to move to a different platform..  way to help solve the problem

thats actually quite funny and ironic.  your solution to solving the problem is to move to a different platform..  way to help solve the problem

moving to another platform actually solved my problem, I can't see your comments doing any good for anyone...

Actually, my comment will help anyone who only cares about suppressing the shipping address, as your initial topic reads.  again, you are deceiving people into voting and agreeing with you by not changing your initial post to reflect what your real issue is.  fortunately that is only 100 people

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)

Your Poll and Topic could have simply been...

"Enhance Prestashop so that the merchant can disable the collection of an invoice address"

Shipping address has no bearing in this discussion, because Shipping address is not collected when the Cart only contains virtual products. 

It's not a bug or defect, it is the way Prestashop was designed to work. 

Prestashop is actually good for downloadable products, I use it and it has served me well.  However in my business model, I want and need an invoice address, as most merchants do.  

However you would rather kick and scream that it sucks b/c it doesn't serve your needs.  And even though you have moved on, you are still fighting, kicking and screaming.

good, then its working, we'll waste your time just as you are wasting everyone elses time.

Its clear you don't even care to have this issue resolved, all you care about is complaining and being a pita.  If you did want the issue resolved, you would have taken my feedback originally and proceeded with it.

false, you can't waste my time, it takes a minute to answer you.
false, I'm not wasting everyone's time you are.
true, I don't care.
false, I'm not complaining,.. anymore. you are.
and finally: your feedback has been as worthless as it is right now from the start.

and finally: your feedback has been as worthless as it is right now from the start.

Thank you for making my point. 

Had you actually listened to the feedback, and reported this to Prestashop properly, it may have been addressed.  But keep doing what you are doing, its clear your agenda is to bash Prestashop and anyone who likes Prestashop, and not actually try to address the enhancement you wanted

Had you actually listened to the feedback, and reported this to Prestashop properly,

It amazing how dense you can be, https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/446524-prestashop-isnt-good-for-downloadable-goods-cant-modify-or-remove-address/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2180567

lack of brains or eyesight, whichever is the case, you're just embarrassing yourself...

• 3 months later...

Hmm, is this still going?

I have done it for my site, because the invoices I send to my clients, can never ever be re-created on Prestashop, in fact, my clients are known on the fingers, and a single project may take minimum a month to 6 months, and how the milestones are stated and how the contracts' ID are added and deadline and bonuses and whatever is something only in dreams can be added.

I only use Prestashop by including a Link in the Invoice, they click and get directly to pay the invoice, and why I'm using Prestashop, is because strangely I've found that Paypal would allow me to accept payments using Prestashop, while I had never been able to receive it directly from my account, whether I send a Paypal Invoice, or the client tries to pay for Good & Services, and Paypal customer staff always repeated the same thing: "Your account is in good standing, and it's a problem from the part of the sender", which is not true at all, because I tried to send from my own other account and it doesn't get through, my family members tried, my friends and every single one of one clients from at least 5 different countries from 3 different continents :/

In my case, I don't need neither a Shipping Address, nor a Billing Address, I just need a Payment Processor solution, i.e. Paypal, and Paypal only lets me accept payments via Prestashop.

Not sure if it's ok, but I don't mind sharing my solution, however, any upgrade will break your customization, and they're a heck of a work tbh!

Not sure if it's ok, but I don't mind sharing my solution, however, any upgrade will break your customization, and they're a heck of a work tbh!

sure, we've been waiting for somebody to share a working solution.

we're all ears, emm eyes ^_^

• 11 months later...

Hi guys,

I was looking to remove Address step from checkout and I finally managed to do it,

I managed to hide Address step by assigning all orders to a single Address and removing the Address step from checkout process. Let's say you have an address with id = 2, using code below, all orders will be created with this address.

1. Create an address from BO, let's say it has id_address = 2

2. Hook actionDispatcher to update our cart in database

and hook your module to actionDispatcher

modules/yourmodule/yourmodule.php:

<?php
public function hookActionDispatcher($params = []){
  // every time we go to a payment controller, we update current cart id_addresses to 2
  $payments_controllers = [
    'ps_wirepaymentvalidationModuleFrontController',
    'ps_checkpaymentvalidationModuleFrontController',
  ];
  if($params['controller_type'] == Dispatcher::FC_FRONT &&
    in_array($params['controller_class'], $payments_controllers) &&
    $params['is_module']){

$cart = new Cart($this->context->cookie->id_cart);
    if($cart->id_address_delivery == 0 || $cart->id_address_invoice){
      $cart->id_address_delivery = 2;
      $cart->id_address_invoice = 2;
      $cart->update();
    }
  }
}
  1. Override Address with hardcoded id_address

override/classes/Address.php:

class Address extends AddressCore {
  public static function getFirstCustomerAddressId($id_customer, $active = true){
    return 2; // hardcoded id_address
  }
}
  1. Override Cart to have an always valid address

override/classes/Cart.php

class Cart extends CartCore {
  public function checkAndUpdateAddresses(){
    return true; // always valid
  }
}
  1. Override OrderController to remove Adress step from checkout override/controllers/front/OrderController.php

class OrderController extends OrderControllerCore {

protected function bootstrap(){

// copy everything from https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/blob/1.7.2.x/controllers/front/OrderController.php#L90

// but comment those lines:

// ->addStep(new CheckoutAddressesStep(

// $this->context,

// $translator,

// $this->makeAddressForm()

// ))

}

}

Address step is now hidden from the front office : 

source https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47228469/how-to-remove-delivery-shipping-step-on-prestashop-1-7/48859854#48859854

Capture d’écran 2018-02-19 à 00.06.31.png

Capture d’écran 2018-02-19 à 00.06.42.png

Edited by Florian (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 19/2/2018 at 6:21 AM, Florian said:

1. Hook actionDispatcher to update our cart in database

and hook your module to actionDispatcher

modules/yourmodule/yourmodule.php:

<?php
public function hookActionDispatcher($params = []){
  // every time we go to a payment controller, we update current cart id_addresses to 2
  $payments_controllers = [
    'ps_wirepaymentvalidationModuleFrontController',
    'ps_checkpaymentvalidationModuleFrontController',
  ];
  if($params['controller_type'] == Dispatcher::FC_FRONT &&
    in_array($params['controller_class'], $payments_controllers) &&
    $params['is_module']){

$cart = new Cart($this->context->cookie->id_cart);
    if($cart->id_address_delivery == 0 || $cart->id_address_invoice){
      $cart->id_address_delivery = 2;
      $cart->id_address_invoice = 2;
      $cart->update();
    }
  }
}

Dear Florian,

I'm unable to understand this point.

Acually I need to by pass Address (I've extended Personal Info section with an address field inside) and Carrier Step.

I was able to bypass Carrier step commenting out the relative section in controllers/front/OrderController.php

when i try to do the same with Address step (as you suggest in point 5) got a blank page.