PillBox - what is necessary

mjochinsen

Hi guys,

I have a new business and I am trying to figure out what I need.

- It will sell pillboxes of prescriptions and refills.

- The customer initially bought a pillbox in the past.

- Each pillbox compartment/slot in the box has its own barcode number.

- When a prescription/slot is running low the customer can order a refill by entering the barcode # (let's not bother now with the scanning app and integration)

- In the website, the shopping cart looks like a pillbox.

- The customer can check a slot that he/she wants to refill, or by using the barcode it will redirect to it and fill the appropriate field.

What do I need?

A module? plugin? Script?

Custom?

How difficult?

What are the keywors to  create and add for the job (Craigslist/Elance)?

I have a decent knowledge of html, programming languages, etc.

But I am a not familiar with the ecommerce/web development jargon.

The website will be hosted at InMotion using Prestashop.

Database of prescriptions/medicine is small (30 items)

Time frame to develop about 2 months

Budget available for the whole website/ecommerce solution about $2k

Thank you for helping

post-996676-0-83272600-1429983138_thumb.jpg

No problem. You can sell any product, (and also make through attributes different 'versions' of it if needed, like different box size/amount of capsules, different strength of medicine, color, flavor etc.)

This means you probably need to import some customer history? Where does the data come from? Prestashop has a csv import for products, categories, customers, addresses, etc. No Orders, I believe, so that would be some custom job.

You can give each product a upc or ean13 code, which should probably work. Otherwise you could add it as feature or so. There is not by default a barcode generator/display, so that would be custom work.

- When a prescription/slot is running low the customer can order a refill by entering the barcode # (let's not bother now with the scanning app and integration)

You could search for the barcode in the search field, for example.

Do you mean the display of (all) products, like your image, where the customer can choose which product(s) it wants to buy?

In PrestaShop, the category list (also known as product list) displays the products a customer can buy, the shopping cart displays/holds the products the customer already selected to buy. Please elaborate which one you mean.

With some css, you can change the default display of products. You can put them together without gap, hide info you don't need etc. Do you mean like in the image?

- The customer can check a slot that he/she wants to refill, or by using the barcode it will redirect to it and fill the appropriate field.

By default, you add products one by one to the shopping cart. To do a pre-select and then add in one time is custom work. Barcode selection as well.

What do I need?

A Nice theme to start with, I think. You can either adjust the default one, or buy some nice one that comes close to what you have in mind and then modify to your needs.

For barcode reading/generation you may need some module, if they exist. Otherwise tis will be custom work. For pre-selection, you may need some javascript to handle the selection and then add them to the cart in one time. Maybe also some custom work at the submit side (php).

Custom?

The barcode, the pill box shape, pre-selection of products and then add in one time is custom work. Also using the history to see what the customer can buy may be custom work. 

How difficult?

To all do yourself, you mean? Building a module may have some learning curve. I assume you know php/smarty/css/jquery, otherwise this will add to the time. Modifying a theme doesn't have to take too much, if you find one that already comes close. Otherwise it depends how much you want to change of course.

The import of orders may be somewhat challenging, as you need to know the database structure. Is this a one time import?

The knowledge of a customer's history may be a challenge, as you need to get it out of the database and mine through it.

What are the keywords to  create and add for the job (Craigslist/Elance)?

Not sure I understand this question. Do you want to find someone to do this for you? You can post it on the appropriate subforum, where you can announce paid work.

Hope this helps. If you want to do it yourself, please feel free to ask focused questions here at the forum :-)

Succes!

pascal.
  • Like 1

Thank you for the response PascalIVG,

I agree with all your comments.

Not sure I understand this question. Do you want to find someone to do this for you? You can post it on the appropriate subforum, where you can announce paid work.

I should have typed "skill" not keyworks

I definitely won't do it myself :-)

My goal with this thread is to educate myself a little better before I go out hiring the person or company to build the website.

At this point, I am not sure what skills I should look for.

I think you answered most my concerns here:

"For pre-selection, you may need some javascript to handle the selection and then add them to the cart in one time. Maybe also some custom work at the submit side (php)."

Thanks again

No problem. You can sell any product, (and also make through attributes different 'versions' of it if needed, like different box size/amount of capsules, different strength of medicine, color, flavor etc.)

This means you probably need to import some customer history? Where does the data come from? Prestashop has a csv import for products, categories, customers, addresses, etc. No Orders, I believe, so that would be some custom job.

You can give each product a upc or ean13 code, which should probably work. Otherwise you could add it as feature or so. There is not by default a barcode generator/display, so that would be custom work.

You could search for the barcode in the search field, for example.

Do you mean the display of (all) products, like your image, where the customer can choose which product(s) it wants to buy?

In PrestaShop, the category list (also known as product list) displays the products a customer can buy, the shopping cart displays/holds the products the customer already selected to buy. Please elaborate which one you mean.

With some css, you can change the default display of products. You can put them together without gap, hide info you don't need etc. Do you mean like in the image?

By default, you add products one by one to the shopping cart. To do a pre-select and then add in one time is custom work. Barcode selection as well.

What do I need?

A Nice theme to start with, I think. You can either adjust the default one, or buy some nice one that comes close to what you have in mind and then modify to your needs.

For barcode reading/generation you may need some module, if they exist. Otherwise tis will be custom work. For pre-selection, you may need some javascript to handle the selection and then add them to the cart in one time. Maybe also some custom work at the submit side (php).

Custom?

The barcode, the pill box shape, pre-selection of products and then add in one time is custom work. Also using the history to see what the customer can buy may be custom work. 

How difficult?

To all do yourself, you mean? Building a module may have some learning curve. I assume you know php/smarty/css/jquery, otherwise this will add to the time. Modifying a theme doesn't have to take too much, if you find one that already comes close. Otherwise it depends how much you want to change of course.

The import of orders may be somewhat challenging, as you need to know the database structure. Is this a one time import?

The knowledge of a customer's history may be a challenge, as you need to get it out of the database and mine through it.

Hope this helps. If you want to do it yourself, please feel free to ask focused questions here at the forum :-)
Succes!

pascal.

Hi Mauricio,

Basic skills needed are general php, smarty, css, jquery.

I would go for someone who knows PrestaShop, as there is a lot of interaction with the existing shop, database etc. Knowing your way in the code seriously helps to do this much quicker.

You are right that the multi-selection and add to cart is a harder point, as well as the few points I wrote at the "How difficult" header.

I would try to first find someone in the Paid work sub forum.

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/forum/235-job-offers/

pascal.

P.S. I sometimes pick up work like this, but not sure if I have time, as I see you need it soon.