Speed and SEO

djpat99

Hello and sorry for posting about a topic that may have been covered but I feel I have looked everywhere and can't seem to improve my site. 

The problem is the load time. I know Google are using site speed as a ranking signal and I am trying to speed up my site. It has always been slow to load (4.5 seconds average) but most of the suggestions by Google PageSpeed Insights page should be covered in the Performance tab of the back office. 

For example - Google suggests to Minify HTML, but doesn't the back office show an option to turn this off and on in Performance? I have it on but Google says it isn't, or if it is, it isn't "minified" enough. 

Also why doesn't it seem to compress home page pictures? I have tried making the file size smaller but it is still under optimised. 

I realise the server response time is slow too so I am looking for dedicated hosting in the hope that this will be better than what I am using now. 

I have included the below for reference. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. 

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. 

60 / 100Speed
Should Fix:
Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Your page has 3 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.
Optimize CSS Delivery of the following:
Hide details
Reduce server response time

In our test, your server responded in 1.5 seconds. There are many factors that can slow down your server response time.Please read our recommendations to learn how you can monitor and measure where your server is spending the most time.
Hide details
Optimize images
Properly formatting and compressing images can save many bytes of data.
Optimize the following images to reduce their size by 127.3KiB (94% reduction).
  • Compressing and resizing http://gamer-tech.co.uk/…img/a551f9a5a5aa9a0792e3c2a665678760.jpg could save 95.3KiB (98% reduction).
  • Compressing and resizing http://gamer-tech.co.uk/…833292e5004c7673dda202f_fast-service.jpg could save 16.5KiB (82% reduction).
  • Compressing and resizing http://gamer-tech.co.uk/…9808fdb7a3137607a5_business-services.jpg could save 15.4KiB (84% reduction).
Hide details
Consider Fixing:
Enable compression
Compressing resources with gzip or deflate can reduce the number of bytes sent over the network.
Enable compression for the following resources to reduce their transfer size by 85.8KiB (87% reduction).
Hide details
Leverage browser caching
Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
Hide details
Minify HTML
Compacting HTML code, including any inline JavaScript and CSS contained in it, can save many bytes of data and speed up download and parse times.
Minify HTML for the following resources to reduce their size by 2.2KiB (3% reduction).
Hide details
Minify JavaScript
Compacting JavaScript code can save many bytes of data and speed up downloading, parsing, and execution time.
Minify JavaScript for the following resources to reduce their size by 1.8KiB (2% reduction).
Hide details
3 Passed RulesShow details
Download optimized image, JavaScript, and CSS resources for this page.
99 / 100User Experience
Consider Fixing:
Size tap targets appropriatelyShow how to fix
4 Passed RulesShow details

For example - Google suggests to Minify HTML, but doesn't the back office show an option to turn this off and on in Performance? I have it on but Google says it isn't, or if it is, it isn't "minified" enough. 

This option is available : compress HTML

Google say that because you can minify more but Prestashop chose to keep correct HTML. Some more compression can be done but it breaks HTML standards even if it works on most browsers.

Also why doesn't it seem to compress home page pictures? I have tried making the file size smaller but it is still under optimised. 

Optimising images cannot be done with PHP only that's why it's not provided (I guess). But you can find some free modules that are using Smush.it service provided by Yahoo, this will optimize your images but Google will tell you that you can still save 2 or 3% (better than 95% anyway)...

I realise the server response time is slow too so I am looking for dedicated hosting in the hope that this will be better than what I am using now. 

You can enable profiling to see where your site is slow. You can also use code cache (APC) or HTML cache module like PageCache (my module).

The theme is also very important; I advise you to take a theme that claims to be fast and/or SEO dedicated.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your answer and pointing out exactly what can be done. I shall take a look at your module now as well as the other suggestions. 

Thank you

Just out of curiosity, the free modules for image optimisation you mentioned, do you know any of the names? I've been looking through the Prestashop module list but cant find anything. I've looked at your module too and when our budget allows it (probably next week now) I will be looking to purchase it. 

Edited by djpat99 (see edit history)

Just out of curiosity, the free modules for image optimisation you mentioned, do you know any of the names? I've been looking through the Prestashop module list but cant find anything. I've looked at your module too and when our budget allows it (probably next week now) I will be looking to purchase it. 

Sorry I thought it was free but it's 30€, this was this one: http://www.presteamshop.com/en/modules-prestashop/smush-optimize-image.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

gzip compression of the webpage feature available in php installation helps to increase web page load time.

This information can be found using phpinfo function call ,which will show php.ini file settings as well.

PrestaShop Tutorials Videos [How to do Tasks]

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/907438-prestashop-tutorials-videos-how-to-do-tasks/

Edited by Zohaib-fk
Post Updated (see edit history)