Prestashop version numbers

rasmusb

I'm building a module and need to come up with a strategy for testing on different prestashop versions. I obviously will not be able to test my module with every minor release, and I am wondering if there is any logic in the prestashop version numbers?

For example, it is common only to introduce breaking changes with major releases (e.g. when going from 1.x.x.x to 2.0.0.0). Is this the case with prestashop as well? Is there any relationship between version numbers and changes to the data model, new features, bug fixes, etc?

the data model changes in almost every minor release

In my experience with PS, I have seen no rhyme or reason to their versioning system, nor have I seen an explanation of how they determine it, other than they use the second number for MAJOR version changes (ie.  v1.4, v1.5, v1.6)

Yes, but is there a method to the way version numbers are used with prestashop?

For example, if minor updates (such as x.x.x.y -> x.x.x.z) never introduce changes in the data model, that would be very useful to know.  

I don't think so. Look at /install/upgrade/sql files.

the data model changes in almost every minor release

In my experience with PS, I have seen no rhyme or reason to their versioning system, nor have I seen an explanation of how they determine it, other than they use the second number for MAJOR version changes (ie.  v1.4, v1.5, v1.6)

The logic is simple x.y.z :

- few changes -> increment Z

- lot of changes -> increment Y

The X number will never change, or maybe in some years.

Regards,