Suggestions sought... shipping issues

Hi all. I am hoping I can find someone who has been in a similar situation as me and can help me out with some suggestions as to how I should set up my shipping in my cart. It's really confusing to me at the moment, and I've found one temporary way, but I REALLY don't want to have to do it. Let me explain:

I drop ship items. I go through 2 separate companies. One is in New York, the other is in California. Both companies will be using UPS to ship anywhere in the lower 48 states for me. Shipping cost depends on weight, as well as a fee for drop shipping (Anywhere from 2.00 to 8.00 / item).

Now here is where it get's confusing for me. We'll start with the company in New York. They ship items for me that weigh anywhere from 1 pound to 56+ pounds. Again, they use UPS ground. What I figured out I could do, just for this company, would be to set up a shipper (I.e. UPS Ground - (state)) for each state, and inside there, specify from 1 - 2 pounds, 2.01 - 3 pounds, 3.01 - 4 pounds ...etc, all the way up to 60 pounds. That is an almost impossible task :( I did it JUST for california (the furthest from NY) by going to ups.com and getting shipping quotes for all 60 different weights.

I don't want to have to do this for 48 states.

Besides, I am running into another problem then because I have the other company in California that is almost the same, shipping to 48 states, but exact opposite of the first company.

So you see, this is driving me buggy.

From New York to LA, a 40 pound package would be roughly 56.00 to ship, whereas the same package to Michigan is only 24.00 to ship. From LA to NY, again, about 56.00, but from LA to Michigan, 36.00.

So, I'm going crazy. I really do NOT want to be unprofessional and tell customers that I will email them with a shipping price. I'd like it somehow calculated in for me. I tried downloading and installing the UPS module that is on these forums, but it's back from 1.1 and I'm using the latest stable version (1.25?) and when I install it, my cart no longer shows any items in it.

Please, if you have ANY suggestions as to how I should go about setting up my shipping from both companies, I'm all ears. Even if I could set up individual item shipping costs, I'd still have to set up 48 of them, one for each state, and that would still be a rough guess, as I simply pick a random zip code from that state to get the quote from UPS.com.

I'm all ears and hoping someone will come through for me and tell me how to fix this. I need to get my shop fully online in the next day or two, max.

Thank you!!

you need to get the module built for your shop. if interested, you can hire me. [email protected]

Unfortunately, my shop is just starting. If I could afford to pay, I wouldn't be using a free shopping cart :(

I would think it would be something simple like: If manufacturer = XXX use carrier: UPS GROUND from California OR if Manufacturer = YYY use carrier: UPS GROUND from New York and then just make 2 tables.

The problem is, I have no idea where I would put any of that. I'd love to be able to afford someone to do it for me, but since I cannot, perhaps someone on here could point me in the right direction at least, such as which files I may need to edit to do that...

One more issue I am facing (and this is more serious than anything) is that I need to be able to have the shipping be calculated as a separate box for each item.

In other words, if I have 2 items in the shopping cart, both weighing 9 pounds, I can't have it calculate the price for an 18 pound package, instead, I need it to find the right price for 2 packages, each weighing 9 pounds.

The major difference here is that UPS charges per package, not per order, so if it is $13.58 for a 9 pound box, and $18.22 for an 18 pound box, I will be losing $8.94 because I will have to pay $27.16 (2 x 13.58) and the module is calculating it as 18.22.

hi! I understand your problem. But you need to invest for a business. If it were so simple, there would be hundreds of them available already. People give free modules mostly when it's obsolete.

It will at least take 3days to build such a module with perfection. I cannot afford to build that for free, I live by developing software. I provide my free modules and fixes here. You can sign up for the newsletter.

http://www.icodebd.com/category/cms/prestashop/

Thanks.

hi! I understand your problem. But you need to invest for a business. If it were so simple, there would be hundreds of them available already. People give free modules mostly when it's obsolete.

It will at least take 3days to build such a module with perfection. I cannot afford to build that for free, I live by developing software. I provide my free modules and fixes here. You can sign up for the newsletter.

http://www.icodebd.com/category/cms/prestashop/

Thanks.

Believe me, I understand. I'm a web designer by trade, but I'm not so great with PHP otherwise I'd do it myself. I know how hard things can be. I do have to disagree a bit though. Perhaps it is the case for THIS piece of software, but if you look around the net, there are many MANY different open source projects that have hundreds of people offering mods and upgrades and such without asking for a penny, mostly because they enjoy it and it's something many people can use.

To clarify, I'm not putting you down, nor am I saying you asking for money is wrong. I can understand the need to make a living as much as the next guy. That's why I asked if anyone else may be interested in helping out with this.

I finally got the UPS module to work, but I'm running into another issue, because it doesn't add the shipping for separate packages. Only total weight, so now I just need to figure out how to make it look up the price for each package and add them all together, if there's more than one item in the cart, that is.

Thanks for the reply and don't think poorly of me !

hi!

Noh I dont. I know about open source projects. I do work for them occasionally, too. But they are goal oriented. Like I am building my site with high level lessons and free staff made by me. From my position, I give free what I am best in, teaching how to build things. Building things myself is really a waste of my knowledge and time. So far almost 90% of my contribution in prestashop is totally free. So don't get me wrong either :D

Even if I get paid to make such a module, I would deliver it free later to others. That's what I did with all my staff. I could resell them if I wanted.

As your UPS module works now. Can you check if it calculates the shipping charges separately by creating each product as a package of a product? If it does work, then your problem is solved. If not then you need the module or the cart itself to be modified. Either will work

See yah