voucher codes for specific categories

I am trying to make a coupon code that would apply to certain categories only.  In testing the coupon, this happens:

If I add to my cart a single item from a category that I don't want to discount, the code does not allow that single item to be discounted.

If I add a product from a category that is OK to discount, (there are now 2 items in the cart, one that is OK to discount, one that is not) then all products become discounted - including the item mentioned above.

How can I insure that only the categories I want to discount with appear accurately at check-out?

Must I also specify products as well as categories?

Is there a tutorial on how to do this?

Thanks for your help,

Mary

Hi Mary,

Trick is on the Actions tab:

See the three pics below, with their comment. Hope they are self explanatory.

In short:

On Conditions tab

- choose 'Product selection'

- Choose 'categories' from drop down list, Press 'Add'

- Choose category/-ries that should get the discount

-On Action tab:

- Choose Percentage (Don't know exactly why, but PrestaTeam didn't bother to implement it for fixed discount amounts. Probably because product price could be lower than the discount itself or so...

Then the trick:

- on Action tab, choose 'selected products'. This means, any product that 'fits the rule' will get the discount. Name is a little ambiguous...

post-455771-0-31523000-1429409794_thumb.png

post-455771-0-58507500-1429409842_thumb.png

post-455771-0-62480500-1429409868_thumb.png

Result:

post-455771-0-74291900-1429409904_thumb.png

Hope this helps,

pascal

• Like 1

Thank you - what I am understanding is that first you decide the categories, then the products?  We have about 4000 products, so to select the products will be somewhat tedious.  Can I edit and re-edit that particular coupon to use at various times?  In other words can I change the coupon and reuse it?

Thank you.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Sorry for slow reply. Was a little busy.

No, no need to select individual products. Just select the category the products are in and that will do. Then on the action tab select 'Selected products' (Which actually means, "those products that are in the chosen category" in our case)

Give it a try. Let me know,

pascal.

Hi - I have been busy too, thus took me awhile to get back to this project.  Yes this worked.  Thank you.  We have many categories and subcategories.  The subcategories of the main have the same title - ex:  Composer - worship/wedding - we have many composers with the sub category of worship and wedding.  So for the particular composer whose works are on sale, I had to put db (composer's initials) in front of the sub to distinguish it from all the others, then I could add them. That may not make sense, but I was able to work around it. Thanks so much.  Mary

• 1 year later...