Shipping by dimensions (1.6)

You cannot specify a range for the dimensions however you can restrict a carrier allocation by max dimension (Shipping > Carriers > [carrier] > Size, weight and group access).

So you could setup a few carriers for small, medium, large sizes etc. Each product would have to specify dimensions too (Catalog > Products > [product] > Shipping).

This of course opens up a can of worms with multiple category shipments. There are some modules (no experience with it) that may achieve what you want. Or one could be built to your exact specification; make a post at Job Offers if you don't find any existing module satisfactory.

Ok no problem I'll have a think and maybe work it out with weight somehow. I could make my own dimensional weight settings an apply that to the actual weight of the product 

I think which ever way I setup my shop I will loose money in shipping

• 1 year later...

No I never solved it. I found couriers change their prices too often, without a live link it'll never be accurate.

I have setup shipping prices for UK only. Anyone outside of the UK I create a new shop product, listing their puchases and including shipping. Its not ideal but it works.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

this is a really vague way of estimating freight.  for example, a car battery might fit in a 12x12x12in box (.30x.30x.30m) and weigh 20lbs.  fill the same box with foam batting (for pillows etc) and it might only weigh 1lb.  to just base shipping charges on a volumetric scale would definitely lose money or price yourself out of the market.