Is PS1.6.0.13 production ready?

Hi, 

During the tests I've done for the past days, personally I found it meets my requirements after the modification done to the code by myself, through the previous research from the forum. 

Started to play with PS from 1.5 and we know PS1.5.6.2 is stable and of less bug, then with the introduction of PS1.6, the improvement of front office is brilliant. While during the tests of previous versions, I always have problems until the latest 1.6.0.13. 

As we see over here that all the PS1.6 versions are beta versions, my question will be that if PS1.6.0.13 good for live site or do we have to wait for PS1.6.1.*

Any feedback from you will be appreciated. 

Kent

Well, I've been playing with Prestashop 1.6 since the early versions, and so far IMHO the best version is 1.6.0.9 considering its stability and performance.

1.6.0.11, 1.6.0.12 and 1.6.0.13 have been reported to be unstable, and thus I would recommend to wait for the next release. In github you can see that the developers are working really hard to get a stable version on the next release, also.

Well, I've been playing with Prestashop 1.6 since the early versions, and so far IMHO the best version is 1.6.0.9 considering its stability and performance.

1.6.0.11, 1.6.0.12 and 1.6.0.13 have been reported to be unstable, and thus I would recommend to wait for the next release. In github you can see that the developers are working really hard to get a stable version on the next release, also.

Thank you for your comment!

I was playing with 1.6.0.9 as well, but the site get crashed after implementing a code modification somewhere for the back office. Problem is that I've got no knowledge of coding, and just follow the posts in the forum. After that I gave up on that version. 

There are posts in the forum saying that to wait till 1.6.1 which hopefully will be stable. Again, we never know how soon the 1.6 stable version will be ready.  

Anyway, I am still playing with 1.6.0.13 on my localhost as well as live server these day, good thing is that I did not experience much problem with it. Most likely it's because I am not a coder, so I am unable to locate the bugs. 

Regards!

Kent

• Like 1

We are at the moment also on 1.6.0.11. It has bugs, but some people make a drama here. I don't see any serious reason why 1.6.0.9 should be the better version. If I remember correctly in 1.6.0.9 is still the tax problem. So I really don't understand why this version should be better. I never used 1.4 or 1.5 Prestashop so I can't compare. 

But Folks you can forget that you will ever have a version without bugs. Especially when you pay as much as you do for prestashop. From my opinion Prestashop 1.6.0.11 has it strenghts and it weaknesses. If it's production ready depends on your needs. 

Our store for example has still problem with bundle. This is for us also not fixed in 1.6.0.13. But this problem we would also have with older Version. 

What is production ready? It depends, to my mind. Every software has bugs. You can cut off some parts or modules and be happy with 1.6.0.11 like me (1 patch).

As shown in the forum, PS1.6 are all beta versions. Software of beta versions are not supposed to be for production. 

This is why I get confused about this. 

I totally agree with what you said,

1. what we want to implement,

2. every software has bugs,

I'm hoping to get some confirmation that PS1.6 can be stable enough for production, 

We are at the moment also on 1.6.0.11. It has bugs, but some people make a drama here. I don't see any serious reason why 1.6.0.9 should be the better version. If I remember correctly in 1.6.0.9 is still the tax problem. So I really don't understand why this version should be better. I never used 1.4 or 1.5 Prestashop so I can't compare. 

But Folks you can forget that you will ever have a version without bugs. Especially when you pay as much as you do for prestashop. From my opinion Prestashop 1.6.0.11 has it strenghts and it weaknesses. If it's production ready depends on your needs. 

Our store for example has still problem with bundle. This is for us also not fixed in 1.6.0.13. But this problem we would also have with older Version. 

Are you using PS1.6.0.11 for a live site?

Agreed with your points about personal needs and bugs. That's why I am here to ask opinions from others.

Thanks

As shown in the forum, PS1.6 are all beta versions. Software of beta versions are not supposed to be for production. 

They are beta until they are released.  If you were to ask Prestashop, they would tell you that since .13 was released, it is now stable and production ready. 

However you should decide that for yourself after installing the software, and executing a series of testing to ensure it works as you expect.  That would include performance testing.  What works for 1 merchant, does not work for other merchants.  Keep that in mind.

• Like 1

They are beta until they are released.  If you were to ask Prestashop, they would tell you that since .13 was released, it is now stable and production ready. 

However you should decide that for yourself after installing the software, and executing a series of testing to ensure it works as you expect.  That would include performance testing.  What works for 1 merchant, does not work for other merchants.  Keep that in mind.

Thanks for your comments!,

Ok, that's how they put beta there? I thought all the PS1.6 are just beta versions! My mistake. 

Just like what you said, what works for 1 merchant does not necessarily work for others. And that's the main reason I am here to ask if 1.6.0.13 is good for production. 

As for performance, I am fine with it because I am not targeting a large number of users. What concerns me more is the stability, I guess. 

As long as it can run in a stable manner, I would be happy. 

Kent

Are you using PS1.6.0.11 for a live site?

Agreed with your points about personal needs and bugs. That's why I am here to ask opinions from others.

Thanks

Yes I am using it as a live shop. Do you have a 1.6 Version intalled? Just try it out. When I read your posts, I get the impression that you think wrong about the bugs. Prestashop 1.6.0.11 works fine for the customer. But there can happen some bugs (mainly in backoffice). For example some statistics are wrong. Or Google Analytics gets wrong Data. Once I remember a problem of the price Slider in FrontOffice. But Bugs doesn't mean your site is crashing or something like this. For the customer I really don't see any problems on my site. Ok to be honest I made my own theme...

You can check out my site if you want: www.chesspoint.ch

Just like what you said, what works for 1 merchant does not necessarily work for others. And that's the main reason I am here to ask if 1.6.0.13 is good for production. 

Again, that is for you to decide.  You should install it, execute your testing and confirm it is production ready for you.  If there is a defect with multi-store, but you do not use multi-store, then you might not care.  If Prestashop runs poorly with 20,000 products and 10,000 categories, but you only need 100 of each, then again it should not matter for you. 

It is all relative, which is why I said "what works for 1 merchant does not necessarily work for others"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, i think Presta is not production ready in multistore. Some of the most annoying bugs:

- search indexing does not work, and removes all search results for the shops

- layered navigation indexing does not work and removes the attribute filters for the shops

- issues with incomplete sitemaps (not good for seo)

- product comments are for all shops instead of the shop the comment was made in

- not all descriptions are editable per shop (leading to duplicate content)

Many not-native modules do not support multistore either.

Of course, of you don't care about  these bugs, it works fine :)

• Like 1

Well, i think Presta is not production ready in multistore. Some of the most annoying bugs:

- search indexing does not work, and removes all search results for the shops

- layered navigation indexing does not work and removes the attribute filters for the shops

- issues with incomplete sitemaps (not good for seo)

- product comments are for all shops instead of the shop the comment was made in

- not all descriptions are editable per shop (leading to duplicate content)

Many not-native modules do not support multistore either.

Of course, of you don't care about  these bugs, it works fine :)

I didnt notice the problem you have with multishop. But we have got different issues. I reported here 3 weeks ago: http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCSX-5046?filter=-2

But didn't get any answer yet.

From my point of view Multistore is a great feature but prestashop doesn't take enough care of it. They always tell how good this feature is but even easy modules are buggy. Some days ago I noticed that not even cms links for footer are working in multishop.

Last days they closed so many forges, but I am not so sure if they are resolved :S

But what I dont understand: Do you really believe 1.5 works better? Are there less bugs? We can live with 1.6 and just hope that with new updates bugs are removed :)

Edited by wakabayashi (see edit history)