VAT according to "delivery address" not added to shopping cart

frankpulido

Hello everybody,

All EU based companies have the same issue : we should apply VAT according to the "delivery address" of the customer. I do not sell B2B, by the way, so VAT should be charged always within EU destinations.

To destinations outside the EU, we do not charge VAT.

I have this settings in Localization/Taxes (Prestashop 1.6.0.9) :

Enable Tax : Yes

Display Tax in Shopping Cart : Yes

Based On : Delivery Address

I have also Enabled Taxes for each EU country in Localization/Taxes

I have also Enabled Taxes for each EU country in Localization/Tax Rules (maximum tax rate in my case)

Nevertheless, VAT is only added to domestic customers (Spain) and not to customers of other European countries.

I have only configured prices to be shown as "tax excluded" in Catalog, given that the opposite may be considered misleading for foreign customers when going from status "visitor" and starting "add to cart" to the registration + 5 step payment process...

Can anyone tell me what's wrong in my settings?… Thanks in advance...

post-799004-0-92683600-1424246350_thumb.png

post-799004-0-37481600-1424246352_thumb.png

In addition to the config described above, I have the following settings in the Catalog/Products :

CATALOG / PRODUCTS / Prices Tab of any product :

"Tax Rule" in the product settings page force you to choose among "no tax" or any of the other countries' VAT… I chose ES Standard Rate (21%)...

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I have figured it out. It won't work if there are just tax rules for the delivery countries but it is necessary to add the tax rates for all delivery countries to the tax rule that applies to the product. Can anybody confirm that this is the correct way to add the foreign taxes?

Problem is that I would have to apply the new EU tax to more than 700 products. Anyway thanks for the hint. I will keep the EU tax module in mind. It seems to work if adding the foreign taxes to the tax that is applied to the products. For now I think I can live with this workaround.

Edited by prestamax (see edit history)

Hi there,

I have solved it long ago but given that no-one had shown interest I didn't wrote the solution.

It was a configuration problem, you don't need to install any module.

I created a single "tax rule" that I named "VAT standard rates"

(Go to LOCALIZATION/TAX RULES)

Within the rule "VAT standard rates" I added a RULE for each Country where I have delivery enabled

Spain : 21%

Germany : 19%

France : 20%

(and so on…)

SEE SCREEN SHOT ATTACHED

For each product :

Go to CATALOG/PRICES and choose the "tax rule" that applies which in my case I named "VAT standard rates"

SEE SCREEN SHOT ATTACHED

If you plan to install a module, I suggest you install a module for massive changes, so it would help you to choose the TAX RULE for all your catalogue, as well as any other massive changes you may need.

post-799004-0-73672700-1452416116_thumb.png

post-799004-0-78666800-1452416032_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

After Brexit was scratching my head how to apply different VAT per country.

This seems to solve my problem and Prestashop (v1.7) seems to be able to figure out the users country and automatically show the correct price based on the country (by IP) even before setting the delivery country.

THANKS!!

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2015 at 12:59 PM, frankpulido said:

Hello everybody,

All EU based companies have the same issue : we should apply VAT according to the "delivery address" of the customer. I do not sell B2B, by the way, so VAT should be charged always within EU destinations.

To destinations outside the EU, we do not charge VAT.

I have this settings in Localization/Taxes (Prestashop 1.6.0.9) :

Enable Tax : Yes

Display Tax in Shopping Cart : Yes

Based On : Delivery Address

I have also Enabled Taxes for each EU country in Localization/Taxes

I have also Enabled Taxes for each EU country in Localization/Tax Rules (maximum tax rate in my case)

Nevertheless, VAT is only added to domestic customers (Spain) and not to customers of other European countries.

I have only configured prices to be shown as "tax excluded" in Catalog, given that the opposite may be considered misleading for foreign customers when going from status "visitor" and starting "add to cart" to the registration + 5 step payment process...

Can anyone tell me what's wrong in my settings?… Thanks in advance...

post-799004-0-92683600-1424246350_thumb.png

post-799004-0-37481600-1424246352_thumb.png

It seems like you have set up your tax settings correctly in Prestashop, but you're still experiencing issues with VAT not being applied to customers from other EU countries. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

Check Tax Rules: Double-check the tax rules you've set up for each EU country in Prestashop's Localization/Tax Rules section. Make sure that the tax rates are correctly configured for each country.

Verify Customer Addresses: Ensure that the customers from other EU countries are entering their correct delivery addresses during checkout. Since you've set up taxes based on the delivery address, it's important that customers input their addresses accurately for the correct tax to be applied.

Test with Different Accounts: Create test accounts with addresses from various EU countries and simulate the checkout process to see if taxes are correctly applied. This can help identify if the issue is specific to certain countries or customers.

Clear Cache: Sometimes, cache issues can affect tax calculation in Prestashop. Clear your website's cache and browser cache to ensure that you're seeing the most up-to-date tax calculations.

Update Prestashop: Ensure that you're using the latest version of Prestashop. Sometimes, bugs related to tax calculation may be fixed in newer versions.

Review Configuration: Review your tax configuration settings in Prestashop to ensure that there are no conflicting settings or overrides that may be causing the issue.

Seek Support: If you're still unable to resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Prestashop's support or community forums for assistance. They may be able to provide further guidance or help troubleshoot the problem.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue with VAT not being applied to customers from other EU countries in Prestashop.