re-create old Database in new installed shop?

It seems that noone have seen or have had the problem i stated in this post.

So i now want to try something else. Can i delete my whole shop, reinstall with same database and by that still have all my products, customers etc, or will i have to start over with my products and all customers have to re-do their accounts?
If that wont work, can i by some way backup my database to later after reinstall put it back and by that have saved all my registers?

Or do you have any better idea?

Best regards
Peter

Ok im going crazy here.
I think i have tried many times now to install new and import, upgrade and import but it wont be a working result.
As best i can see the custommers, orders, and most products. but categories, names etc is gone.
I probably do something wrong. last i tried upgrade with old database stil active i had like 1500sql errors in the last upgrade page.
Is there a right way to do this?
I really dont wanna loose all customers, orders etc,, products, sure i can re-enter them, but i dont want custommers to not be able to log in or not be able to find there old orders.

Is there not anyone else that have had this problem before?

Thanks for your time.
Best regards
Peter

What is your original version?

Before you proceed , make sure you backup your database and settings.inc.php
Try following the following steps by Diamond204] It works for me upgrading from 1.1 to 1.3SVN. If there is any sql error shown during upgrading, view the log file generated...you may need this to solve the error later. It works for me when I upgraded from 1.1 to SVN1.3 . One more thing is if your FO appear broken, you have your friendly URL turned on at BO...just turn it off for the meantime to check that yr site is functional. You can reconfigure yr Friendly URL again by regeneration the .htaccess file later.

Hello,
I wanted to post this as several important steps are missing from the Prestashop Upgrade wiki instructions.

HOW TO UPDATE PRESTASHOP
First off, as stated in the Wiki instructions, it is 100% mission critical that you backup 1) Your Database, and 2) your entire shop to your computer.

1.) To backup the database, click on the TOOLS tab, then DATABASE BACKUP. Click on “+ CREATE NEW BACK-UP” then click on “DOWNLOAD THE BACKUP FILE” – save to your computer.
2.) Backup your full shop by either downloading it via FTP or use another method. Also be sure to download it to your computer.

Using an FTP program, RENAME your existing shop folder to a new folder (ex. Rename /shop to /shopOLD
This is also clearly stated in the Prestashop install and upgrade wiki.
One recommendation not in the WIKI- when you copy parts of your old shop to the new install, copy the files from the backup on YOUR COMPUTER - do not copy the files on the backup directory on your server. Why? Because many FTP programs do not truly offer a copy feature - they can only move the files. DO NOT RISK THIS. Always copy from your computer backup!

Now that you know this, follow the full set of upgrade instructions listed on the wiki:
http://www.prestashop.com/wiki/Installing_And_Updating_PrestaShop_Software/

The wiki leaves off at the Install process…and where this will continue…

On the first Installation screen where it asks you if you want to perform a full installation or an update installation, choose UPDATE (disregard “Get the latest stable version” – no re-download will occur).
Note: If the Update option is greyed out or unavailable , you will need to re-upload your old “settings.inc.php” file from your backups /config directory and overwrite the new version on your server – then re-install – it should now be available.
You will need to Certify that you have everything backed up- click NEXT on the permissions screen.

NOTE TO SAVE TIME AND TROUBLE : Do NOT perform the FULL installation, then try to connect with your database - when you move up to a newer version your database must be CONVERTED - and that is exactly what the UPDATE process does! :-)

You are done with the basic upgrade!

Back Office: Do the icons display correctly on the tabs? If not, you will need to re-upload the icons from your new version of Prestashop found in /img/t into the same folder of your new updated online version.

Does your theme display ok? If not it is likely that you have modified files from the root directory such as header.tpl or footer.tpl. This will most likely break your theme with a new version of Prestashop.
Experiment by creating a new folder called TEST in your online THEMES folder, and copy your existing theme to it. Upload files from the default template in the new version (from your hard drive) Begin with header.tpl, then footer.tpl and overwrite their counterparts in the new folder you just created.
In the PREFERENCES tab, select TEST as your theme and then view it in your Front Office. Does it display properly? If yes, then you have found the culprit files. You will need to re-modify the new versions of the files. If the shop does not display properly, continue to copy more files from the default shop to the TEST directory until you find which file(s) are causing the issue.

Hope this helps all to upgrade much easier in this community!

