Multiple Languages and Language Dialects?

Hi 

I am new to prestashop but I have found the language/country setup confusing.

For instance, for Belgium we need to show either Belgian French [fr-BR] or Belgian Dutch [nl-BE], for the same site, the same catalogue, the same pricing, same everything else, just the two different languages spoken within that country.

Also, as we do sportswear, we need two different English language dialects, en-US and en-GB, for 'soccer' and 'football' respectively, for the North American and UK stores. 

When I tried to create en-GB as a new language and used the en language ISO code I get a warning claiming I had already used it for en-US.

"This ISO code is already linked to another language"

This seems to indicate that we can only have a single language tied to a single ISO locale. So we cannot have language dialects. [nl-NL and nl-BE are also different dialects]

Could you please enlighten me as to how we can implement the above two use cases?
One country site using two different languages, and two language dialects using the same 2 letter language ISO.

Thanks

Martin Graney

I have played around with this and there is issue when en-us/en-uk that required a small hack to support.  I think this is only issue for en-us/en-uk.  Note: the correct iso code for each would be US and UK respectively.

for all other languages I did not have issue the key is to use second part of IETF code, i.e. ps language code fr-br has iso code of 'br'.  I actually wrote a module to support full IETF, Advanced IETF Language Detect.  I added to this module support of setting currency as well.

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I am new to prestashop but I have found the language/country setup confusing.

For instance, for Belgium we need to show either Belgian French [fr-BR] or Belgian Dutch [nl-BE], for the same site, the same catalogue, the same pricing, same everything else, just the two different languages spoken within that country.

Also, as we do sportswear, we need two different English language dialects, en-US and en-GB, for 'soccer' and 'football' respectively, for the North American and UK stores. 

When I tried to create en-GB as a new language and used the en language ISO code I get a warning claiming I had already used it for en-US.

"This ISO code is already linked to another language"

This seems to indicate that we can only have a single language tied to a single ISO locale. So we cannot have language dialects. [nl-NL and nl-BE are also different dialects]

Could you please enlighten me as to how we can implement the above two use cases?

One country site using two different languages, and two language dialects using the same 2 letter language ISO.

Thanks

Martin Graney

Did you find a solutio? I am facing the same problem for my Belgian shop.

Thanks!

Did you find a solution?

I am facing the same problem for my Belgian shop.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

https://www.prestaheroes.com/en-us/prestashop-geo-localization-solutions/prestashop-module-seo-friendly-language-url-pro

We build this think 'they' would come...but apparently we are to far ahead of PS eco curve or we suck at marketing....probably both.

This module is also compatible with google sitemap module, google loves it..

remember this is for targeting by country (SE0), lang-(country)......where country works like a ccTLD, from an SEO perspective.

In near future we will upgrade so that for example you have 'a' en  en-us language defined, with our Geo  Targeting Pro module if for example when UK or CA, we would switch en-us to en-uk en-ca for example...sitemap then would have 3 urls en-us, en-uk,en-ca....same for fr es etc.

this replaces need for a multishop solution where your goal is to multiple shop content using domain names gTLD/ccTLD's.

to understand how building SEO by lang/country (specifically country)...see azure.com maybe you heard  of it. :)

el