Cloud backup

Lauris

Question

Dear Readers,

Does anybody know how to backup and restore prestashop cloud?

I mean backup everything: data, files, database, installed modules, product images, etc.

Where and how can I test that resolving from backup works?

Best regards,

Lauris

Edited by Lauris (see edit history)

5 answers to this question

Yeah that's fairly key, I remember reading this recently on a dev talking about concerns of BigCommerce backing up on their cloud. http://digisavvy.com/bigcommerce-sucks-dyson-envious/

Main part of the full blog:

BigCommerce Doesn’t Do Backups of Customer Data!

YEAH. You heard right, brochacho y brochacha. BigCommerce does no backups of their customer’s data. So while making changes to a client’s site I was ready to transfer those changes to live. I pinged their support (who was very helpful by the way) and when I asked them if they could backup the prod site, I was told “We don’t have a backup tool to do that.” I asked “Wait, BigCommerce doesn’t provide backup tools or a service to backup customer sites?” I was told “No and that customers are responsible for backing up customer data and files.

Guys, I was floored. How do you have a hosted service and provide no backups for your customers. Now, I’m sure that HAS got to be a backup methodology of some variety, just not for customer use to restore single-user sets of data… Again, mind-blown. So, development is kind of bad and data protection just isn’t a thing over at BigCommerce

The inability to have in-depth product taxonomies is also limiting. Product variations exist, but if you have complex needs BigCommerce isn’t the solution for you. I think they’ve targeted a very small segment with their offering. But this is just a poorly thought-out platform, one that hinders design, development and a basic sense of security. What happens if BigCommerce experiences a data loss event? EVERYONE HAS THOSE at some point, no matter how infrequent, the lack of a backup tool is insane.

Dear Readers,

Does anybody know how to backup and restore prestashop cloud?

I mean backup everything: data, files, database, installed modules, product images, etc.

Where and how can I test that resolving from backup works?

Best regards,

Lauris

You should know that you cannot manage the PS cloud without any (paid) services by PrestShop. You may backup your files and the db, but as you don't have direct access to your database a restore is not possible without the technical support team of PrestaShop.

In order to guard against a nasty surprise you should catch up on what's free and what's to be paid (including future themes and modules).

You should know that you cannot manage the PS cloud without any (paid) services by PrestShop. You may backup your files and the db, but as you don't have direct access to your database a restore is not possible without the technical support team of PrestaShop.

In order to guard against a nasty surprise you should catch up on what's free and what's to be paid (including future themes and modules).

I have left the PS cloud - so I guess I have get my lessons learned! Sad so sad...