Hello.

The version im uploading from is 1.1.50 and i´m updating to 1.2.5.0

I can see in the text you posted that a new install and then re-create database is not a good thing.
But i have also tried to down to the dot according to these guides, and i still do get error messages, i have posted them here for you to see.
Maybe anyone can read the error report and tell me what i can do to fix it? If it can be fixed?

EDIT: hmm cant attach my .rtf document, but if folloving this link u can get it.
http://www.lindbergers.com/pix/116-sql-errors.rtf

EDIT2: Yeah i forgot to mention. after my update, the frontoffice (the shop) is no longer vissible.
I just get a blank page, no error messages, no 404, just a blank page.

Thank you
Best regards.
Peter

17692_wBA2FTxCw3mrpxTIzuju_t

Ok, i will try to explain what has been done.

First, i will just say that i dont really understand what that error report says, but you say its about duplicats?

This is what ive done.
I took a backup at the 2010-01-05 of the whole store, by ftp it down to my desktop. i allso at same time exported the dtabase from the backoffice and saved it on my desktop.
When i found the website not working i went to myphpadmin and i droped the whole db so its empty. then i imported back again from the file ive downloaded from backoffice. then i try to UPDATE, but its a NoGo. i redo the phpmyadmin routine and this time i try to NEW INSTALL, but then it just creates a new database prefix, so that wont work. i have allso tried to update and then import back the database in my phpmyadmin, and allso done the same with a new install. None of this has worked.

Now the last time wich i have posted here, i tried with an update again with my backed up database imported back in phpmyadmin.

But i just realize while writing this that this last try i might done wrong. i just used same directorys one more time to update, mean i putted back the deleted install directory and copied back the old setings.inc.php, but that might not have been smart since it was allready updated.

i have a backup of the db, i have the images, and i have the whole store backed up, but cant get it to work.

I don't really know what happened.
But on Friday last week i got two different emails from customers saying they cant order from the website.
They click on button "add to cart" and the animation moves towards the cart. But the cart remains empty, nothing inside.
Though, on the top of the site, it says you have 1x items in cart, value 0:-sek (Swedish currency)
So it has recognised a click to the cart, but wont keep it in cart or something like that.

I have lately not used the store for a while due to personal matters, and was gonna start now again on the new year.
U have tried a few themes, but allways gone back to my usuall that allways worked.
i allso a few weeks ago tried to upgrade from 1150 to 1250, but i aborted when i came to the database settings, didnt wanna risk the database since i had not yet taken a backup so i aborted. I never noticed that it didnt worked after that, but i had not yet advertised then and did not have customers. last week i advertised and they started to show up, but they said they couldnt order.

Here is my original post of that problem. http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/41517/help_configuration___use/cart_is_empty_after_adding_products_to_it___hack_atempt

Hi Peter,

I think usually even with sql error, you should some how able to access to your shop....probably with errors. I tried log on to http://www.lindbergers.com/ws but was blank screen. weird.

Are you able to try installing at local server to check if it is not due to the software ?!

Sorry didn't help much....hope some expert forummer could look and contribute.

Thanx Mike

As i said in my post ALL HELP is grateful.
So your posts have been helpful in the way where you help me think about things i have yet not tested and so on. Very nice of you.

I have now managed to get a bit further. I remembered i had a backup-copy of my store on another domain i own, i putted it there mainly to try out a theme i was working on its design. Just so i could work on it without risking my main shop get ugly when customers are browsing it. :-)

So i once again emptied my whole database for my store, the DB is now totally empty. I upgraded to 1.2.5.0 on my other domain, all things worked.
I then exported the DB in my phpmyadmin, and i imported it in same way to my stores DB.
THEN i copied every single Prestashop file from my other domain to my stores domain. And now everything seems to work. BUT its not same path to store, on the other domain it was called, http://mydomain.com/testxxx/ So now on my store domain its called the same. But i need to change it back to http:/mydomain.com/ws (ws=webshop) because most ads, other links etc points to that address.
But i think i can change it to that address by changing the path on certain places.
Also it lacked last weeks added products, and it lacked all my special modules since they never come straight from the install. But that should be easy enough to fix.

What you think, should be OK now, or have i missed some important part that might ruin it for me?

Thanks for your time.
Best regards
Peter